Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Maybe the Maverick Funny Car? That hasn't been issued since the eighties, as far as I can recall... 

If you're talking about the Multi Maverick, it was out in early to mid 2000s. Hobby Heaven sponsored it. IIRC, there was a later issue by Round2.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

If you're talking about the Multi Maverick, it was out in early to mid 2000s. Hobby Heaven sponsored it. IIRC, there was a later issue by Round2.

Wasn’t the Multi-Maverick the one that could be built with two different wheelbases? I remember a Maverick funny car kit like that. If that’s the one, one I may consider buying one. 

Just now, unclescott58 said:

Wasn’t the Multi-Maverick the one that could be built with two different wheelbases? I remember a Maverick funny car kit like that. If that’s the one, one I may consider buying one. 

Yes. Although, I don't know how it would be possible with a model. The real car could extend or shorten the wheelbase and switch the front fenders. 

22 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yes. Although, I don't know how it would be possible with a model. The real car could extend or shorten the wheelbase and switch the front fenders. 

Looking at the instructions on line, the model does too. Though I wonder how well that works in real life? I can’t seem to find any reviews of this kit online. Which worries me. Is there anybody out there who has built MPC’s Multi-Maverick funny car model? And is it any good?

Edited by unclescott58

13 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Which Maverick funny car? 

I was thinking of the 1982 reissue of the Warhorse (see attachment).

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yes, that's the one. I suppose that since that kit wasn't on me radar at the time of its reissue (1982, and then the newer R2 issue), I didn't realise that there was a connection; that they were the same kit, with different decals/packaging.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Look at the instructions on line, the model does too. Though I wonder how well that works in real life? I can’t seem to find any reviews of this kit online. Which worries me. Is there anybody out there who built MPC’s Multi-Maverick funny car model? And is it any good?

I have one that I can check out. 

21 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Looking at the instructions on line, the model does too. Though I wonder how well that works in real life? I can’t seem to find any reviews of this kit online. Which worries me. Is there anybody out there who built MPC’s Multi-Maverick funny car model? And is it any good?

Scott....I unassembled the Hobby Heaven Multi-Maverick reissue back in the 000's and posted the build on-line at the Hobby Heaven (now Spotlight Hobbies) board.  Nice kit.  Did not try to use the "switch back and forth" WB and fender option, though.  Will find some pictures and post them here later on....

All...wanted to note that though the real car, and the kit, were most comparable to a funny car in design and appearance, the real car was orginally designed to compete in the Gasser class....

TIM 

44 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Scott....I unassembled the Hobby Heaven Multi-Maverick reissue back in the 000's and posted the build on-line at the Hobby Heaven (now Spotlight Hobbies) board.  Nice kit.  Did not try to use the "switch back and forth" WB and fender option, though.  Will find some pictures and post them here later on....

All...wanted to note that though the real car, and the kit, were most comparable to a funny car in design and appearance, the real car was orginally designed to compete in the Gasser class....

TIM 

Thank you Tim. You confirmed what I suspected from looking the kit’s instructions on line. I don’t know if I’ll pick this up or not if it ever becomes available again. I like Mavericks, but…

From reading online, it sounds like the real full-size Multi-Maverick was not much of a winner overall. It was built for “Ohio” George Montgomery, through MPC just to sell model kits. And was not a practical race car in real life. 

Edited by unclescott58

On 8/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, unclescott58 said:

Looking at the instructions on line, the model does too. Though I wonder how well that works in real life? I can’t seem to find any reviews of this kit online. Which worries me. Is there anybody out there who has built MPC’s Multi-Maverick funny car model? And is it any good?

I  have the Multi- Maverick....in primer, different sort of kit, it is a gasser..

50 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Everybody is talking about the Multi-Maverick. But, again nobody is showing us one built up.

Give me a day or so and I will post a link to 54 photos of this kit, both under construction and completed.   Best....TB 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

All...wanted to note that though the real car, and the kit, were most comparable to a funny car in design and appearance, the real car was originally designed to compete in the Gasser class....

TIM 

It was meant to switch between a gasser and a altered, do not know about the model, but real car also had provisions to install engine in different locations on chassis, along with moving front suspension.

I read somewhere that MPC had a deal with Ohio George to build a different car every year, MPC would do a model of it and George could race it or put it on the show car circuit, which is basically what happen with the Maverick. The deal fell apart after the Maverick.

Off Topic, When Round 2 was doing the Ohio George stuff a few years ago always thought they could of done his Turbo Pinto BB/MC and the blown BB/FC Mustang with a Ford engine They sort of had both kits in their inventory.

32 minutes ago, tbusch said:

It was meant to switch between a gasser and a altered, do not know about the model, but real car also had provisions to install engine in different locations on chassis, along with moving front suspension.

Correctamundo on both the car and the model kit....TB 

OK guys, as promised here's a link to a post in the "WIP Drag Racing" folder with about 15 photo excerpts from the 70 how-to images I just posted at my Fotki site, along with a link to all those 70 images.  About 50 of the 70 show the model and its components in various stages of assembly.  They will give you an excellent idea of how the kit is designed and how it comes together, along with my take on the kit and its assembly fun factor.  

Hope this adds some to the knowledge base on this old MPC project.  It was a cool one!  TB 

DSC_0084.JPG

DSC 0211

...and the "family album" of some of the Ohio George drag racing kits for your viewing pleasure.....

DSC 0719

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1