Model Cars Magazine Forum

Batch build: "Big Girls Need Love Too"

Bills72sj

2 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Too bad that to my knowledge there are no  421 engine emblems available out there for the 1965 and 1966 full size Pontiac's for our hobby.

There's two sets on the decal sheet of the latest reissue of the '65 Bonneville.

The Hasegawa 66 was copied from an MPC annual ages ago. I wish they would've done more clones like that, would've been great to have an alternate source for vintage kits. While they were at it, it would've also been nice if they had cloned the rest of the kit - especially the interior. 

I read that the 65 Impala and 65 Thunderbird were also copies of the AMT annuals and the 66 Cadillac was a knockoff of the Johan. So if you have any original parts looking for a body, now you know where to complete it.

15 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

The Hasegawa 66 was copied from an MPC annual ages ago. I wish they would've done more clones like that, would've been great to have an alternate source for vintage kits. While they were at it, it would've also been nice if they had cloned the rest of the kit - especially the interior. 

Is the supplied interior wrong? I am not a stickler for absolute accuracy of my builds but, I do try with what I have when I can.

Both the Grand Prix and the 65 B'ville have boat loads of extra parts.

Edited by Bills72sj
  • Like 1

The other day, I hacked the fake engine insert out of the '66 Bonne chassis. I am going to use one of my Parts Pack Pontiac 421s in its place after dechroming.

I now have all 4 basic engines assembled. I am debating filling in the axle access holes as I never use metal axles in the front, like, ever.

I scrounged enough parts to make all 4 of the engines 421 Tri-Powers. Some will get more chrome bits than others. I will do ignition wires but not much else. I am trying to resist the urge to overly detail the engines due to the time required. I figure I can cross that bridge on each of them depending how well the paint jobs go. Speaking of paint, after a little internet research, the '65 engines should be a light turquoise leaning towards blue. I mixed some up by tinting a bottle of Testors turquoise with 20 or so drops of Testors dark blue. It looks pretty close. The '66s changed color to the very silvery Pontiac engine blue which also have. Whether I brush paint them or air brush them will depend how my schedule goes. My paint booth takes about 20-30 minutes to set up.

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

Four Pontiac 421 Tri-Power .JPG

53 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

I mixed some up by tinting a bottle of Testors turquoise with 20 or so drops of Testors dark blue. It looks pretty close

Thanks for mentioning this Bill as I've attempted to approximate the '65 engine color with limited success. Never picked up a bottle of the Model Master engine blue (for the '66 and later engines) when it was available so will have to continue to experiment with that one. 

18 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Is the supplied interior wrong? I am not a stickler for absolute accuracy of my builds but, I do try with what I have when I can.

Both the Grand Prix and the 65 B'ville have boat loads of extra parts.

Hi I did what your doing now about 5 years ago i wanted a 66  and got my hands a Hasegawa kit and open the hood at the time i had got all the AMT/MPC parts from Modelhause the dash because in 66 they went to square gages the hood so it had the unhood markings and the chrome and taillights what i found out is the Hasegawa is somewhere in between 1/25 and 1/24 I used the amt tub and seats and the chasses and the hood all fit like a glove the taillight's were a bit big the rear bumper fit nice the grill fit good but the front bumper was a bit wide  its a mix and match can't wait to see yours done.

Since these Pontiacs are all different models, each one has its own grille and tail panel treatment. However, the tail panel in the 2+2 has the wrong, larger Bonneville tail lights. Fortunately the new reissue of the Bonneville has a custom tail panel (sans bumper) that has the smaller 2+2/Catalina tail lights. Spent some time whittling them to fit each other.

Big Girl bumpers.JPG

2+2 rear roughed in.JPG

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, slusher said:

Nice work so far Bill!

Thanks, I spent this afternoon working a little on all of them.

The cut out hood for the 66 Bonneville got the pin marks underneath filled in and a parts box under hood frame to give it more detail.

I did some research and found out there is supposed to be two openings in both of the Bonneville and 2+2 front bumpers.

I bravely used my Dremel on the back side of each and opened them up. They turned out nice.

I checked the interior patterns with Ames Performance 1:1 catalog and all 3 '65 upholstery patterns are correct. Good job AMT.

I found better front seats for the '66 Bonneville. (MPC 72 Chevelle)

My parts box had one lonely firewall I can use for the '66 but I may try to find a better one.

I am going to try to get some bench time in tomorrow in spite of being on call at work AND having a darn cold.

15 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I did some research and found out there is supposed to be two openings in both of the Bonneville and 2+2 front bumpers.

I bravely used my Dremel on the back side of each and opened them up. They turned out nice.

That's actually just one opening Bill. The area for the license plate molded into the kit's bumpers just make it look like two.

1965 Pontiac Bonneville | GR Auto Gallery

But, while you're at it you might as well Dremel out the Grand Prix bumper too. All full size '65 Pontiacs used the same front and rear bumpers.

Pontiac Grand Prix 1965 – Classic Cars South

Edited by Can-Con

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

That's actually just one opening Bill. The area for the license plate molded into the kit's bumpers just make it look like two.

But, while you're at it you might as well Dremel out the Grand Prix bumper too. All full size '65 Pontiacs used the same front and rear bumpers.

Thanks for the input. You are correct that the license plate makes it look like two. While I have successfully opened the slots on both sides, I do not want to hack on the license plate to make it one big slot. I am going to quit while I am ahead. It appears however, I am going to need to open up the slots of the GP bumper too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No pics but I made a lot of progress on these over the weekend.

Deflashed all four chassis and did the same for all four of the engine's ancillaries.

Determined that I have enough parts to do four 421 Tri-power engines. Two in the 356HP version and two in the 376HP version based on my supply of exhaust manifolds and air cleaners.

Started to apply BMF to script lettering to be painted over and then revealed after paint.

Finally selected a color for the 65 Bonneville. Boyd's Chezoom Teal Pearl.

Surveyed which emblems will or will not need decals made for them. Manipilated some artwork files in the computer and made some test prints on paper to get the sizes correct.

I am hoping the spray some paint over Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubermodel said:

That's a really nice satin black, what did you use for that?

"Satin Protective Enamel #7777830 from Rust-Oleum. It makes a really nice satin finish on a test spoon. It is marginally hot solventwise. I went straight to plastic but misted the first coat and waited about 30 minutes before applying more. Note that the nozzle is a borderline fire hose so fast, short duration sweeps are required. Covers fast so a can goes a long ways. I just did all the parts for four models and have not even used half of the can.

Applied BMF to all the scripts and emblems. Sprayed Mr Surfacer 1000 primer (nice stuff) on all 4 bodies. Re-revealed scripts and emblems using a combination of light sanding with 600 grit and acetone on a tiny tip cotton swab. Also did a color test of my dark metallic reds. I have my color chosen for the 66 Bonneville now.

Red options for 66 Bonneville.JPG

1965 Bonneville in primer.JPG

1965 Grand Prix in primer.JPG

1965 2+2 in primer.JPG

1966 Bonneville in primer.JPG

On 10/30/2022 at 7:11 PM, AMT68 said:

Thanks for mentioning this Bill as I've attempted to approximate the '65 engine color with limited success. Never picked up a bottle of the Model Master engine blue (for the '66 and later engines) when it was available so will have to continue to experiment with that one. 

Scale Finishes makes both colors in enamel. I've used the Olds gold both airbrush and brush-on with good results.

And, until Nov. 30, he's running a sale and cut shipping in half.

Charlie Larkin

• Thanks 1