Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

20 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

.......I'm guessing a 10 spline  😉

I am limited by the size of my end mills... 😉

19 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

I can’t wait to see the trans. Working synchros?😁

The trans will surely squeal, I don't have the appropriate grade of oil for the 1/25 scale... 😳

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Codi said:

That is nice but I AM partial Francis.....  ☺️    great job as always....always fascinating to see how different people machine or fabricate something in different ways to get the desired piece.   cheers, tim

Thanks Tin, I'm surprised myself, I made the last one using a completely different technique. The important thing is to achieve your goals as they say! 😁

Francis

13 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

All kidding aside Francis,,,I'm just blown away by your work.....I'm just happy to get my decals on straight 😛 

Thanks Scott, I would have thought you would be "blown away" at how slow I am... 🐢

I would love to have more time at the bench and follow the cadence of ideas that loop in my head.  I have the impression that when I get there, my brain will be lazier... 🙄

I'll come back to you with my latest madness at the start of the week, I hope to have a productive day, it's snowing around here, heavy spring snow... in winter!

By the way, I love your Motown Missile, they're my favorite drag racing team, I'm a little biased... 😎

Francis

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

It's time for another update, but know that this isn't my biggest part of the project.  I've been making functional driveshafts and universal joints for a while, but I've always wanted to improve my technique and make them more accurate.  As you can see in my previous update, I thought about using a small brass bolt (and nuts) to simulate the pinion so the next step was to adapt the yoke to it.  I also thought of a new way to make the universal joint, I'm working on it and I hope to show you the result soon.  My goal is to complete all the components for the rear suspension, brake system and the wheelie bars before moving to the front.  In the meantime, I hope you like my latest little offering!

Francis

The differential yoke at early stage of machining.288_Diff_Yoke_Prog_1.jpg.5fc6d637070cd8c67b9e91e9d47daca8.jpg

Drilling hole for the universal joint seat.289_Diff_Yoke_Prog_2.jpg.9961772208af9c95ba8315c92f548a64.jpg

I drilled 4 holes for the studs and I machined a clearance for the u-joint bracket nuts.290_Diff_Yoke_Prog_3.jpg.948b04df07b7a33abfddab2ac157df07.jpg

I made a bevel cut to simulate the shape of the real thing.291_Diff_Yoke_Prog_4.jpg.6d8f822d6f95dad97703064b3bc3cc77.jpg

Another plan adding cuts to refine the part.292_Diff_Yoke_Prog_5.jpg.6b7d0dccc7d26239b438ba011f33ee96.jpg

I created an opening and a seat for the nut that hold the pinion in place.293_Diff_Yoke_Prog_6.jpg.525a15147fe1b4a065697dbc92dc065f.jpg

The final part after a lot of calculations and a bunch of small cuts.294_Diff_Yoke_Prog_7.jpg.ce9a65b5d4e2b3ff45a730bdd1fb61c6.jpg

I think this is definitely my best yet without wanting to deny what I've done before, I guess I can call it improving! 😁295_Diff_Yoke_Prog_8.jpg.bb0e195d0c7c6a0adfcda668c9d81362.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

😲 <- is all I can say.

22 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Yessir! Fantastic machine work, my friend.

22 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Drooling over here! Fantastic

8 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

No words🤯

1 hour ago, charlie libby said:

super nice francis

Thanks to each of you guys, I won't be in the making of the biggest parts in the coming days (weeks... 🙄) but it's a must and I hope that the sum of all these little things will make a nice whole, may your patience be rewarded and my eyes relieved. 😊

Francis

Sometimes the little stuff is the most fascinating because of the intricate detail. No matter what updates we get (and I think I'm speaking for everyone) we will be hanging on the edges of our seats.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:51 PM, FoMoCo66 said:

Sometimes the little stuff is the most fascinating because of the intricate detail. No matter what updates we get (and I think I'm speaking for everyone) we will be hanging on the edges of our seats.

Thanks Ace, then you will have plenty for your hollow tooth! 😊

On 3/13/2024 at 5:41 AM, Codi said:

😉

Thanks Tim, I’ll wink at you with the eye from the other side (I couldn't find the emoji unfortunately)! 😉

On 3/13/2024 at 11:59 AM, Randy D said:

Okay ,  taking notes...stealing ideas.. marveling at your skills!!!

Randy

Thanks Randy, It's not stealing if you say it first. 😁   Anyway I will do the same with your updates!!!

On 3/15/2024 at 7:55 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis! 

Fantastic work. But I guess the real challenge will be the yoke oil seal at the junction of the 3rd member! LOL.

CT

Thanks Claude, you don't have to stop for details like that! 😎

Francis

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

I didn't have a very productive weekend because I had a visit from my little sister who has lived in the Rockies for several years and who was in the area for a few days.  What I am offering you this evening are a few very small elements which largely complete the part that I showed you last week.  Once again, I tried to improve my way of doing things by trying to make pieces smaller and more representative of the real ones.  Parts not very visible on the final product but you should start to know me, it will become my trademark, I have a hard time preventing myself from doing so.  I will soon be able to make more interesting parts for those who like this type of project.  I can't wait to be able to show you a complete differential with all the details that I will finally have machined.

Francis

I started the universal joint by drilling a 0.032" hole in a 0.046" brass rod.296_UJoint_Prog_1.jpg.9dbc35089cec02d721271f394e69fd28.jpg

The hole need to be perfectly centered to avoid any vibration at high speed. 😂297_UJoint_Prog_2.jpg.4ebf9f7407f3fd1b19297d326c760149.jpg

I cut a piece of .032" brass rod and inserted it into the other to create the basic shape.298_UJoint_Prog_3.jpg.0ea1126ebb7680f2328971fa25ef3577.jpg

I tried to simulate the bearing end caps.299_UJoint_Prog_4.jpg.dfcb4e4f6cbf96923303fefe53db83a4.jpg

Since the universal joint will be almost invisible, I limited myself to making ends on two ends only.300_UJoint_Prog_5.jpg.efcdfe8f9a2069164a89ffbc562553e5.jpg

U bolt straps on the rotary table.301_UJoint_Lock_Prog_1.jpg.f64d4f93df3d15652a36bbcd2af1772b.jpg

I drilled bolt holes using a #80 carbide drill bit.302_UJoint_Lock_Prog_2.jpg.217c850e8c9d47b7c62b2dd9859f9ca2.jpg

I used bolts to check alignment but will probably make studs and use small aluminum nuts.303_UJoint_Lock_Prog_3.jpg.5f64e0fbb54765bcf775b55d2f0facbd.jpg

Different viewing angle.304_UJoint_Lock_Prog_4.jpg.c6e226f6331cb87abe9b641b8b112386.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

That seems very productive to me. Amazing work as always.

Thanks Bob!  I'm going to have to pick up the pace to finish this thing, all these little parts take a lot of time and there are a lot to do! 🙄

As long as I don't tire you with my endless updates, I'm reassured! 😁

12 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Francis, do you have an electron microscope in your shop?😂 How do you manage to see dead center on something that small? Amazing, as usual!

Thanks Rich!  No I don't have a microscope but a good magnifying glass and I must admit that I frequently hit my nose on the vice... 😂

Francis

9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Bravo, my friend! As you know, I love these kinds of details!

Thanks Daniel, I must admit that I have a little thought for you while doing this! 😉

Francis

• Like 1