Model Cars Magazine Forum

Every model has a story- and this model is totally, proudly era-incoherent!

Click here to see a complete online magazine article build/presentation (text, 31 photos, and captions) of this project began in 1985 and finished in February 2022.  What a long, winding rod model car building can be!  

Here are a few photos of the finished project.....thanks in advance for your interest.   TIM 

DSC 0456

DSC 0445

DSC 0439

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 6

• tim boyd changed the title to Every model has a story- and this model is totally, proudly era-incoherent!

Beautiful work all around.  I have a few that took 20 years to get around to finishing.  I can't wait 37 to get any of them done since I don't have that many years left in me🙂  Trouble is I need another couple hundred years to build what I do have.

Love the design and the paint looks fantastic. Enjoyed looking at the build pictures as well. I had a model I started in the '60's of the '50 Ford hardtop when it first came out. I went with the copped top and got as far as paint when life got in the way. Finished it in '08 after a little body work, I had gotten a little better at it in the meantime, and a repaint and interior. 

No wonder  I relate so well to your models!  Having retired early this year I am spending a lot more time at the bench, and getting long term projects finished is one of my main goals.  And yep, there are a few thirty plus years type projects in amongst them!

Your pickup looks perfect.  We sometimes forget that while hot rod magazines (remember them?) focussed on the latest, greatest trend setters, thousands of guys went ahead and built a hot rod to their own tastes and then modified it over the years - so they aren't all "era perfect" no matter what the H.A.M.B would have you believe. Your little tasting plate T bucket is a perfect example of this approach. I do remember the adverts for Hubcapper wheels but now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing many of them in my reading and in my travels. The roof really ties the whole car together - that's how I would display it.

Cheers

Alan

Glad to hear this story resonated with you all, and even better to hear it might encourage you to dig out some of your own old and long stalled model car projects.  

On an unrelated note, seems I have once again thought of a street rod pickup project as being a car, and posted it in the Cars under glass section, rather than a light truck that should go under the Light Truck under glass section.  Apologies in advance to the MCM Forum Moderators, who now have to take time to transfer it there.  One of these days I will finally learn! 

Best all....TIM   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My longest running project so far has been 5 years and now I don’t feel bad at all! 🤣

Nice workmanship throughout and I dig the black with French Blue accents. The mish-mash of parts has a very 70’s vibe to me. Like a 60’s built Fad T that got rebuilt with the wheels and other small parts updated.