Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Chevy II Wagon

ksnow

This will be first ever WIP thread. Hopefully I remember to take pictures along the way. I work on models in fits and spurts, so there may be a few days between updates. I am building the AMT 63 Chevy II wagon. I am working on using the custom wheels and tires from the Revell 65 stepside Chevy. I had to add pieces of sprue inside to make new "hubs" for the kit metal axles. This is my first go at anything other than an OOB build. Mocked up, I think I am happy with the stance.

20220428_205005.jpg

20220430_122406.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, espo said:

Good idea for adapting the wheels. Looks like you may have a V8 lurking on the bench. 

That's the Hemi drag engine from the kit. I am building up the straight 6, but not set on engine choice yet.

When I worked at a Cadillac dealer, we worked on a lot of cars that had more show than go, I may opt for that on this build.

2 minutes ago, ksnow said:

That's the Hemi drag engine from the kit. I am building up the straight 6, but not set on engine choice yet.

When I worked at a Cadillac dealer, we worked on a lot of cars that had more show than go, I may opt for that on this build.

Depending on what you have in mind, think about a multi carb or even turbo charged in line. 

I have the inline 6 built as stock, but got to poking through my stash last night. Found the 37 Chevy salt flats racer has an inline 6 with several performance parts. The overall length is different for sure, would need to fab some sort of driveshaft extension. I am not sure I would want to try to remove the molded in driveshaft from the wagon chassis. Still not sure about the engine. I'll keep poking at the interior and getting the body ready for paint and stew on it a little.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a little more bench time in between spring chores and work travel. Got the body sprayed, Testor's green metal flake. And wouldn't you know it, a dust spot just about smack dab in the center of the roof. I will try to sand it out, but I'm sure I will have to spray the body again. I am happy with the color, should look good with the big chrome wheels.

20220622_185513.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Great stance and color choice. It may be a bit late now with the dark body color but a white or silver roof would look great! Silver would probably cover the green better.

Later-

There is a bad dust spot in the roof that I will need to sand out. You've got me thinking now about a silver roof. Maybe I will see how the sanding goes and if it needs a repaint, silver might get the nod. That would really tie in with the wheels.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Two years later, and I've finally got some progress to show. Got the body on the chassis for another dry fit. Engine is ready to go in. I am happy with the wheels and stance. Another opportunity has risen, with the chrome air cleaner, the hood won't sit flat. I hadn't even thought to check that. So, have to figure out what to do there.

20240428_140202.jpg

20240428_140152.jpg

20240428_140144.jpg

Edited by ksnow
  • Like 4

On 4/29/2024 at 8:58 PM, slusher said:

Nice stance, that’s looking great!

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, David G. said:

Again Kyle, I just love that color!

The wheels and stance look great too.

David G.

Thanks. Its a Testor's spray can color, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Glad to see you're back on this little wagon. Like the paint, did you fix the roof issue? An idea on your air cleaner issue. The OEM air cleaner on one of these was usually pretty thin with the hood clearance being a real issue. You know the cold air intake and K & N style cone air filters and air boxes used on many performance cars, why not make something like that here since you already have the wheel and tires. 

15 hours ago, espo said:

Glad to see you're back on this little wagon. Like the paint, did you fix the roof issue? An idea on your air cleaner issue. The OEM air cleaner on one of these was usually pretty thin with the hood clearance being a real issue. You know the cold air intake and K & N style cone air filters and air boxes used on many performance cars, why not make something like that here since you already have the wheel and tires. 

I did repaint the roof, and its better now. 

Still thinking about the air cleaner issue. Not sure what to do about it quite yet. Hearing that the OEM air cleaners were tight makes me feel not so bad about what I did.

That's looking great Kyle. Coming along nicely.

As for the air cleaner, there's a couple things you can try, First is cutting the carb down a little. You usually can't see the top of them when the air cleaner's on so it's not noticeable. You could also carefully drill out the underside center of the ait cleaner a bit. I'd use a bit slightly larger then the top of the carb and be vary careful not to go through it. You just want it so the carb will sit slightly up in the hole. 

Easiest to just cut down the carb, I've done it several times.