Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hinman roadster, a study in rust update 1/18/23

Bullybeef

What interests me is what the basic color you laid down is, that dark primer red. Is it a particular brand of red oxide (maybe Duplicolor which is darker than some others) over a dark base. It's very convincing in the first instance, before you do anything else. You can see that in the interior panels you just did.

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

Layers 2 through 4 of aging complete, now we will be moving on with some finishing details, steering, shifter, pedals and exhaust, still looking through the bins for a suitable radiator. 

D70EB6B5-C722-47EB-A854-AB99CF921643.jpeg

751F9131-8599-4B9E-BD08-E3A9733EFD3C.jpeg

That's looking good.

If you can't find a radiator, pm me, I might have one that'd work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

What interests me is what the basic color you laid down is, that dark primer red. Is it a particular brand of red oxide (maybe Duplicolor which is darker than some others) over a dark base. It's very convincing in the first instance, before you do anything else. You can see that in the interior panels you just did.

AK 11108 Hull red acrylic 

5 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

AK 11108 Hull red acrylic 

Thanks. As I mentioned, to a large degree that's most of the worn effect right there. It looks like your weathering technique is additive, probably since you airbrush. I use rattle cans so my approach is subtractive. You appear to add details and effects whereas my approach is to apply several layers like, silver, red oxide and gray primers, and even pale green metallic, then sand down and reveal key layers to achieve a worn effect. That's what's so interesting about weathering, there are so many possible approaches, often determined by the final effect you're going after as well as the basic finishing techniques you tend to use.

Build on!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

Thanks. As I mentioned, to a large degree that's most of the worn effect right there. It looks like your weathering technique is additive, probably since you airbrush. I use rattle cans so my approach is subtractive. You appear to add details and effects whereas my approach is to apply several layers like, silver, red oxide and gray primers, and even pale green metallic, then sand down and reveal key layers to achieve a worn effect. That's what's so interesting about weathering, there are so many possible approaches, often determined by the final effect you're going after as well as the basic finishing techniques you tend to use.

Build on!

@Bernard Kron I use brushes no air involved, I had a stint in the eighties where I built military armour and I remembered a couple of tricks from basic weathering.

17 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bil!

Interesting project, and your surface treatment is very convincing. Bravo!

CT

Thank you. 
there is a lot more work involved in making something look dull and haggard than there is in making it shiny and perfect haha. 

2 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

@Bernard Kron I use brushes no air involved, I had a stint in the eighties where I built military armour and I remembered a couple of tricks from basic weathering.

Good to know that you are brush painting. I'll have to give it a try. I've got several models planned for the TROG build off and this will come in handy. The one I've started for it now, however, doesn't involve weathering to any large degree so I'll wait until next year... LOL. (Note cheesy seasonal year end comment.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

Good to know that you are brush painting. I'll have to give it a try. I've got several models planned for the TROG build off and this will come in handy. The one I've started for it now, however, doesn't involve weathering to any large degree so I'll wait until next year... LOL. (Note cheesy seasonal year end comment.)

I have no secrets it’s all trial and error, I picked through an AK paint rack and picked out all the colours that had rusty hues to them. Later to discover all my selections in a “Rust” kit haha

Acrylics are more forgiving for this type of painting and I quite enjoy working with them. Layering without looking like layers is the hardest skill 

I love what you're doing with this, Bil. The time period that the subject depicts stokes the imagination. Barn finds and survivors are not rat rods. Rat rods are caricatures of early hot rods, at best and most are just aberrations. I applaud your efforts to render this historic hot rod in 1:25. I'm following.

BTW, the wheels on the 1:1 are pretty close to the ones that come in the Revell '37 pickup/ panel kits.IMG_3029.jpg.10980ec2ffb6f29a7245db192937829c.jpg

Edited by customline
Added photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, customline said:

BTW, the wheels on the 1:1 are pretty close to the ones that come in the Revell '37 pickup/ panel kits.IMG_3029.jpg.10980ec2ffb6f29a7245db192937829c.jpg

I fully agree Jim, but the reason I went with the 36 ford wheels is that the under cap detail suits my direction for the build, sans hubcaps.

Thank you for the comments. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well after some delays the roadster is back on the bench. Still working on the exhaust to complete but I have all the parts ready for final patina and assembly. Hope to update with some more before I call it down. Stay tuned the Hinman roadster will ride again.

E6292785-B759-4C6F-A4B3-96B56C6339CA.jpeg

• Like 5

• Bullybeef changed the title to The Hinman roadster, a study in rust update 1/18/23
19 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Really enjoyed reading through this thread - love a rusty hot rod!

Thank you, it’s been a fun but challenging at times build

17 hours ago, customline said:

Those wheels are the cat's pajamas, Bil.  Nailed!  Love the dented rim.  Is it my imagination or is the dust cover dented?  Very real.

Neither were intentional the sometimes downfall of using 40-50 year old parts lol.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, baby. That engine setback is really wild, too. "Front mid-engined", as they say.  :D

Looks like the real deal would have been a fun ride.

thanks gents.

little update for the day, trying to make the iconic seat cushions 

9A008C8D-1668-4096-BDE8-564C07D287B7.jpeg

ABC74BDB-7915-498B-8A34-AB661FBEACC4.jpeg

• Like 2