Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

Tim Boyd mentioned that the 68 Coronet hardtop will be after the convertible.  This is his response on that , which was a few responses up on this topic.

I would expect a hardtop version to follow probably about 9-12 months after the convertible if past timing by Round 2 of derivative kits using the "cloning" method is any example. 

Later on, I expect you may even see a third version using this tooling set, based on the hardtop body, but that one could follow a year or two after the hardtop (my guess only).  

TB 

Edited December 7, 2022 by tim boyd

Edited by GMP440
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Yup.  I'd really rather the hardtop myself, so I'm gonna express my disapproval by nabbing a couple convertibles first.

That'll show 'em.

:)

Hah!   That's the spirit, Chuck  (smile).   

Meanwhile, in 1/1 the convertible body style of any muscle era car (e.g. 1968 R/T) is mostly more valuable (and more desirable) than the hardtop version, while in 1/25th it has been the (for six decades now, according to those in the know, that hardtop models always outsell the convertible versions, often by wide margin....hmmm....TB

PS - I'm buying the convertible version of this one big-time....TB  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Meanwhile, in 1/1 the convertible body style of any muscle era car (e.g. 1968 R/T) is mostly more valuable (and more desirable) than the hardtop version, while in 1/25th it has been the (for six decades now, according to those in the know, that hardtop models always outsell the convertible versions, often by wide margin.

No body wanted the weight penalty of a drop-top when it came to Muscle Cars [et alia]. Conversely, the top S/S champion was the Briggs Chevrolet 1970 Chevelle convertible LS-6 which ruled SS/EA.

I've seen one-of-the-two (both exist, along with the remaining 9 ( 7 U.S.-spec models, 2 Canadian, 2 exports) 1971 Hemi 'Cuda convertibles which were exported to France. Likewise, I'd read about a restored '70 Hemi 'Cuda convertible which was campaigned in either SS/DA or SS/EA via cosmetic changes (1971 models shipping weight was fudged by Chrysler; 1970 was in SS/D(A), vs. 1971 in SS/E(A) ). 

• Like 1

Interior shows less, probably. Plus most affordable stuff being recreated in scale were coupes. 
I’m a convertible guy, but completionist so have to have both. Took a long time to find my 68 and 69 convertibles. Builders both, but nice. Had to convert a 70 as well for the set, Holthaus helped. 
Glad these are coming. 

It might also have to do with the fact, that in kit form the convertibles are just more fragile. The Windshield Frames bend and break, and interior detailing was not the forte of many builders, years ago. I think there are many reasons, why hardtop/sedan kits sell better. And, I suspect that if were to ask questions at an NNL, about the preference many modelers could tell that they were less comfortable with convertibles but, could not articulate exactly why.

22 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Hah!   That's the spirit, Chuck  (smile).   

Meanwhile, in 1/1 the convertible body style of any muscle era car (e.g. 1968 R/T) is mostly more valuable (and more desirable) than the hardtop version, while in 1/25th it has been the (for six decades now, according to those in the know, that hardtop models always outsell the convertible versions, often by wide margin....hmmm....TB

PS - I'm buying the convertible version of this one big-time....TB  

Generally speaking highly desirable/valuable 1:1 cars are not as valuable as models wile somewhat obscure/less valuable 1:1 cars are more valuable as models. This is logical as desirable/valuable 1:1 cars are kitted more often than obscure/less valuable 1:1 cars. Last year I got a nice MPC 66 Bonniville and my 1:1 car friends didn't get my excitement about finding it.

All 68-70 Coronet convertibles are fairly valuable as the total convertible production was less than 2k per year. They are much less common than the 68-70 Plymouth B-body convertibles. This is mostly because from 68-70 Dodge B-body convertibles were only available as the top trim level models (Coronet 500 & R/T) while the Plymouth B-body convertibles were available on top trim level models (Sport Satellite & GTX) as well as mid trim level (Satellite & 69-70Road Runner).

Below are pictures of my 68 Coronet convertible (taking it to prom in the mid 80's and today mid restoration).

prom 1987.jpg

Resized952022111795094325.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stavanzer said:

It might also have to do with the fact, that in kit form the convertibles are just more fragile. The Windshield Frames bend and break, and interior detailing was not the forte of many builders, years ago. I think there are many reasons, why hardtop/sedan kits sell better. And, I suspect that if were to ask questions at an NNL, about the preference many modelers could tell that they were less comfortable with convertibles but, could not articulate exactly why.

No problem articulating my preference: I have no interest in owning a 1:1 convertible.  Why would I want to purchase/build a model of a car that I wouldn't want as a 1:1?

Same reason I don't buy/build European exotics.  I suspect the same applies to most model builders.

When there's a model subject that I want, and the only version is a convertible, of course I'll pick one up.  A perfect example is the MPC 1970 Bonneville convertible.  We're lucky that the tooling still exists, but I would much prefer if it was the hardtop.

• Like 1

Well. There are those of us with eclectic tastes (AMT's new Charger, Revell's '71 Mustang and Tamiya's GMA T50 all have me crazy stoked in nearly equal measure), and some of us are nearly as enthusiastic about plastic model kits for their own sake as we are about the subjects they capture.

Which is why I, by way of f'rinstance, will gladly snap up a convertible or two in anticipation of the hardtop I'd prefer.  There's one I want more - but I still want 'em both.

Something else appealing about a convertible model, even though I wouldn't own a 1:1 ragtop?  No roof to paint and polish!  That can knock 30-40% off your body finishing time.

:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

...and the only version is a convertible, of course I'll pick one up... I would much prefer if it was the hardtop.

I've always felt the same, and learned the hard way to ALWAYS wait for the hardtop:

- Revellogram 59 Caddy, 55 Chevy, 59 Chevy, 65 Chevy, AMT 64 Olds Cutlass, and no doubt squillions of others over the years.

• Haha 1

Ya know, if they can retool this one up from scratch, then there is another one that I wont mention one they can tool up from scratch. Yet they stubbornly wont. 😡

"You're as funny as a frt in a space suit.", was my reply.

Hmm… I’m going to write that one down. 

Edited by drksd4848

3 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

Ya know, if they can retool this one up from scratch, then there is another one that I wont mention one they can tool up from scratch. Yet they stubbornly wont.

I have a 1972 Road Runner idea what you're digging at. To help scratch that itch: make it a 1971 and or 1972 -- easily accomplished (from my uninitiated perspective).