Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Roadster REVISED (former Rat Roaster tool)

Now that Revell has shared official boxart and promotional materials for this kit (including a test shot) at the 2022 Milwaukee NNL I think it's time for this kit to get it's own thread

revell-1932-ford-rat-roadster-14524-712-800x600px.jpg

New parts:

Duvall style windshield

Lakes style exhaust

Traditional roll and pleat style interior

Stock style hood top

image.png.eca2c8fb36acbe2e21d23fc931b1a62e.png

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Looks interesting.  Do you know if this shares any tooling with the '29 & '30 Model A hot rod kits?

It does not.

This tooling is from the series of 32 Ford that Revell/Monogram started back in 1996 with the 3 Window/Roaster/Speedwagon, and then continued with the Tudor sedan and lastly the 5 window coupe. 

However, the Rat Roaster, which became available in 2013 was all new tooling. But the tooling was designed for full compatibility with the previous 32 Fords.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

This tooling is from the series of 32 Ford

No, that was debunked when the rat Roaster debuted. @Brett Barrowdid a rather comprehensive comparison of the differences, IIRC. The Rat Roaster was designed using new tech, not old school 1/10 master buck and pattern work.

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

However, the Rat Roaster, which became available in 2013 was all new tooling. But the tooling was designed for full compatibility with the previous 32 Fords.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

No, that was debunked when the rat Roaster debuted. @Brett Barrowdid a rather comprehensive comparison of the differences, IIRC. The Rat Roaster was designed using new tech, not old school 1/10 master buck and pattern work.

You left out the part where I said it was ALL NEW TOOLING. Even if they didn't use the same masters, the RR parts all work with the older R/M deuce series parts as far as interchangeability goes. That's the point I was trying to make

It's nice to see that Revell's new owners haven't forgotten the American market.  You're never going to please everyone, but it looks like a nice kit for someone who just wants a model of a hot rod, but doesn't want to fuss a lot over it, and it doesn't look like it will take a lot to turn it into something you do want.

• Like 1

This is really good. They took away all the negative gimmicks from the Rat Roaster, and added some cool stuff, I'm in for multiples. I do agree that a beam axle would have been nice though. Kitbash in the flatty from the Tudor sedan, and you're almost to the Doane Spencer roadster.

• Like 2

I am really looking forward to this kit being available. It's kind of funny - I have built built three Duval Deuce Roadsters - two using the cowl and Duval windshield from the AMT Phantom Vickie and one using the great Duval windshield and roof from Replicas & Miniatures so I will likely be inclined to use a different windshield when I eventually build this kit. I am really favoring like the custom So-Cal windshield. I managed to fabricate one a few years ago but would sure like to have one available in a kit or from the after-market. The owner of the real car now has that model so I could not even make a master. And yes I sure wish they could have mastered a new beam axle, even better a drilled beam axle. Maybe with the next revision !! I should mention the Model A kit beam axle has a wider track than the Deuce kit so if that is used a new or revised rear axle is needed.

SO-CAL.jpg.ac598f6387b7cde0298f8498e6c02c50.jpg

• Like 2

They kept what was good about the Rat Roaster (wheels, tires, stock-ish firewall,  etc.) and jettisoned the stuff that wasn't so good (interior, headers, hood with the goofy-looking Buick portholes.) 

Great job, Revell! 

I wonder where Revell might go next with this tooling. One thought I had is if they were to produce additional bodies to be used with it, they could be different versions of body styles they've already done.

Imagine a chopped 3-window or chopped sedan body setting on this chassis. I'd be in for sure. 

44 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Wouldn't the beam axle from the '29-'30 kits be a drop in replacement for the tube axle? 

35 minutes ago, RickyD said:

Pretty much, yep. 

The Model A kit beam axle has a wider track than the Deuce kit so if that is used a new or revised rear axle is needed.

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

The Model A kit beam axle has a wider track than the Deuce kit so if that is used a new or revised rear axle is needed.

The wider track is mostly due to the drum brakes. Eliminate those and the track should be about right.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The wider track is mostly due to the drum brakes. Eliminate those and the track should be about right.

The Model A beam axle is actually up to 7mm wider than the 32 Ford tube axle from hub to hub depending on how the brakes are mounted whether disc or drum as can be seen in the photo. I have used the Model A axle on two Deuce builds and in both cases had to make sure the rear axle was of the appropriate width.IMG_0012.jpg.f3e024b1d40f9cc675afb77b3916d2b0.jpg

• Like 2