Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Body Pin holes

On 6/13/2022 at 8:26 AM, Len Woodruff said:

I have a resin body that has a large amount of pin holes on the side. Anybody have a recommended way of filling these so they don't show after painting?

Thanks in advance for your help & suggestions.

I have used both CA and Tamiya putty for pin holes.  Comments above are spot on.  Lots of careful sanding involved.  When I use CA to fill cracks or pin holes I sometimes start sanding before the glue sets.  That process mixes some of the sanding particles in with the glue.  In the case of CA it usually sets up much harder than the surrounding plastic co be careful not to wear down the area around where you filled as you sand.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

I do use the slow curing resin. Since I don't have the pressure pot I am using a syringe through a small hole to get the resin everywhere in the mold. I have done this on previous bodies and it worked well.

Pressure pots don’t come cheap. Fortunately I have access to them and that’s been the only answer to reducing but not quite eliminating these pesky bubbles. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 9:27 PM, peteski said:

If that resin kit is the only game in town, and people will still buy the parts with pinholes, there is really no good incentive for the caster to improve casting quality.

How about just plain old striving for improvement ? Seems to me just out of common decency and self worth one should want to do better than that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

How about just plain old striving for improvement ? Seems to me just out of common decency and self worth one should want to do better than that.

I thought about this some more. I think part of the problem is that some people are just less fastidious than other, and that is reflected in the quality of their work.  I see examples of that here.  It is in their nature. and if they decide to produce and sell product, it will not be top quality.

There are (or were) casters out there like Don H., Norm V.,Paul Hettick and others.  But there are also many other casters whose products are not as good as the ones I mentioned.  They are probably ding their best, but they are just not as fastidious as others.  I suspect that they think that they are producing the best quality of product they are capable of (and they are probably correct).  They just don't have in them, to take their work to the next level.

45 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

Guys I think we are getting off topic here. 

Ya true. To that end if stuck with so many pin holes I'd probably skim the thing with 2 part filler and scuff it all down. But I'm glad to hear CA works well. And too it depends on natural panel line demarcation and such details too if I skim coated it or not.

14 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Ya true. To that end if stuck with so many pin holes I'd probably skim the thing with 2 part filler and scuff it all down. But I'm glad to hear CA works well. And too it depends on natural panel line demarcation and such details too if I skim coated it or not.

I tried the Tamiya white putty but it was too thick to get into the wholes. The super thin CA fills the holes just by using a tooth pick to spread it. When dry it is as strong as the resin. No chance for ghost marks when painting.

Edited by Len Woodruff

1 hour ago, Len Woodruff said:

I tried the Tamiya white putty but it was too thick to get into the wholes. The super thin CA fills the holes just by using a tooth pick to spread it. When dry it is as strong as the resin. No chance for ghost marks when painting.

That's odd. Tamiya white is quite thin for putty. I used Squadron white which is a lot thicker and had no problems. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, Dave G. said:

Truth be told when you consider the time & effort that the caster puts into popping a body or part they should want to put out a quality product. If nothing else they need to consider what these kind of hiccups do to their brands name. I  do understand that pressure pots `aint cheap by no means nor is the resin however, neither is the price casters sell their products for. If it`s the only game in town  then you SHOULD want it to be then best thing since sliced bread NOT "it will  do" because it better than nothing!  Most of us are willing to pay an upscale price for an upscale body or part. The now defunct Model Hause is a good example of QUALITY bodies and parts! Their resin products were OUTSTANDING in every sense of the word !! I like many others, were willing to pay the asking price because the end product was well worth it!  Oooh..how I miss Model Hause..I hope he & his spouse are enjoying their retirement.  As I type this I have a resin body on my work bench that revealed it was full of pinholes once I started sanding it. I also discover it SHRANK in length and width once I attempted to drop it on the recommended donor kit chassis. With absolute certainty I will not purchase another resin kit from this caster...EVER AGAIN!!! That`s my humble opinion and my 2 cents on the matter. On that note I will now step off my soap box and gladly relinquish the floor to others.

Edited by 69NovaYenko
  • Like 1