Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

On 1/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, keyser said:

I need the tubbed 68 Elky kit. No idea until read TB about it. It had tubbed bed and pro-tour parts. Haven’t had it back, stocker back couple times. Put the soapbox car in too since I have the non soapbox 69 annual. 
Or a dual kit with Hull Raiser and a hitch?

What kit is this tubbed out Elky? Not sure if I've seen it before? Sounds interesting ..... 

On 10/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, Bob Ellis said:

If Round2 turned this into a real 68 Impala, I would buy one

The story on the '68 Impala was MPC got the exclusive licensing and made the promo and the kit. AMT wasn't licensed so they took the '67 tooling and created a custom version of the '68. That's why the new tooling of the recent AMT '67 is inferior to the original. Very hard to find.

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Without a major re-tooling of the body, the Force 440 will not be coming back. Once the Body tool was changed to a Four Door, it would be hard to change it back.

That said, the return of the '68 Coronet has proven that if Round2 Believes that a retool can make them Money they can & will put in the Time, Effort & Money to bring back a kit. I'd like to see the body (if a Two-Door) returned to the rare '75 Roadrunner Kit.

I would like to see the Force 440 again, the 68 Impala would be great also!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, Zen said:

What kit is this tubbed out Elky? Not sure if I've seen it before? Sounds interesting ..... 

The Street Machine version of the ‘68 El Camino apparently had mini tubs in the rear, or so I’ve heard.  I’ve only had the stock version so I don’t know. 

17 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The Street Machine version of the ‘68 El Camino apparently had mini tubs in the rear, or so I’ve heard.  I’ve only had the stock version so I don’t know. 

It definitely does but they're not really much deeper then the stock wheel houses, hard to tell the difference unless you have both kits to compare side by side. 

The bed floor in that kit simulates a wood plank style floor that would be, in my opinion, not really realistic in an elCamino. IIRC, the suspension is a bit lowered too. 

The supercharged, FI intake, while looking kinda funky, does replicate an aftermarket setup I have seen a pic of in a magazine. 

9 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

They were very subtle, but visible mini-tubs built into the pickup bed floorbaord.   The floorboard also included engraved wood slats vs. the engraved metal ribs in the stock kit. 

The 396 big block engine was a direct replica of the old (IIRC) B&M very basic fuel injection/blower setup that they advertised heavily back then (mid-late 1990's). 

The wheels were modestly done five window cast aluminum style billet mags, very nice, on subtle big'n'bigger tires (the same ones in the '41 Woody Street rod kit).   

I've had one of these kits partially assembled for what...over 20 years now???////I really should get busy and finish it.  It is a really well-done kit (other than a molding issue with the roof C-pillar that left a depression in the vinyl engraving that was difficult to repair) that should see a reissue sooner than later.  TB 

Edited by tim boyd

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

They were very subtle, but visible mini-tubs built into the pickup bed floorbaord.   The floorboard also included engraved wood slats vs. the engraved metal ribs in the stock kit. 

The 396 big block engine was a direct replica of the old (IIRC) B&M very basic fuel injection/blower setup that they advertised heavily back then (mid-late 1990's). 

The wheels were modestly done five window cast aluminum style billet mags, very nice, on subtle big'n'bigger tires (the same ones in the '41 Woody Street rod kit).   

I've had one of these kits partially assembled for what...over 20 years now???////I really should get busy and finish it.  It is a really well-done kit (other than a molding issue with the roof C-pillar that left a depression in the vinyl engraving that was difficult to repair) that should see a reissue sooner than later.  TB 

The wheels in the Woodie and the Elky kit weren't exactly the same though. 

The wheels from the Elky are on the '32 and the wheels from the Woodie are on the '36. 

IMG 3096

143 4310

I also have one of those Elkys 3/4 assembled. It's that weird FI unit that held it up. Never liked the look of that one so I'm swapping it out for a pair of Hollys. 

29 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The wheels in the Woodie and the Elky kit weren't exactly the same though. 

The wheels from the Elky are on the '32 and the wheels from the Woodie are on the '36. 

IMG 3096

143 4310

I also have one of those Elkys 3/4 assembled. It's that weird FI unit that held it up. Never liked the look of that one so I'm swapping it out for a pair of Hollys. 

Steve is correct, I believe.  My comments were intended to be specific to the tires which I recall being shared between both kits....TB  

Just now, tim boyd said:

Steve is correct, I believe.  My comments were intended to be specific to the tires which I recall being shared between both kits....TB  

Yes, the tires were definitely the same, nice ones too. 

IIRC, The wider rear tires and wheels don't fit well on the stock Elky.