Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970-1/2 Camaro Z/28

mustang1989

On 9/10/2022 at 2:55 PM, TransAmMike said:

Interesting about the smoke on the chrome wheels.  Also on the bumpers????  👌👌

Not on this one Mike. I used Alclad Chrome on the front bumpers. I really should've done that on the rear bumper for uniformity but the front bumperettes are pretty close to the kit chrome of the rear one outside of the pictures.

5 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Not on this one Mike. I used Alclad Chrome on the front bumpers. I really should've done that on the rear bumper for uniformity but the front bumperettes are pretty close to the kit chrome of the rear one outside of the pictures.

Question for ya Joe. So you painted the front bumpers with Alclad? Did you put a sealer over the Alclad?

I just painted resin bumpers for my Chevelle SS build with Molotow. I'm concerned I will smudge or dull the "chrome" installing them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Question for ya Joe. So you painted the front bumpers with Alclad? Did you put a sealer over the Alclad?

I just painted resin bumpers for my Chevelle SS build with Molotow. I'm concerned I will smudge or dull the "chrome" installing them. 

my 2 cents...some people use Spaz Stikz ultra clear over Molotow wthout  loss of chrome shine...

Spaz Stix - Ultra Shine Clear Acrylic Enamel, Aerosol, 3.5 oz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I used Spaztix through an airbrush on my Molotow that I shot over some wheels over 4 years ago and they haven't lost their shine yet. Stuff works.

Thanks Joe, good to know.  I'm pretty sure there was a thread about sealing the "chrome" paints  jut don't know how to search it for the specific thread.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 1:44 PM, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Joe, good to know.  I'm pretty sure there was a thread about sealing the "chrome" paints  jut don't know how to search it for the specific thread.

No problem Mike. Al hit it right on the head of the nail about the article showing up in Scale Auto. I think I even have the issue.

6 hours ago, thatz4u said:

read about it in Scale Auto, says to use wet coats, not mist coats, also spoon test first...

It was indeed in Scale Auto and you're right. I forgot about not using mist coats even though I've used the method they described a few times already. Thanks for the re-reminder! 

You hit a home run with this build Joe !

Probably one of the most beautiful examples of this model that we can find, the choice of color, the interior (your specialty as I can see), the stance, everything is top notch !

You had fun building it and it shows, now you have to admire it in all its details and maybe surprise us with another great project ! 😁

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:08 AM, Bills72sj said:

SWEET Camaro! I did one way back in White with Metallic Magenta stripes. How did you do the BF Goodrich on the Goodyear Blue streak rear tires?

Thanks Bill! I sanded off the lettering on the Goodyear tires and then smoothed it all out and used some BF Goodrich decals that I got from Slixx. After several coats of Microsol over the decals to get them to lay down smooth with no silvering, I applied some Model Master Flat Clear over the sidewalls of the tire to blend the decal in.

I'll have to take a look at that Camaro of yours.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:37 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You hit a home run with this build Joe !

Probably one of the most beautiful examples of this model that we can find, the choice of color, the interior (your specialty as I can see), the stance, everything is top notch !

You had fun building it and it shows, now you have to admire it in all its details and maybe surprise us with another great project ! 😁

Really appreciate the great comments Francis. I did indeed have alot of fun building this one as I almost had one of these for a first car. I'm currently working on a 2017 Camaro "Fiftieth" Edition in the WIP section. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us man.👍

On 9/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, Danno said:

Excellent!

Thanks Danno! 'Preciate it bud.

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT 1970-1/2 Camaro Z/28