Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate Miniatures Corvette Grand Sport

JC, Bill, Andrew, thanks for the help.

I like the stance on the last pic posted by JC. I was thinking of adding a bit of lean and this is a good guide.

As for tire sizes it's always hard to figure out from era tire size specs because aspect ratio being 70% or 78% on road tires may not be the same for race tires.

Measuring era pictures and scaling around the known 15" wheels my best guess was that the fronts were about 25-26 and the rears about 27

Kit tires equate to 27 front and 28 rears, a bit large as expected.

Just for fun I dropped Fujimi GT40 tires on the GS rims to see the difference. The Fujimi tires measure to an equivalent 26 front and 28 rear. I would not want to sacrifice the Fujimi kit for tires but just see how it looks.

GS wip12.jpg

GS wip13.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Welcome back friend! I am looking at ways to get the car to look more natural and I agree with you that some decal solution is needed to break the tall sidewall appearance.

Despite the challenges I love this car so much that I have a second kit on order. First one will be chassis 004 Sebring 1964.

Okay, so you're doing the blue #3 car. Looking forward to your color mix for that metallic blue. Should be awesome as usual. I guess it will be like the #65 car that someone posted earlier in the thread. I've always liked that color.

Edited by MarkJ

14 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Okay, so you're doing the blue #3 car. Looking forward to your color mix for that metallic blue. Should be awesome as usual. I guess it will be like the #65 car that someone posted earlier in the thread. I've always liked that color.

I'll use Mecom blue and Cadillac Pelham blue as starting point and do mixing test cards. Right now I see it as a slightly grayish medium blue metallic.

18 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Maybe too late at this point for you, but if you can get hold of the a-arms that HRM makes for this kit, they help correct the front ride height. In hindsight, I wish I had lowered the rear a little when I built mine.

107 Corvette Grand Sport RF

Beautiful GS Steve. What did you use for tires and tire decals?

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

I'll use Mecom blue and Cadillac Pelham blue as starting point and do mixing test cards. Right now I see it as a slightly grayish medium blue metallic.

Yes, that sounds like the way to go.  Are those Tamiya colors or Vallejo?

6 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Beautiful GS Steve. What did you use for tires and tire decals?

Thanks, Pierre - I'm sure yours will be great!

Tires are just the kit tires. Decals I can't quite remember - maybe Fred Cady, but I keep a few different sheets around that have the Goodyear Blue Streak circles. I know Indycals makes some now: https://www.indycals.net/decals/tires/blueringtires.html

Anyway, build thread here from a few years back, and once again, good luck with yours. I'll be watching.

Today I tackled on finishing the chassis ride height. This is a major issue with this kit and a must fix for me to proceed with the rest of the build.

I first took action on Bill's observation that the body's fender lips need thinning. I want to address this first before finessing the wheel positioning.

My first time using a mini grinder...cools and a bit scary. Worked out ok, with some finesse sanding to follow. I might want to remove more material eventually, not sure.

GS wip14.jpg

GS wip15.jpg

Discovered yet one more interference to fix. Tire contact to roll bar support. Fixed that and Thinned at an angle the back side of the rear disc/hub part to get rear wheels to align properly.

For the front side I still need to go lower. The fit from hub/disk to upright is a square into square so I removed some material to allow to slide the interface up. Lots of finessing to get the 4 tires to sit square to the ground.

GS wip16.jpg

GS wip17.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work. You might consider getting medium and fine grit diamond burr sets. You won't get the rough edges that occur when using regular grinding bits or drum sanders and you'll have better control on how much material is removed.

Looks like you nailed it to me Pierre. The fender openings look so much more like the real car now and the car is sitting down like it should now. I think you also cleaned up the work you did on the fenders perfectly.