Model Cars Magazine Forum

A most incredible piece of heretofore unknown AMT kit history...their 1915 Chevrolet Royal Mail Roadster Trophy Series kit proposal (aka "Ghost Kit")

The following is not a joke.  During a recent visit with long-time and world famous model car author and kit historian Dennis Doty, he revealed a most incredible piece of model car kit history that, until now, virtually no one other than Dennis, and a few 1960's AMT Corporation employees and executives, were ever aware of.

Feast your eyes below on the kit development concept blueprint proposal for an AMT Trophy Series kit of the 1915 Chevy Royal Mail Roadster. The blueprint, arranged in the typical AMT Corporation kit proposal fashion, was prepared by AMT's Dave Wilder, and is dated 12-17-66.

This was to be a very ambitious kit. Not only did it include a full detail factory stock body, interior, chassis, suspension, engine and driveline, but it was to include multiple other building versions including a very highly detailed street rod layout with alternative body options and a 327 Chevy V8 to go along with a full hot rod chassis and suspension. Had it been produced, this kit would have been a goldmine of period perfect hot rod and drag racing model car parts, one that would still be a relevant source of these components even today.

Dennis was unsure of why the kit proposal was not pursued beyond this status, but we both agreed that the relative obscurity of the 1/1 scale subject, along with the fact that AMT was entering what would be a very difficult period of their corporate legacy, were both likely explanations. In retrospect, though the kit would have been exceptionally cool for us hot rod modelers and those who love antique-era kit subjects, it would have probably struggled in the marketplace from the word go. It was the right corporate decision to call "pass" on this one.

For those that do not recognize the name, Dave Wilder was a key AMT resource, involved in kit development and engineering, overseeing box art layout and text, and kit instructions development throughout the 1960's to the late 1970's, and he was highly respected both inside AMT and by outsiders like Dennis and I.  Dave eventually became a very good friend of Dennis, and when at some point after he left AMT, he passed along to Dennis several of the kit development blueprints he had created during his career there. Of those, this blueprint is the "gold mine"....an incredible piece of heretofore unknown AMT corporate history.

Mega-thanks to Dennis Doty, and belated thanks to the late Dave Wilder, for this exceptional nugget from AMT's rich history of model car kit development!!!! TIM

PS - apologies in advance for the non-studio photography quality. We did the best we could under the circumstances! TB

DSC 0945

Picture above is the title block from the AMT kit proposal for a 1915 Chevrolet Royal Mail Roadster Trophy Series kit. Note the date in the lower center of the image. To any one who has ever done commissioned outside development work the original AMT Corporation, the overall layout of this blueprint is a very familiar sight.

DSC 0963

Pictured just above is the overall kit development proposal blueprint.

The factory showroom stock version is detailed at the right and upper center portion of the photo, while the alternative body options and hot rod version content comprises the left portion of the kit proposal blueprint.

DSC 0964

Delineated above you can see some of the kit contents and building alternatives. In addition to the factory stock roadster body, the kit was to have included C-Cab, Panel Delivery , and Pickup build options. It appears that the kit would have allowed any of the four body options to have been combined with both the hot rod and factory stock running gear, and the hot rod option would have included both fendered and fenderless versions.

DSC 0967

On a bright and sunny spring 2022 day, Dennis Doty and I celebrated nearly 50 years of our modeling friendship and we caught up after many years since our last visit. The images of the stillborn AMT kit development proposal shown in this album were among the many highlights of our visit.  Thanks a very big bunch, Dennis, for sharing this incredible nugget of AMT kit development history with us!   TB 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

At least one of us thought that there should have been a kit.  I built this in 1978.  Body, trunk, fender/frame unit, windshield (no glass, didn't think ahead on how to install it cleanly), radiator scratched from sheet plastic.  My mom headed up the custodians/cleaning personnel at Fisher-Price Toys' home office in East Aurora, NY.  She got passes to bring home things the design staff were tossing, as long as nothing gave away any future product plans. 

Among that stuff was a couple of partial sheets of styrene.  I couldn't get the stuff locally back then, and thought that was a real score.  All of these parts were made from that styrene.  Fenders were bent with a heat gun.  The rounded cowl corners were cut from some long-forgotten kit part.

Mine is an Amesbury Special.  I couldn't figure out how to do the cowl on the Royal Mail body.

Front suspension is MPC Ford Pinto.  Engine/transmission/rear end are AMT '55 Corvette.  Seat is cut down from an MPC Dodge van piece.  Wheels are the Jackman white spokes from an AMT Ford van.  Those were a fad on street rods for about fifteen minutes back then.

Paint is Dodge pickup light gray, airbrushed on.  Left over from a Lionel train restoration I painted for my brother, who would have the train colors matched with automotive paint.  The train restoration paints weren't very good.

The original mockup was dark metallic green, with '63 Corvette knockoff wheels and the front suspension from an AMT '65 Nova funny car.  I don't know why I changed it, nor why I used those Chevy pickup taillights!

Built from a couple of basic dimensions and a single photo in a Petersen Publishing Chevrolet book.

I keep thinking I'll come back and do a better one...

20220607_175725.jpg

• Like 7

This is fascinating!

I would think that AMT's decision not to go ahead with this one was a wise choice;  the slot car fad was in full swing which might have been putting some pressure on the kit market, MPC was just starting to make it's presence known on the store shelves, and back then a non-Ford street rod was a little out there.

A very interesting piece of model car history from a guy who truly is a big-time authority on the model car hobby; with all due respect to you as well, Tim. 

• Like 1

Left: Seventies Banthrico, probably 1/25 scale.  It's about the same length as the one I built, but a bit wider.  

Right: Eighties Ertl, 1/43 scale.  I'd guess a stock version was also offered.

20220607_204108.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pack rat said:

This is fascinating!

I would think that AMT's decision not to go ahead with this one was a wise choice;  the slot car fad was in full swing which might have been putting some pressure on the kit market, MPC was just starting to make it's presence known on the store shelves, and back then a non-Ford street rod was a little out there.

A very interesting piece of model car history from a guy who truly is a big-time authority on the model car hobby; with all due respect to you as well, Tim. 

Mike, not only only those very relevant points (particularly as you mentioned, the slot car fad was putting a great deal of pressure on kit sales), but AMT was now devoting much management effort and financial resources into their Phoenix "Speed and Custom" 1/1 scale shop and product line along with the ill-fated 1/1 scale Piranha project.   And then MPC was stealing away some of the promo contracts, and pursuing a very aggressive kit development/sales effort.  All that made for a number of cancelled AMT kits, including the 1/25th scale Porsche 911 which reached the 1/1oth scale wood master status before being cancelled....TB 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

At least one of us thought that there should have been a kit.  I built this in 1978.  Body, trunk, fender/frame unit, windshield (no glass, didn't think ahead on how to install it cleanly), radiator scratched from sheet plastic.  My mom headed up the custodians/cleaning personnel at Fisher-Price Toys' home office in East Aurora, NY.  She got passes to bring home things the design staff were tossing, as long as nothing gave away any future product plans. 

Among that stuff was a couple of partial sheets of styrene.  I couldn't get the stuff locally back then, and thought that was a real score.  All of these parts were made from that styrene.  Fenders were bent with a heat gun.  The rounded cowl corners were cut from some long-forgotten kit part.

Mine is an Amesbury Special.  I couldn't figure out how to do the cowl on the Royal Mail body.

Front suspension is MPC Ford Pinto.  Engine/transmission/rear end are AMT '55 Corvette.  Seat is cut down from an MPC Dodge van piece.  Wheels are the Jackman white spokes from an AMT Ford van.  Those were a fad on street rods for about fifteen minutes back then.

Paint is Dodge pickup light gray, airbrushed on.  Left over from a Lionel train restoration I painted for my brother, who would have the train colors matched with automotive paint.  The train restoration paints weren't very good.

The original mockup was dark metallic green, with '63 Corvette knockoff wheels and the front suspension from an AMT '65 Nova funny car.  I don't know why I changed it, nor why I used those Chevy pickup taillights!

Built from a couple of basic dimensions and a single photo in a Petersen Publishing Chevrolet book.

I keep thinking I'll come back and do a better one...

20220607_175725.jpg

A really neat project, Mark!  TB  

This one is only a concept, no dimensional info or scale drawings.  Making it into a kit would be starting from scratch.  They'd have to locate a 1:1 example, and photograph and measure it.  Not many of these exist.  It would be a neat idea, but there are other early Chevies with better sales potential.

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

This one is only a concept, no dimensional info or scale drawings.  Making it into a kit would be starting from scratch.  They'd have to locate a 1:1 example, and photograph and measure it.  Not many of these exist.  It would be a neat idea, but there are other early Chevies with better sales potential.

The new Garwood kit was done from scratch. Round2 didn’t have access to the original master, and from what I’ve heard, most of their research for the project was done using the internet. I wouldn’t imagine that there’s many 1:1 examples of vintage Garwood Load Packers out and about either, but they were able to kit it nonetheless. I agree with you that it is a neat idea. What other early Chevrolets do you believe have better sales potential? 

Edited by Smoke Wagon
Clarity

Perhaps 30’s pickups and first Suburban Carryall, I’d guess, @Smoke Wagon
39’s, late 40’s done, didn’t really light sales fire. 32 same.
33 Panel revamp would work too. Stick with trucks I’d think. 

Thomas Flyer made it thru, Stutz. I like this and the 1911 too, but wouldn’t work then nor now sadly. 

Edited by keyser

I've always thought MPC chose the wrong body styles for their '32/'33 kit.  I'd have picked a coupe first, the open version should have been a roadster and not a cabriolet.  A sedan or sedan (not panel) delivery would have been good choices too.

Pre-1932 Chevies weren't popular as rod material because of the structural wood in the bodies.  The running gear wasn't as robust as with same period Fords.  

Other prewar Chevies that would have made good model kit material include the '34, '40, and '41.  Coupes first, then roadsters or convertibles.  Sedan or delivery would be good too.

• Like 1

@MarkAgreed. 32-3 Sedan delivery and Roadster, coupe would be great. Really nice work on yours  

There is a LOT of detail in that blueprint. Pretty extensive research and design. More I look, more I see. Really fun stuff. Thx Tim. 

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

Other prewar Chevies that would have made good model kit material include the '34, '40, and '41.  Coupes first, then roadsters or convertibles.  Sedan or delivery would be good too.

Fair enough. Those are certainly more popular, and do make a better business case for a kit manufacturer. If I came off as overly defensive of my talking point, I apologize. 

Sorry for de-railing the thread a little, Tim. Thanks for sharing this little-known piece of AMT history and what could’ve been.

• Like 1

I can't find the issue right now, but there is a Joe Henning article in Rod & Custom (not the short-lived models magazine) about scratchbuilding a 1911 Marmon Wasp Indy car (first winner).  I'd swear that that article mentioned that he'd used tires from a "long forgotten" AMT 1915 Chevy kit.  He might have had that confused with the "1911" kit though.  Now I've got to dig out that magazine...

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Mike, not only only those very relevant points (particularly as you mentioned, the slot car fad was putting a great deal of pressure on kit sales), but AMT was now devoting much management effort and financial resources into their Phoenix "Speed and Custom" 1/1 scale shop and product line along with the ill-fated 1/1 scale Piranha project.   And then MPC was stealing away some of the promo contracts, and pursuing a very aggressive kit development/sales effort.  All that made for a number of cancelled AMT kits, including the 1/25th scale Porsche 911 which reached the 1/1oth scale wood master status before being cancelled....TB 

I never heard about this Phoenix shop or AMT's involvement in the Piranha project.  I have to wonder if some of the auto companies concluded that MPC was serious about establishing a foothold in model cars while AMT was moving on to other things, resulting in AMT gradually losing the promo contracts.  

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I can't find the issue right now, but there is a Joe Henning article in Rod & Custom (not the short-lived models magazine) about scratchbuilding a 1911 Marmon Wasp Indy car (first winner).  I'd swear that that article mentioned that he'd used tires from a "long forgotten" AMT 1915 Chevy kit.  He might have had that confused with the "1911" kit though.  Now I've got to dig out that magazine...

Here's part of the article, with the plans. https://historicsimracing.123.st/t3796-f1-paper-models  and I think you may be right.

If you anted to tackle this project today in 1/25, AMT's Thomas Flyer might be a better choice for parts.

Looking back to 1966 MPC had the 32/33 Chevy roadster/panel, the 28 Ford Sedan/Woody/Truck and the King T. The 15 Chevy proposal aligns with what was going on at the time with kustom rods and multiple bodies.

• 1 month later...

Wow!! I love layouts like this so much. This made my day. It speaks to the car-lover, the modeler, and the designer in me. I spent my early years creating exploded-view drawings of all my various ideas and dreamed that maybe one day I could somehow turn it into a career. It didn't really happen...but the passion is still there :D Even just the tasty line weight on those sketches makes my heart ache.

Incredibly cool stuff. Thanks Tim!

I just can't see this ever coming to fruition. The reissue of the AMT Fruitwagon, was not hugely popular, that reissue would appeal to much the same market. That was pretty much a project that required some restoration of the molds.....this is a pure start from scratch project.