Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Aug 2022

Mr mopar

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

The Street Machine version of the El Camino was fantastic too! That EFI supercharger setup on the big block was an amazingly trick piece that always shocks me didn't find its way into a ton of Pro Touring builds. Likewise, for that matter, the "mini Viper" EFI setup on the 340 in the Street Machine version of the '71 Duster kit. 

Of course, reading all of the "I never knew that chassis existed" posts on the '57 Chevy Street Machine kit proves that for all of their tooling genius at the time, AMT/Ertl didn't know how to market what they had and that's a shame.

The big problem with all of those engines is that not a single one came with a set of headers. That's something that really annoys me with street machine kits from both AMT and Revell. Headers are typically the first performance modification anyone does to a full scale car. 

While the street machine '57 has some strong points. It also has it's weak points. The engine is nothing special. Besides the Super Victor intake. No headers. The frame is nice. But, it has stock front suspension. Not very Art Morrison like to me. Then there's the stock interior with an aftermarket steering wheel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

The big problem with all of those engines is that not a single one came with a set of headers. That's something that really annoys me with street machine kits from both AMT and Revell. Headers are typically the first performance modification anyone does to a full scale car. 

I've been singing that tune since the 1980s when Monogram was slinging 3-in-1 kits with superchargers, tunnel rams, etc., with stone stock exhaust! 

Thankfully, the Baldwin-Motion 1970 Chevelle (Monogram, et al., 1/24) has not only headers, but also a sweet Tarantula intake with a decent 950cfm three barrel, Fly Eye air cleaner, and other goodies.
(No comment on the stock rocker arm covers...) 

49 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I only have one 57 Chevy kit. It's a reissue of the Monogram I built as a kid. Molded in black though instead of red. 

I only built one, as well and that was the AMT 57 Chevy 3 in 1 kit that I bought in the mid 80's.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, stavanzer said:

I want that Sunoco 34 Ford, But all I really want is the Decals. I've got 5 of the older Yellow Lindberg Versions, so, I don't need the parts. If they show up at Hooby Looby I may get one anyhow.

I emailed Doug at Round2 today to inquire if the decal sheet for the '34 Sunoco truck is available yet and he said no. I'll wait a couple more weeks and try again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2022 at 1:12 PM, Raoul Ross said:

I emailed Doug at Round2 today to inquire if the decal sheet for the '34 Sunoco truck is available yet and he said no. I'll wait a couple more weeks and try again.

Received this email from Nathaniel Long at Round2 today about the '34 Ford Sunoco Pickup Decal Sheet if anyone else is interested:

Raoul,

We now have the decal sheet for AMT1289 if you’d like to purchase it.  Decal sheets of that size are $12.95 (that includes shipping and the cost of the decal sheet).

Please just call our office during business hours Monday through Friday 8AM – 5PM and provide us with your credit card information, or mail a money order for $12.95 to:

Round 2

Attn: Parts Department

4073 Meghan Beeler Court

South Bend, IN 46628

Thanks,

Nathaniel Long | Customer Service Representative

Edited by Raoul Ross