Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

I have an original 80s version of the ‘71 Road Runner sitting on my bench. I just can’t get myself to build it though because it is still in the original wrapping and I feel like I would be desecrating it.  I know this seems irrational but it’s just how I feel. I would prefer them to just re-issue it. 71, 72 either one (although I would prefer 72)  They are tooling up new stuff all the time, they can’t just re-tool this one? They’ve re-issued the 74 Road Runner thousand times so most of the parts are already on the shelf. 

Anyway, I have ranted and raved about this forever so it’s kind of old news.  I’ve reached out repeatedly to them to either ask if it’s coming or formally request it and they never respond. So I’m almost at the point of being resigned to the fact that it is never going to be reissued for what I feel is no good reason. 

Edited by drksd4848

17 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I have a 1972 Road Runner idea what you're digging at. To help scratch that itch: make it a 1971 and or 1972 -- easily accomplished (from my uninitiated perspective).

At this point it's clear we can reverse engineer (clone) any kit we choose.  Are you suggesting we redo the MPC '71 and/or '72 Plymouth Roadrunner kits ? 

-Steve   

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

I have an original 80s version of the ‘71 Road Runner sitting on my bench. I just can’t get myself to build it though because it is still in the original wrapping and I feel like I would be desecrating it.  I know this seems irrational but it’s just how I feel. I would prefer them to just re-issue it. 71, 72 either one (although I would prefer 72)  They are tooling up new stuff all the time, they can’t just re-tool this one? They’ve re-issued the 74 Road Runner thousand times so most of the parts are already on the shelf. 

Anyway, I have ranted and raved about this forever so it’s kind of old news.  I’ve reached out repeatedly to them to either ask if it’s coming or formally request it and they never respond. So I’m almost at of being resigned to it never coming for what I feel is no good reason. 

I guess your handle makes that clear enough.   Like this post if you agree we should do a 71 and or 72 Roadrunner soon. 

-Steve 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Like I said, they retool or have made new tooling for these reissue kits all the time.  (This coronet is a prime example) but they can’t retool this one? Why is that? I’ve speculated that they just don’t like the car/kit  because every other reason doesn’t seem to add up.   I think they could re-issue this one they just choose not to.  

There’s plenty of demand for it. Just look at the old ones on eBay and what they go for. (I get annoyed with the guy who’s been cannibalizing them and selling them piece by piece. That’s just sleazy). Also there’s a hobby shop I visit frequently and the owner always says that people stop by and ask for this one more than any other. And he can’t understand why they don’t just reissue it either. 

So that’s my story.

Edited by drksd4848
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SteveG said:

At this point it's clear we can reverse engineer (clone) any kit we choose.  Are you suggesting we redo the MPC '71 and/or '72 Plymouth Roadrunner kits ? 

-Steve   

Absolutely, please. Like the '68 Coronet, the 1971-1972 Road Runner could use some upgrades/reengineering (correct interior, i.e., Road Runner's correct door cards; optional Dana 60 axle in addition to the kits' 8.75" assembly; separate exhaust; separate brake booster/master cylinder).

Likewise: both grille inserts and unique rear bumpers (upgraded tail lamps for the '72, with separate back-up lamp portion -- the original has that moulded-in the bumper). Period correct aftermarket wheels and tyres would be nice, too.

I realise that these are heavy requests; in simpler terms (not that you're incapable of grasping the ostentatious aspects), same treatment that the (outstanding) '68 Coronet has received.

Thank you kindly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

I have an original 80s version of the ‘71 Road Runner 

I have two copies of that 1987-reissue of the 1971 annual (with new, 1980's wheels, and new decal set; moulded in yellow) as well. I also have the 1972 grille/insert and rear bumper/tail lamps which I got from Modelhaus about 10 years ago.

They're - the 1980's edition -not impossible to find, but they are usually quite expensive when one sees them. I got lucky with the two I'd purchased, having paid maybe $40.00 each.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I have two copies of that 1987-reissue of the 1971 annual (with new, 1980's wheels, and new decal set; moulded in yellow) as well. I also have the 1972 grille/insert and rear bumper/tail lamps which I got from Modelhaus about 10 years ago.

They're - the 1980's edition -not impossible to find, but they are usually quite expensive when one sees them. I got lucky with the two I'd purchased, having paid maybe $40.00 each.

That’s so funny. I have the exact same thing. 87 reissue, with Modelhaus  72 parts and a resin 72 hood.  I also have a resin 72 body but the A pillar broke. Grrrrr.

Edited by drksd4848

1 minute ago, drksd4848 said:

The only rub with doing a 71/72 combo (which I could only hope they do) are the side marker lights. But that could be solved with slide decals. 

Or, tool up a set of the 1972 & later 'universal' side lamps, on a clear tree. Advanced builders could fill the 1971 lamps and place the 1972's in their proper location. For this matter, one could simply apply the (proposed) 1972 lamps over the 1971's lamps.

• Like 1

Love those ‘71/72 Plymouths.  Would definitely to see them reissued.  Built the yellow ‘71 RR reissue back in ‘88, found a few more of those and a couple ‘71 RR annuals, along w/ the ‘71 GTX and ‘72 RR about 20 years ago on eBay. 

Edited by Rob Hall

definitely would like to see a 1971 or 1972, Road Runner or GTX come back.

Some chassis changes will also be needed if it is based on something in the current tooling catalog.  Over time, the chassis has gone thru several revisions from dual exhaust to single exhaust with a catalytic converter and maybe back again.  But I think it would be worth it. 

Round 2 has been doing a great job on the kits they are bringing back.

1 minute ago, tim boyd said:

DSC 0344

DSC 0345

Alright, couple of questions:

1. How did you do the chrome moldings around the wheel wells?  I always felt that those wheel molding made the car. My parents RR had them.

2. Where did you get the side view mirrors?  (If I remember correctly, those kits never came with them, (or at least the '87 reissue didn't)

Oh, and... BEAUTIFUL WORK!

I remember reading an article by @tim boydin S.A.E. in c.2008 about his 1972 Road Runner annual kit. He painted it a short-lived colour (I believe it's GY4 Meadow Green -- I'll double check in a moment) and added the air cleaner assembly from the AMT 1971 Charger R/T; wheels from the AMT 1968-1969 Road Runner.

The interior of the MPC 1971-1972 R.R. has always had the door cards from the higher trim level Satellite Sebring/GTX which is incorrect for a Road Runner. The bucket seats are correct for an upgraded upholstery optioned 'Runner, as is the console, but the rest is not (and, it's not a big deal to me, though I would prefer the correct cards be included).

[EDIT]: The paint colour I'm referring to that's on Boyd's '72 is GJ3; nomenclature is the same (Meadow Green).

72_Satellite0013.jpg

21 minutes ago, Stef said:

MOPAR MADNESS:

Would love to see the 71/72 RR/GTX return

Also please bring back the 74 Super Charger!

And 74 Cuda Pro Street!

MPC-6333-2T-3758332056.jpg

WOW!  I HAD THAT SUPER CHARGER as a kid!!  I completely forgot about that kit!!!  COOL!!!

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I remember reading an article by @tim boydin S.A.E. in c.2008 about his 1972 Road Runner annual kit. He painted it a short-lived colour (I believe it's GY4 Meadow Green -- I'll double check in a moment) and added the air cleaner assembly from the AMT 1971 Charger R/T; wheels from the AMT 1968-1969 Road Runner.

The interior of the MPC 1971-1972 R.R. has always had the door cards from the higher trim level Satellite Sebring/GTX which is incorrect for a Road Runner. The bucket seats are correct for an upgraded upholstery optioned 'Runner, as is the console, but the rest is not (and, it's not a big deal to me, though I would prefer the correct cards be included).

[EDIT]: The paint colour I'm referring to that's on Boyd's '72 is GJ3; nomenclature is the same (Meadow Green).

Hmm...  I could tell you that my parents real life '72 RR had the exact door trim in the picture, which was the same door trim in the 1987 '71 reissue.

1 hour ago, drksd4848 said:

WOW!  I HAD THAT SUPER CHARGER as a kid!!  I completely forgot about that kit!!!  COOL!!!

Nice, @drksd4848, glad to remind you of its awesomeness. Imma buy a case of 'em when Round 2 no doubt brings this one back to life.

My understanding is its chassis and engine originally date back to the 68 Coronet, so we're now closer than ever to seeing this one again.

Thank you Round2 for making some really big power moves; keep 'em coming, and we'll keep signing over our estates.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveG said:
9 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Anyway, I have ranted and raved about this forever so it’s kind of old news.  I’ve reached out repeatedly to them to either ask if it’s coming or formally request it and they never respond. So I’m almost at of being resigned to it never coming for what I feel is no good reason. 

Expand  

I guess your handle makes that clear enough.   Like this post if you agree we should do a 71 and or 72 Roadrunner soon. 

-Steve 

Last issued in 1987, and now as I understand it, the tool is MIA. Maybe we should put it on a milk carton? I too would like to see it back.

I've often wondered why they don't use the very nice 1971 Charger, and do a Plymouth body and interior for it.

As really a good idea that the cloning/small improvements are (and it really is), I think if you have a superior modern tool that could act as a base ready, to not too additional inserts to use seems rather silly. I would think it would be much more cost-effective, and deliver a better end product.

Charlie Larkin

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Just wondering; could separate clear side markers for the '72, cover engraved ones for the '71, or are they positioned differently?

The 71s side markers covered a larger area, so I’m not sure if you could cover them up with a plastic piece.  Personally, I just go with a waterslide decal and be careful to position it correctly.  Although I suppose they could make some concessions in the body mold to make them interchangeable. I doubt anyone’s going to take out a micrometer to check to see if the size of the side markers are completely accurate 😅

• Haha 1