Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy Phantom RPU

Jantrix

On 7/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, bisc63 said:

That engine is a looker, and MADE for that engine bay! Good stuff.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, slusher said:

Really coming together Rob, great looking engine!

7 hours ago, David G. said:

Coming along nicely, the engine looks great.

David G.

Thanks guys. This one is coming together slow but sure. Having channeled the body over the frame a bit everything needs to be massaged a little or a lot. I've got  plan for paint, finally. I will go with the front stripe like the original vehicle, but I'm reversing the colors. The vehicle will be lighter than the stripe. The body will be Testors lacquer Graphite Dust and the stripe will be Revving Red , from the same line. I will then clear with Duplicolor 1K Ultra Gloss. I'm going to do a test paint very soon and I'll post up the results. 

i really love what you did for the grille surround because , i did exactly the same on a Bel Air ! 🤩

Anyway, the 57 cadillac has being reissued recently, and you can find 57 cad dagmars in amt parts packs, very easy  to find on ebay if you would love to make the same bumper on yours ;-)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zed said:

i really love what you did for the grille surround because , i did exactly the same on a Bel Air ! 🤩

Anyway, the 57 cadillac has being reissued recently, and you can find 57 cad dagmars in amt parts packs, very easy  to find on ebay if you would love to make the same bumper on yours 😉

Thanks for the info Zed. Honestly I prefer my design with the Desoto grill over the Caddy Dagmars, so I'm really happy with what I have here. I can't wait to see it painted.

18 hours ago, thatz4u said:

Rob, great build.....looks sorta like my Merc rat....Al

It sure does Al. I remember when you did that and it was a factor in my interest in this build. Revell's '49 Merc and '50 Olds were in the running for this build but ultimately I chose the Chevy because that's that's what the 1:1 vehicle is and I had lots of parts from other projects, that needed to get used up. I do owe you a big thank you because, I've been wondering about what tail lights to use and as you used the same rear fenders as I did, and I think I have a set of those tail lights floating around here somewhere. So thanks very much for posting those photos. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Pics this weekend. I have decided against the stripe. It's very novel and it sure stands out on a custom, but it sure isn't what I would do to a 1:1. I'll be using some nice pin stripe decals instead.

Also, if anyone plans on customizing one of these AMT '51's, do yourself a favor and be very careful sanding off the chrome hood ornament. I was a little to aggressive with mine and I ended up really messing up the lines/shape of the hood and it took me a few tries before I got it back looking proper.

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 3:11 PM, Kims Kustom Garage said:

Well, this is interresting. Klaus is a friend of mine, and a very cool guy. I just love his Lady Luck, and its a cool rod to ride in 😁

Outstanding. I'm happy to hear from you. I contacted Klaus briefly through his Facebook account. He was very accommodating on information on his car. I have set this build aside while I decide on a finish for the model. I just cannot decide on a color, gloss or flat, stripe, no stripe etc. I'm not usually so wishy washy about such things, I usually have a solid plan, but this one is tough.

Welcome to the forums though.

Edited by Jantrix

5 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Outstanding. I'm happy to hear from you. I contacted Klaus briefly through his Facebook account. He was very accommodating on information on his car. I have set this build aside while I decide on a finish for the model. I just cannot decide on a color, gloss or flat, stripe, no stripe etc. I'm not usually so wishy washy about such things, I usually have a solid plan, but this one is tough.

Welcome to the forums though.

Thank you buddy 🙂 
Og yes, I know about the paintjobs on the models. I have a couple also just laying around, because I cant decide for the paintjob 😅

• 1 month later...