Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Car

mrmike

My new project is The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Car also known as the Super Spy Car by AMT.  I read that AMT reissued this kit minus the licensing from MGM and the box art didn't have any Man From UNCLE pictures or graphics on it.  The car will be painted with Tamiya TS-58 Pearl Light Blue with black seats and woodgrain on the dash and side steps.  I built this kit many years ago as a teen and now is my chance to paint it and build it again and do a better job on it. 

UNCLE01.JPG

UNCLE02.JPG

UNCLE03.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 2

I built one not too long ago and posted it here. The paint you chose comes out perfect when compared to the box art. The only thing you might have to do is get a set of decals as the ones in the box are not for the spy car at all. I'll be watching your build with great anticipation! 

Thanks everyone!  

21 hours ago, ea0863 said:

I built one not too long ago and posted it here. The paint you chose comes out perfect when compared to the box art. The only thing you might have to do is get a set of decals as the ones in the box are not for the spy car at all. I'll be watching your build with great anticipation! 

Decals?  There are no decals in my kit.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, DanL said:

Loved the show as a kid... don't remember the car but it should turn out neat

Cheers

DanL

The car was featured in a few episodes between both shows.  It wasn't used after that.

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

Thanks everyone!  

Decals?  There are no decals in my kit.

The car was featured in a few episodes between both shows.  It wasn't used after that.

Michael, take a peek at my post for decal and other information. Hope it helps.

It appears that you have a different issue of the same kit that I have, therefore you have more items in it.  I have no decals in my kit nor am I getting the PE set from Paragrafix.  I appreciate the information that you have provided.  Thanks!

One of the things I have discovered is that this tooling is very old and there is a lot of flash and parts fit is very poor. If AMT is to reissue this kit, then they need to update the molds before reissuing this kit!  Updating the molds would remove half of the fit problems this kit has already.

10 hours ago, mrmike said:

It appears that you have a different issue of the same kit that I have, therefore you have more items in it.  I have no decals in my kit nor am I getting the PE set from Paragrafix.  I appreciate the information that you have provided.  Thanks!

One of the things I have discovered is that this tooling is very old and there is a lot of flash and parts fit is very poor. If AMT is to reissue this kit, then they need to update the molds before reissuing this kit!  Updating the molds would remove half of the fit problems this kit has already.

The PE set is a bit pricey, but perhaps you could use the image in my post of the decals to make your own? At least the picture is a place to start. As far as the molds are concerned, I agree with you, but it certainly does not appear much was done to bring them up to current. Perhaps we can look at it as a little extra challenge we can be just that more proud we can overcome as modelers (at least that's what I told myself in between swear words putting the top on) :) 

BTW, if you want images from the book, let me know and I'll upload them.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:18 PM, ea0863 said:

The PE set is a bit pricey, but perhaps you could use the image in my post of the decals to make your own? At least the picture is a place to start. As far as the molds are concerned, I agree with you, but it certainly does not appear much was done to bring them up to current. Perhaps we can look at it as a little extra challenge we can be just that more proud we can overcome as modelers (at least that's what I told myself in between swear words putting the top on) :) 

BTW, if you want images from the book, let me know and I'll upload them.

Thanks for the offer EMRE!  At this point I will not need the pictures from the book.  I will look at the post image of the decals and determine if I need them or not.  I knew this would be a challenge to build and part of me understands why someone would want to build an old AMT kit.  By building this kit, I have accepted the challenge.  

Thanks Carl!

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

Mike, I have this kit in my stash (about half done) plus an original I bought as a glue bomb and some extra Corvair engines.  I did buy the PE set and  one of its best features is a set of hinges for the doors. Much better than the kit ever was.   Will be following this build and if you need parts...got lots of em. 

Thanks Rich!  I appreciate the offer!  I am going to try the hinges made with 5/32" styrene.  I may have to go out and purchase another can of Tamiya TS-58 Pearl Light Blue since a different can may have a slight variation in color or metallic content and the current can may not have enough in it for the entire model.

Super cool subject Mike.   This was the very first model kit that I finished as a kid.   Painted it with paint-by-numbers oil paints and never knew why it took forever to dry.   Needless to say it was full of finger and hand prints.   Took it to school to show friends and the janitor ended up throwing it away on me.  

Definitely following along with your build.

I tried to wire the engine by drilling out the plug holes, but there is a small hump that had to be removed first before I could drill my plug wire hole.  Once the hump was removed, I could drill my plug wire holes.  Drilling out the distributor was a lot easier!  I got the basic engine assembled, but stripping the chrome from the many parts for the engine has slowed my progress substantially.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. will return...

UNCLE04.JPG

UNCLE05.JPG

UNCLE06.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

Now that the chrome has been removed from some of the engine parts, I can move ahead with assembly of the engine like the front engine cover and the oil pan and then paint.  I glued the carbs to the superchargers and I drilled out the air inlets for the carbs and will detail them later.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. will return...

UNCLE07.JPG

UNCLE08.JPG

UNCLE09.JPG

Edited by mrmike