Model Cars Magazine Forum

65/66 Buick Wildcat

Modlbldr

I bounce from project to project more than a kid bounces on a new trampoline!

Just started this a couple of weeks ago in a "build-off" (term used loosely) with SamIAm. I am using a kit that someone had built and tore back down so there is a bit of "road rash" to fix along the way. The body was completely stock so all of the modifications done in poor taste are my own doing.

Rather than starting from the beginning and boring you with many details  I'll just start from where im at now. I wanted to build a wild custom but have no real plan and, at times, have been struggling with ideas.

None of the custom parts from this kit fit well at all. They all have needed significant adjusting. Some of what you see came from other kits or the parts stash.

Later-

20220804_204005.jpg

20220805_201634.jpg

20220805_213908.jpg

20220805_215139.jpg

20220805_223542.jpg

20220805_215110.jpg

20220802_180414.jpg

20220804_224030.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr
  • Like 1

Been sitting out on the deck this morning working on the front wheel well edges. Glued some strips in place and have a bit of sanding and putty work to do on them to get them to shape.. The rest of the bodynis looking ready for a final coat of primer.

Later-

20220810_083214.jpg

20220810_083226.jpg

20220810_083251.jpg

20220810_083352.jpg

20220810_083412.jpg

13 hours ago, Jantrix said:

This one is sitting in my stash waiting for inspiration. Maybe I'll find some here. I like it so far.

Well, if you find any, let me know where it is. I'm having trouble locating it. If nothing else you'll be able to figure out what you DON'T want to do. Lol.

Later-

8 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Well, if you find any, let me know where it is. I'm having trouble locating it. If nothing else you'll be able to figure out what you DON'T want to do. Lol.

Later-

Well my thought was do a crazy combination of insanely fast and insanely weird, using the kit custom parts, like you've done. But the paint would be way rough. Like someone found a weird old Barris type custom in a barn somewhere, cleaned it up, dropped a 800+ horsepower engine in it, made it run/stop appropriately and then just enjoyed the weird looks it got. Kind of like that Farmtruck guy. Ugly as heck, but fast heck too.

• Like 1

Looks like you may actually have a '65 Wildcat body there, just eyeballing the fender trim, it looks nothing like the '66 in my stash. The interior tub in these 66 kits is an incorrect carryover from 65, so it may be exactly right for yours! Did you modify the fender side trim any? Here's why I'm thinking like I am:

65 Wildcat_fender trim.png

66 Wildcat_fender trim.png

• Like 1

Either way, I'm digging the custom idea. These are some of AMT's better custom touches, I think. I think the rear panel could make a fairly attractive front grille assembly; just dig out the lights for added depth, foil, and use clear lenses for headlights. Looking forward to your take on this one!

6 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looks like you may actually have a '65 Wildcat body there, just eyeballing the fender trim, it looks nothing like the '66 in my stash. The interior tub in these 66 kits is an incorrect carryover from 65, so it may be exactly right for yours! Did you modify the fender side trim any? Here's why I'm thinking like I am:

65 Wildcat_fender trim.png

66 Wildcat_fender trim.png

I believe you're correct. I never got a box or instructions with this and wasnt sure on the year. I dont know why i called it a 66 since the guy i got it from a few years ago told me it was a 65. I must be getting old and slipping. Thanks for the jog of the memory bank. 

Later-

• Modlbldr changed the title to 65 Buick Wildcat

Got the final primer coat on this thing this morning and left it in the dehydrator all day while we went to visit some friends at their campsite. Just got home and pulled it out. Doesnt look too bad. Now to figure out a paint scheme for it. I almost had myself talked into doing a 4 place t-top on it. It may still be in the plans. That will surely lighten the roof.

Later-

20220815_075224.jpg

20220815_075238.jpg

20220815_075254.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr
  • Like 1

HI Tom!

I see you dechromed and molded the custom side exhausts to the lower body. Good idea, they will blend in better than if left chromed.

I take your word for the poor fit of the countless "custom" parts. I have this kit in my stash, and it never struck me as such. But pictures don't lie! 

Keep on!

CT 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI Tom!

I see you dechromed and molded the custom side exhausts to the lower body. Good idea, they will blend in better than if left chromed.

I take your word for the poor fit of the countless "custom" parts. I have this kit in my stash, and it never struck me as such. But pictures don't lie! 

Keep on!

CT 

Thanks Claude!

I removed about 1/8 inch off of the bottom of the rockers before adding the pipes so that they would not sit so low. 

I have not even included the pictures of how much I had to alter the shape of the grill and the taillight panel to get them to fit. I had to change the angles of the taillight panel and add a couple of sections from a second panel to make it long enough. The added pieces will end up being back up lights set just inboard of the taillights.

Later-

9 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks Claude!

I removed about 1/8 inch off of the bottom of the rockers before adding the pipes so that they would not sit so low. 

I have not even included the pictures of how much I had to alter the shape of the grill and the taillight panel to get them to fit. I had to change the angles of the taillight panel and add a couple of sections from a second panel to make it long enough. The added pieces will end up being back up lights set just inboard of the taillights.

Later-

Hi Tom!

I see. From my quick examination of the kit parts, I think the "stock" parts (hood, front and rear bumpers/grille) fit the body fairly well. The custom parts may have been rushed in production to meet the requirements, back then, of the "3 in 1" mantra... Just another day at the office for some designer?

CT 

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tom!

I see. From my quick examination of the kit parts, I think the "stock" parts (hood, front and rear bumpers/grille) fit the body fairly well. The custom parts may have been rushed in production to meet the requirements, back then, of the "3 in 1" mantra... Just another day at the office for some designer?

CT 

Thats a possibility. The stock parts did fit very well. Unfortunately, I don't do much stock.

Been trying to come up with a paint scheme and have found nothing online that looks anything like what I want. Im thinking of a Pearl white, Silver, and Metallic Purple theme but nothing is really coming to me. I want to start painting but would like to have a plan before I start.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thats a possibility. The stock parts did fit very well. Unfortunately, I don't do much stock.

Been trying to come up with a paint scheme and have found nothing online that looks anything like what I want. Im thinking of a Pearl white, Silver, and Metallic Purple theme but nothing is really coming to me. I want to start painting but would like to have a plan before I start.

Later-

Hi Tom!

Those big GM cars are usuallly advantaged by lighter colors, that make them seem even longer and wider. I made a very minimalist 65 Grand Prix, which is mostly the same car structure, in pearl silver (see pic below). Tamya's grey primer + Testor's White lightning pearl white lacquer (just 2 coats). The silver hue is provided by the primer underneath. Of course, Watson candy shades could be added at will.

Just my two cents...

CT 

DSC00579 (2).JPG

DSC00582 (2).JPG

DSC00580 (2).JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tom!

Those big GM cars are usuallly advantaged by lighter colors, that make them seem even longer and wider. I made a very minimalist 65 Grand Prix, which is mostly the same car structure, in pearl silver (see pic below). Tamya's grey primer + Testor's White lightning pearl white lacquer (just 2 coats). The silver hue is provided by the primer underneath. Of course, Watson candy shades could be added at will.

Just my two cents...

CT 

DSC00579 (2).JPG

DSC00582 (2).JPG

DSC00580 (2).JPG

Wow! Gorgeous car and great color. I like the White lightning over a plain color. I've done it on a couple of cars. I did this 57 Wagon using a Tamiya Flat Japanese aircraft color. Turned out to be a nice pearl blue. Also did the same for the 41 Plymouth with another Tamiya Japanese Flat aircraft color and it made a nice pearl green.

You may have given me a thought to do just a two tone with flats and White lightning. Thanks!

Later-

IMG_20200225_123546659.jpg

IMG_20200408_114829533.jpg

IMG_20200214_144113371.jpg

IMG_20200605_102714516_HDR.jpg

• Modlbldr changed the title to 65/66 Buick Wildcat