Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Henry J Gasser

Zippi

Build or buy a paint booth.  I also live in Southern Indiana, one time I painted 4 models at one time because the weather conditions were ideal that day.  But those conditions are rare.  Most of the time it’s too humid or windy or cloudy or too cold.  I ruined a number of paint jobs because of that.  It is amazing how much the conditions affect the paint job.  Even if you have no way to exhaust the vent, it will still capture most of the particulates.  I doubt very much your painting skills are lacking.  It is the conditions you are working in.  It is almost impossible to be consistent when you are fighting variable weather conditions.

2 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Build or buy a paint booth.  I also live in Southern Indiana, one time I painted 4 models at one time because the weather conditions were ideal that day.  But those conditions are rare.  Most of the time it’s too humid or windy or cloudy or too cold.  I ruined a number of paint jobs because of that.  It is amazing how much the conditions affect the paint job.  Even if you have no way to exhaust the vent, it will still capture most of the particulates.  I doubt very much your painting skills are lacking.  It is the conditions you are working in.  It is almost impossible to be consistent when you are fighting variable weather conditions.

Thanks Ron.  Yeah, weather conditions around here suck.  Maybe I could set one up on the back deck when I want to paint.  Can't put one in the garage due to my 49 Chevy Restomod being parted in there.  

I've got the engine installed so I did a little mock-up to make sure everything fits ok.  I had to cut the top radiator hose off as the hood wouldn't shut.  All else fits nice.  The exhaust shoots out pretty nice under the body 

20220217_122912.jpg

20220217_122940.jpg

20220217_123005.jpg

20220217_123033.jpg

20220217_123047.jpg

20220217_123100.jpg

20220217_123129.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 11:20 AM, Zippi said:

Well....after doing a little mock-up I have decided to go with the blown engine out of the Revell 29 Roadster.  Had to cut out the transmission cross member but it's looking pretty good.  The headers do touch the floor pan but the chassis and floor pan mate up just fine.  The stock drive shaft even fits perfect.     

20220216_105935.jpg

20220216_105944.jpg

20220216_110014.jpg

20220216_111405.jpg

20220216_120709.jpg

Hey man! This is great. I've tried it a couple times since it came out. Keep it going!

3 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Just a thought and then I’ll go away.  Why not use a car cover on your pickup when you get ready to paint if you are concerned about it?  Also, if finances allow it, use a dehumidifier in the garage.  This would be good for painting and storing a car.  

Thanks for the idea's Ron.  

17 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks Carl.  How does the compound work?  Glad to be back.

you can get some Tamiya compound wax your trash or uneven areas wax out with scratch x.  John, modelcarjr rubs out all his builds. Look at his Mustang under glass now.. I rarely do mine..

6 hours ago, slusher said:

you can get some Tamiya compound wax your trash or uneven areas wax out with scratch x.  John, modelcarjr rubs out all his builds. Look at his Mustang under glass now.. I rarely do mine..

Thanks for the info Carl. 

It's looking pretty good there Bob. I tried to build one of these kits back in the 80s and it didn't go very well at all. I'm glad to see you back, I was watching this and your other builds on your youtube channel on your little break from here. Pretty cool stuff, keep it going!

55 minutes ago, mchook said:

It's looking pretty good there Bob. I tried to build one of these kits back in the 80s and it didn't go very well at all. I'm glad to see you back, I was watching this and your other builds on your youtube channel on your little break from here. Pretty cool stuff, keep it going!

Thanks Mark.  Thanks for visiting my channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while but the weather was great today so I got the Henry J back in primer.  I'll be trying to get a decent Brilliant orange paint job tomorrow as the weather is going to be nice tomorrow as well.  

20220301_132426.jpg

20220301_132451.jpg

It was 58° with 32% humility so I shot the clean on the Henry J.  Came out better than I was expecting.  I'll let this cure for about 3 days then do a little wet sanding and polishing.   

20220304_132154.jpg

20220304_132318.jpg

20220304_132703.jpg

20220304_132712.jpg

20220304_132723.jpg

I’ve never had any version of the Henry J kit but having just gone through this threads it makes me want to get one and build it. You cured the biggest issue of the kit by ditching the very poorly done Ford SOHC engine and the replacement blown small block looks perfectly suited. I also really like the color choice. I used Brilliant Orange as an accent color on one of my models and will use it for the main color when the right project comes along.