Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster REVISED (former Rat Roaster tool)

An excellent series of comparison photos between the Stacey David Rat Roaster and the new Duvall windshield '32 Ford Roadster kit can be found here: https://newkoolestkruzers.forumactif.org/t8031-1-25-revell-32-ford-rat-roaster-vs-32-ford-roadster#240195 on the French Koolest Kruzers website. It's in French but there is so much "Franglais" English language jargon that it's easy to understand what's being said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, crossfire 2004 said:

Just ordered 2 from a French supplier as Germany will no longer ship to the U.K. and they should be with me before the end of the month.

could you send me a link? i cant find one that will ship to the uk and i'm not going to hannants for it cos they charge too much for the kit and shipping

10 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

As promised, the '32 Ford Roadsters have arrived. Anyone who has been anticipating them should check your LHS because they've probably come in there too!

20220930_190157.jpg

I have a question about your photos, is the pink T-Bird in the Revell box a reissue of the old1/24th scale Monogram kit? If it is it'll save me some cash as I already have a couple with one waiting on deck as a replica of a full size one I saw years ago, all a blue coarse metallic, the Shotgun 429 from the Poison Pinto kit (it has smooth chrome valve covers and a C-6 trans it gets narrowed painted to match the body bumpers with the only chrome being the windshield frame, and oddly enough red interior.

1 hour ago, horsepower said:

I have a question about your photos, is the pink T-Bird in the Revell box a reissue of the old1/24th scale Monogram kit? If it is it'll save me some cash as I already have a couple with one waiting on deck as a replica of a full size one I saw years ago, all a blue coarse metallic, the Shotgun 429 from the Poison Pinto kit (it has smooth chrome valve covers and a C-6 trans it gets narrowed painted to match the body bumpers with the only chrome being the windshield frame, and oddly enough red interior.

Yes the T-Bird is the old Monogram 1/24 kit.

7 hours ago, Calb56 said:

Thank you sir! I'm looking forward to getting this for some of the parts. Kinda bummed that their aren't more options...

Charles 

While not shown on the box art or on the instructions, many of the original Rat Roaster parts are still in the new kit, even including that Guitar from the original issue.  They might not (in totality) necessarily be the extra parts we'd ideally like to have, but they are good for kitbashing or stuffing the parts box.  TB

45 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

While not shown on the box art or on the instructions, many of the original Rat Roaster parts are still in the new kit, even including that Guitar from the original issue.  They might not (in totality) necessarily be the extra parts we'd ideally like to have, but they are good for kitbashing or stuffing the parts box.  TB

This is destined to be an important parts kit, as well as ensuring the survival (although somewhat modified) of the original 1/25th scale Revell Street Rod Deuce Roadster. The original Stacey David parts that matter IMHO are the wheels and tires, the cycle fenders, the chopped stock windshield, the stock-style firewall, the classic dashboard and steering wheel, the Speedway Motors style upholstered bomber seats, the circle-track style exhausts, a modern SBC, and the somewhat lowered front axle spring (unfortunately offset by the taller front tires), never mind the front Moon tank, circular taillights  and the hairpin radius rods from the  earlier Deuce 5-window variant. And while I might criticize the DuVall windshield for being too specialized, the Limefire style headers and the conservative, well-conceived classic tuck 'n' roll interior are certainly welcome additions. That's quite a list!

Question to those who have received this kit: Are the chassis rails still notched for the exhaust pipe extension going to the mufflers? Also, I assume the extensions molded into the rear pan to surround the fuel tank have survived.

Edited by Bernard Kron

3 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

This is destined to be an important parts kit, as well as ensuring the survival (although somewhat modified) of the original 1/25th scale Revell Street Rod Deuce Roadster. The original Stacey David parts that matter IMHO are the wheels and tires, the cycle fenders, the chopped stock windshield, the stock-style firewall, the classic dashboard and steering wheel, the Speedway Motors style upholstered bomber seats, the circle-track style exhausts, a modern SBC, and the somewhat lowered front axle spring (unfortunately offset by the taller front tires), never mind the front Moon tank, circular taillights  and the hairpin radius rods from the  earlier Deuce 5-window variant. And while I might criticize the DuVall windshield for being too specialized, the Limefire style headers and the conservative, well-conceived classic tuck 'n' roll interior are certainly welcome additions. That's quite a list!

Question to those who have received this kit: Are the chassis rails still notched for the exhaust pipe extension going to the mufflers? Also, I assume the extensions molded into the rear pan to surround the fuel tank have survived.

It seems that nearly all the DS parts including the interior panels are included (I don’t recall seeing the hood )and yes the frame is notched for the exhausts.

4 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

As Stuart says, the notches are still there. And the roll pan extensions are also there.  I found that I had to file a vertical notch in the roll pan to clear the gas tank cap, otherwise the body sat too for forward on the frame.  About a 30 second modification.   

The RR hood has been replaced with a smooth hood.  All the RR interior is still there, although the instrument panel (unchanged) is used in building the new kit.  Even the whatever it is shifter is still there.

Hope that helps....TB 

PS -there is one picture of the build on the FineScale site before the firewall if you want to see what it looks like assembled and painted..  

I don't know much about Hot Rod Culture, but does anyone else think that driving around with a fuel tank as your front bumper seems like a bad idea? 🤔

Other than that, it looks like a pretty cool kit to me. Good info about it sitting on the frame too far forward. Will I remember that when I build the kit? Probably not.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

I don't know much about Hot Rod Culture, but does anyone else think that driving around with a fuel tank as your front bumper seems like a bad idea? 🤔

Other than that, it looks like a pretty cool kit to me. Good info about it sitting on the frame too far forward. Will I remember that when I build the kit? Probably not.

The gas tank location is an iconic feature of the original Tom McMullen '32 Roadster, arguably one of the most iconic of all '32 Highboys.  In reality, these tanks were only used on the drag strip.  Many people copy the design cue these days in contemporary 1/1 scale builds, but I'm not aware of any of them actually using the tank for fuel.  I read somewhere that someone plumbed it as a radiator overflow tank or coolant reserve ; others use faux plumbing to make it look realistic.  

I believe I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that when Revell asked me (as I'm sure they did others) with ideas for updating the RR tool, I suggested to Revell that they make this kit an actual replica of the McMullen roadster, which was restored a few years back by Roy Brizio's team.   The idea never got off the ground, probably due in part to the amount of tooling revisions that would have been required, not to mention trying to sort out any copyright issues with the McMullen estate....TB 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The gas tank location is an iconic feature of the original Tom McMullen '32 Roadster, arguably one of the most iconic of all '32 Highboys.  In reality, these tanks were only used on the drag strip.  Many people copy the design cue these days in contemporary 1/1 scale builds, but I'm not aware of any of them actually using the tank for fuel.  I read somewhere that someone plumbed it as a radiator overflow tank or coolant reserve ; others use faux plumbing to make it look realistic.  

I believe I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that when Revell asked me (as I'm sure they did others) with ideas for updating the RR tool, I suggested to Revell that they make this kit an actual replica of the McMullen roadster, which was restored a few years back by Roy Brizio's team.   The idea never got off the ground, probably due in part to the amount of tooling revisions that would have been required, not to mention trying to sort out any copyright issues with the McMullen estate....TB 

Thanks for the explanation, Tim.  I appreciate it.  I'll have to Google that Tom McMullen '32 Roadster.