Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Olds Cutlass from 3D print from Too Many Projects

carl63_99

I got this 3D printed model of the 1977 Cutlass from Too Many Project a short time ago. Started working on it tonight. BEAUTIFUL 3D printing! My 1:1 scale was almost exactly like the one pictured, aside from red stripes on mine. Gonna be slow progress, but I'm looking forward to this one!

1969 442 Chassis and interior for test purposes. Probably going with that and major modifications.

1920px-1977_Oldsmobile_Cutlass_Supreme_coupe,_front_right_(Hershey_2019).jpg

77 Cutlass 1.jpg

77 Cutlass 2.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/2/2022 at 10:47 PM, DoctorLarry said:

JoHan 75 Cutlass has correct molded door panels (flat, though) and mostly correct dash. Seats suck but you could start there. I have one of these and I am working on correct seats, door panels and dash.

Yes, and that is a rather pricey kit. Not that I'm in cheap at this point. Still working on gathering parts and making design decisions.  I did figure out my inspiration for the second kit. 1976 Hurst Olds Proposal car. I'm thinking pearl white instead of standard white. but this should be a real looker when done.

76 HO proposal.jpg

• Like 3

Finally finished a rental make-ready and vacation. Getting time to work on this again. After several different medium, I found these square nail sanders that take down the cross-hatch pattern perfectly. they even make a scratching sound like running a nail over jeans, which is gone when the pattern is sanded off. I'll wash and prime in a few days.

First Sanding.jpg

I got a '74 promo in today, won it on Ebay. A bit of measuring, lots of cutting and the rear section of the roof almost fits. I have more roughing in to do and will have to think about the T tops. Cutting them out might leave the roof too weak.

Chop1.jpg

Chop2.jpg

Victim.jpg

• Like 1

A little more work on the H/O nose. headlight area is very close. I now need to decide where I'm going to source the headlight buckets from before I do the final sanding. This way I have room to work with when fitting the new buckets in. I also have a tentative plan to use plastic playing cards for the grills in the H/O. That work is a ways off. On the standard Cutlass, most everything is going together, so no body mods there, just cleaning up. The 74 interior fits pretty nice, although the tuck and roll pattern goes the wrong way. gonna be a bit of work there and on the door detail.

noseart1.jpg

noseart2.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 2:41 PM, carl63_99 said:

A little more work on the H/O nose. headlight area is very close. I now need to decide where I'm going to source the headlight buckets from before I do the final sanding. This way I have room to work with when fitting the new buckets in.

I'll be following this one! I had all the bits and pieces to do this exact conversion with a '75 Cutlass, UNTIL I saw Robert Burns' 3D cars. I dropped everything and ordered that one and it's definitely on my "to do" list in the not too distant future.

I had a '76 as a Driver's Ed car in High School, so this one definitely brings back memories of those days.

For headlight buckets, why not check out the Revell '83 Cutlass? The buckets look to be very similar in shape, and you could always add (or subtract) what's needed as it's plastic and not harder to work with resin.

On 7/25/2022 at 2:26 PM, MrObsessive said:

I'll be following this one! I had all the bits and pieces to do this exact conversion with a '75 Cutlass, UNTIL I saw Robert Burns' 3D cars. I dropped everything and ordered that one and it's definitely on my "to do" list in the not too distant future.

I had a '76 as a Driver's Ed car in High School, so this one definitely brings back memories of those days.

For headlight buckets, why not check out the Revell '83 Cutlass? The buckets look to be very similar in shape, and you could always add (or subtract) what's needed as it's plastic and not harder to work with resin.

I'm considering the '83, having built one. Looking at other options also. tons of stuff in my parts bins.

• Like 1

Doing the putty work, getting the back-end sorted out.  Nice to see the roofline is good, won't have too much trouble getting that finished. I set the wing in place from the '69 H/O but don't like it, not going to use it. Besides having some bracing underneath, I'm using JB weld under the cut area to give it some strength. So far I'm liking how it looks.

side view puttied.jpg

winged tail.jpg

non-wing tail.jpg

• Like 2

I can't stress enough the use of a camera to check fit and alignment. You will see things in a photo that you don't notice when working on a model. Having the stock model alongside sure helps to get everything lining up and looking right.

The JB weld is hard as a rock, giving me a good solid body to work with. Now it's sand and prime and fill; repeat until perfect!

comparo2.jpg

comparo1.jpg

side rear.jpg

rear with red putty.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aside from the two bodies I got two promos, a blue 74 and tan 75. I also picked up a 69 H/O which has the decals I need, although I will need a second set of decals to complete the look. Tan interior in the standard Cutlass, which is going to be all black, and black interior in the H/O car with the '69 dash for more gauges as well as not replacing the seats.That gives a different look between the two cars.

Cutlass.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, carl63_99 said:

Onward to the interior. Cut out the 75 Promo seats to use the 69 seats, a little closer to the correct patterns for the black interior. With the front seats out, I can work on door detail.

I just saw this post and love the work!

What did you use to cut the hood out? I have his 56 Mark II and would like to put one of my Y-blocks in it. Thanks.