Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Custom Vehicle CBP

MeatMan

Wild Custom Vehicle CBP Rules

Custom vehicles only, the wilder the better.

Can be a straight out of the box custom, kit bash, parts box build, rebuilder, or resin/printed kit/parts.

Previously started builds can be no more than 25% completed.

1/24 or 1/25 scale only.

Multiple entries allowed

The object is to have fun and be creative but it should at least look like it could driven as 1:1 on a back road, but does not have to be DOT legal by any means.

Curbsides are welcome as long as they don't conflict with the previous rules.

You must show your base kit or initial pile of parts in this thread. If you have one, list your theme or focus.

The contest will run from December 15, 2022 till December 31, 2023 unless otherwise agreed upon.

There will be no voting or official judging but I'll keep a running list of entrants.

Anyone who wishes to create a thread in the WIP section of the forum are welcome to do so, just post a link in the contest thread each time you update your WIP thread. No need to post photos on both.

Finished builds can be posted in the "Under Glass" section under "Model Cars" with the title starting with "Wild Custom CBP" then your vehicle.

Edited by MeatMan
changed custom cars to custom vehicles only

Here's my entry for the Wild&Custom build challenge. I'm building this duo using the 63 Chevy II wagons as a Custom Hauler/Racer combo with a  trailer to be built together. 

Here's what I've done so far...

Removed the long roof on the Racer, added the roadster one seat topper thing from the Olds Cutlass F-85.

On the Hauler I've removed part of the top in hopes to build a 4 door sedan. Upon researching, I realized the roof was different on the real car but all the (wrong) work was done on the model by that time. I'm gonna move on as if it was originally a wagon built into something else... I may put a trunk on it or turn it into a crew cab Elcamino of sorts... I haven't decided yet.  

20221213_182724.jpg

12 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Here's my entry for the Wild&Custom build challenge. I'm building this duo using the 63 Chevy II wagons as a Custom Hauler/Racer combo with a  trailer to be built together. 

Here's what I've done so far...

Removed the long roof on the Racer, added the roadster one seat topper thing from the Olds Cutlass F-85.

On the Hauler I've removed part of the top in hopes to build a 4 door sedan. Upon researching, I realized the roof was different on the real car but all the (wrong) work was done on the model by that time. I'm gonna move on as if it was originally a wagon built into something else... I may put a trunk on it or turn it into a crew cab Elcamino of sorts... I haven't decided yet.  

20221213_182724.jpg

Interesting project!

Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

I've stalled all my other projects to stay devoted to finishing these...every day I get a little further.😆 

I didn't realize how much work I have  here just by doing things, what I consider simple. I cut the middle section from the chassis in order to simplify the build. I had pondered on using the Chevy II altered wheel car but I didn't want another kit without a chassis.

I'm using the Hemi from the Progessive Racing team. I wanted to use that engine in the car when I seen it on the box and when the idea presented itself with building the vintage combo, it just seemed fitting and speaking of fitting, that Hemi is a perfect fit in the car just have to add a transmission. 

Cutting, sawing, fitting, filling, sanding Yada, Yada, Yada  😆🤣😂 hey I'm making progress so that's good...

20221221_182129.jpg

20221221_173916.jpg

• Like 1

I might get in on this myself. There are a lot of models dating from the 60s/70s with wild custom parts that look so terribly dated now, but I've always wanted to just build one, regardless of how tacky it looks today. I've had this kit sitting on my shelf forever. Don't pencil me in yet, we'll see how my Cannonball racer comes along, but I'll give this a hard look. Looks like fun.

Plastic Model amt ERTL 『1966 Buick Wildcat』1/25 No.25383 - Picture 1 of 5

Edited by Jantrix

14 hours ago, Jantrix said:

regardless of how tacky it looks today.

I'm with ya on the dated look... it's tough to build a model with those tacky modifications with all the modern options you have... but if you're tryin to get a build like this out of your system (so to speak) this would be the perfect one to build (IMO)

Initially models were designed to be factory stock replicas and if not for the 50's& 60's customizing scene, who knows if those parts would exist in modeling. I read an article in HotRodding explaining the "Dare To Be Different" era as almost a competition to see who could come up with the craziest designs.

These builds are now part of automotive history and the designers are amongst the most highly regarded in the industry. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I might get in on this myself. There are a lot of models dating from the 60s/70s with wild custom parts that look so terribly dated now, but I've always wanted to just build one, regardless of how tacky it looks today. I've had this kit sitting on my shelf forever. Don't pencil me in yet, we'll see how my Cannonball racer comes along, but I'll give this a hard look. Looks like fun.

Plastic Model amt ERTL 『1966 Buick Wildcat』1/25 No.25383 - Picture 1 of 5

I'd love to see it in the mix, and I know what you mean about the dated look. You could always make some minor modifications to make it more to your liking though.

Progress did a spray out of the color for the Custom Hauler.  I'm gonna put these decals on the car from the 63 Impala... with some trimming I think they will work great. The top will be Ivory... I'm loving the build! I've decided to SBC the car using the engine from the 66 Chevy II Pro-street... more on the way.  

20221231_000730.jpg

20221231_000832.jpg

16724641861317409800002715404853.jpg

I've not had a lot of progress worth posting on my C-cab but I did manage to do some chroming on the wheels & headers.

I swapped out the wire wheels for some I drew up and printed to roughly match the rear wheels, and that allowed for shorter tires.

The last pic shows where I got the idea for the header collectors.

IMG_20230104_093453071.jpg

IMG_20230104_093733551~2.jpg

Snake Exhaust.jpg

Edited by MeatMan
  • Like 1

Impressive work goin on there! Snake head collectors are creative indeed. The chrome process seemed to work well for ya, nice results... 👍 

I'm currently working on 3 or more kits at a time and this little guy fits the category fairly well for wild and custom so I'll share it here. This is leftover scraps from my cab forward project that I vowed would not go to waste. I was asked to build an Ice Cream truck so this will become the "Ice-Screamer" with a cooler in the back. A little shorty hotrod Prostreet Ice cream machine. 

20230104_183143.jpg

20230104_182852.jpg

52 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Impressive work goin on there! Snake head collectors are creative indeed. The chrome process seemed to work well for ya, nice results... 👍 

I'm currently working on 3 or more kits at a time and this little guy fits the category fairly well for wild and custom so I'll share it here. This is leftover scraps from my cab forward project that I vowed would not go to waste. I was asked to build an Ice Cream truck so this will become the "Ice-Screamer" with a cooler in the back. A little shorty hotrod Prostreet Ice cream machine. 

20230104_182852.jpg

Yes, that looks pretty wild! Good add.