Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Another comment Steven...you are a master at doing the emblems.  I would be scared to death removing the paint from the foil.

You might be surprised.

It’s really not that difficult.

All you need is magnification......and a fairly steady hand. 😊

Steve

On 10/22/2022 at 3:20 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thank you!

The panel lines have had nothing to darken them.

I just scribed them very deeply before paint.

Nothing is really needed after that.

Steve

Since you are so good at this, do you alter your panel lining technique with lighter or darker colors? Or is simply deep scribing all you ever do?

Thank you everyone!

Couldn't wait to get started foiling, and I thought that this was going to be a pretty easy one, but the rocker panel moldings turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected.

The engraving is so deep between the ridges that it was virtually impossible to get the foil all of the way into the grooves without tearing.

Luckily, the '64 Bonneville rocker trim has silver paint in between with chrome ridges, so I basically had to cut in between each ridge to get the foil snugged down tight, and then painted the trim with steel paint, and finally, cleaned it off of the surface of the ridges with thinner.

image.jpeg.d9268bce44773661aa0fcf5a9f586c4c.jpeg

image.jpeg.d37e0ca53fff164977431267c0a8439e.jpeg

image.jpeg.91f124b7f820a654b5eea15900c7183f.jpeg

image.jpeg.c2620fc375c0c743ce155b06b68d9dfb.jpeg

Steve

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Kickstand said:

I am planning on building a 68' Firebird convertible so I have been going thru this thread with great interest.

Question: Did you custom make the hood hinges, or did they come from a donor kit?

The hinges are modified kit pieces from the Moebius '61 Pontiac Ventura kit.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work Steven! Including the foil work. Are you using BMF? I ask because it doesn’t appear to have any distinguishable grain which I find BMF usually does. The windshield moldings look incredibly smooth.

Cheers,    
Wolf

37 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Beautiful work Steven! Including the foil work. Are you using BMF? I ask because it doesn’t appear to have any distinguishable grain which I find BMF usually does. The windshield moldings look incredibly smooth.

Cheers,    
Wolf

It is BMF, but most of the foil around the windows is from an older sheet.

The newer sheets that I have have a little more texture to them.

Steve

19 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Steven G. perfection as usual.    About the grainyness in the newest BMF, I'm guessing it's a different glue in the latest stuff as opposed to the glue in the most previous non-sticking stuff.

The graininess is due to the adhesive, but I'm hoping that they'll be able to dial that in a little more too.

The sheet that I have from prior to the "pandemic" is as smooth as silk, and still adheres well, so it can be done, and has been in the past.

Steve

I've finished up the foiling on the body, and now I've moved on the a few remaining body details that I wanted to address.

Being as this is a convertible, and the inside of the window areas will be readily visible, I decided to see what I could do about adding a little more realism to the inside of the vent windows.

There's nothing that says "model" or "toy"  more than thick kit glass just glued to the inside of the body.

So first I used a similar technique as in recent past builds, and added inside A-Pillar covers, as well as windshield header trim.

The glass is made of .007 "Clear Lay Film", and the windshield will be a "friction fit" configuration.

The trim covers were added before paint, so now I could begin adding the rubber seals, glass and interior trim pieces in a sandwich fashion.

First the seals, then glass, then trim.

Rubber seals were made from the same clear film as the glass, and the chrome trim is just foiled lengths of .010 x .030 styrene strip.

This also helped add the affect of side window channels in the back of the vent window.

Everything seems to have turned out pretty well, so I can now finish the other side.   

image.jpeg.7ce4fbfedd19a684c764f40c74a1e664.jpeg

image.jpeg.bf5551cc197185fa8fb79e3887223ca4.jpeg

image.jpeg.402cec55b9a1d56cd62ad67e18f54c34.jpeg

image.jpeg.1a8ba32c948ab644b3de31a7be5a1109.jpeg

image.jpeg.d95d11f50892e5fa91f7db48fe4ca1b8.jpeg

Just a couple of comparison shots of the unmodified side. (with the added A-pillar cover of course)

image.jpeg.188c9970ee5d439047da6cebe0008d12.jpeg

image.jpeg.cf9af12fb93d8f4ea582e921de76e9b1.jpeg

Steve

• Like 4