Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I think the above recap is an excellent description of the changes that would be necessary to do a Super Bee kit, and as a result a good explanation of why a 1968 Super Bee kit variant is very unlikely in my point of view.Ā  Some of these changes to accommodate a SuperBee would be impossible to achieve without mods to the newly done body tooling pieces, which in my view is very unlikely from a business case perspective.Ā Ā 

Historically, the 1968 Coronet R/T was the much better seller than the 1968 SuperBee which of course was a hurry-up mid year intro and never got any real market momentum in 1968.Ā  (Of course, it handily overtook the R/T the next model year, and then only added to its desirability as a kit topic with the A13 SixPack addition at mid-year 1969.)Ā  Ā Which means from a kit marketability point of view, a kitmaker would not want to irretrievably change a tool to the less popular version in the 1/1 scale world...

BTW, no insider info here, only my thoughts....

TB

Ā 

I have a connection to the 1:1 muscle car world and the hot Super Bees are 69 and 70. The 68's just don't get that much love. I have even seen a trend of people putting 69 grilles/front clips on 68's.

In the model car world, we have had 69, 70 and 71 Super Bees available for years so we have a demand for the 68 that is not necessarily reflected in the 1:1 world.

I say all of this as the longtime owner of a 68 Coronet.

Carmak.

Coronet R/T and 500 are higher trim levels, whereas the Super Bee was based on the low(er) trim levels, especially the coupe (post, et al.).

Creating a Super Bee from the R/T kit would require - for accuracy's sake - an all new upholstery pattern and door cards.

Here's the definitive source for Chrysler stuff(feel free to peruse the rest of the library):The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1968 Dodge Dealership Data Book - Super Bee (hamtramck-historical.com)

For comparison, here's the early (prior to c.May 1968) Coronet literature :Ā Ā The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1968 Dodge Dealership Data Book - Coronet (hamtramck-historical.com)

• 4 weeks later...

How neato would it be for Round2 to include theĀ D.O.H.C. 426 HemiĀ in theĀ hardtopĀ version of this kit? Too late to include it in the convertible, but not for the hardtop (through the lens of the untrained me). May as well also tool up a Dana 60 for the hardtop while they're at it -- and/or tool up a separate Torqueflite for the D.O.H.C.Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Nothing mentioned thus far, but interval with Cutlass was surprisingly brief. Pent up market so sooner Iā€™d think.Ā 

Depending on tooling lay-out, to cut down time (waste*), specific to both, parts could have been run already.Ā 

Ā 

* Tooling set up time, test shots.

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I drooled over that review last night. Man, Round2 looks to have a Winner here.

I hope the 5000 first run kits don't sell out too fast.

I believe they will, I think with the multiples guys many will have to wait even on preorders..

16 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I drooled over that review last night. Man, Round2 looks to have a Winner here.

I hope the 5000 first run kits don't sell out too fast.

Did Round 2 state that the 68 Coronet convt first run release is 5000 kits?