Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Custom Vehicle CBP

MeatMan

I am still entering, just waiting for my kit to arrive. My first choice wasn't in stock so i told the guy in the shop what i was intending to build and to surprise me with something boxy and japanese. The big surprise is its lost somewhere in dhl's network and has been for a month

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I am still entering, just waiting for my kit to arrive. My first choice wasn't in stock so i told the guy in the shop what i was intending to build and to surprise me with something boxy and japanese. The big surprise is its lost somewhere in dhl's network and has been for a month

Wow, that's gutsy! I love it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to play along and the toy I am bringing is the 1/24 Revell AAR 'Cuda.  As can be seen by teh price tag, I bought this cheap as a parts kit years ago.  The past couple years I have been thinking what I could do with this, so this build is perfect.  The theme I am thinking is 1980's IMSA with some modern touches.

Old AAR kit.jpg

• Like 1

Hey folks, here's and updated entrant list. Let me know if I've missed anyone.

Meatman - Ford C-cab

Disconovaman - 63 Chevy II wagons

Jantrix - 66 Buick Wildcat

Pat Minarick - Rear engine trike

53GMC - Chevy cabover EV

kermn8r - 70 Cuda

Edited by MeatMan

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a slow go but I finally got some work done on the c-cab.

The engine is mostly finished so I decided to mock it up with the chassis and I think I need to raise the engine a bit.

I had a hard time with the wiring on this beast because the distributor I originally printed for it is huge, so I went with two coil packs with eight sockets each. Still looks quite busy tho.

I printed the cowl which is a raven beak cut down with some slots added for cooling.

The body will be the same green as the engine, with accents the color of the wheel centers.

IMG_20230216_145657950_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_145704762.jpg

IMG_20230216_145711435_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_145733059.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

Guess I'll throw my hat into the ring.  This is a design idea I have had in mind since before I sold off my original collection in 1984.  Just never could get the parts together back then, but with the help of forum members I can now realize my idea.

I started with two 50' Ford convertible bodies, sliced the nose off one and the fun began.

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

On 2/24/2023 at 12:13 PM, Lunajammer said:

Any thoughts of tilting the radiator cover over the front cross beam? Might make it look faster and the curves look sympathetic to the brow of the C cab. Cool to see your vision mocked up.

Thanks Ricky. Never thought about tilting it but I'll do more mocking up before I make a final decision on everything.

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

My kit finally turned up 2 weeks ago after dhl seemed to be incapable of delivering it 3 times. Its the aoshima toyota cresta and it wont look like it soon. The plan is for a full on bosozoku lke these  http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/05/event_gt_gt_bosozoku_meet/

1647360180-24882100.jpg

Those are some really, really wild customs! Have at it I say.

Since this is going to represent a late 50's-early 60's custom the hood has to be pancaked and nosed. So, I have taken care of that.  Had some issues with the hood hinge.  Normally on a set-up like this you would simply glue a piece of tubing across the hood, install some wire and bend it. But, since the '50 Ford has a peaked hood I had to use two small pieces of tubing on each side of the opening and bend hinges to fit, they didn't come out quite like I wanted.

IMG_2256.JPG

I have removed the outside taillight bulges in order to smooth the sides.  My original idea was to make a long, narrow taillight but was having trouble getting my material to cooperate.  I found a bag of small adhesive gemstones at Hobby Lobby that will work better and will carry the dual headlight theme to the taillights.  This is going to be the area which really tests my patience with filling, sanding, etc.

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 3:33 PM, TarheelRick said:

I have removed the outside taillight bulges in order to smooth the sides.  My original idea was to make a long, narrow taillight but was having trouble getting my material to cooperate.  I found a bag of small adhesive gemstones at Hobby Lobby that will work better and will carry the dual headlight theme to the taillights.  This is going to be the area which really tests my patience with filling, sanding, etc.

IMG_2254.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

Very cool and in-depth customizing.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but there are some updates.  First round of sanding was completed, which showed a significant amount of additional sanding was required. That has been accomplished and it is now in the second primer coat, which shows still more sanding needed, although not as extensive.  Here is where I am now.  Still looking at that rear fender area over the taillights, may need to blend some half round to the tops.

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

I do need to reshape the front wheel openings and am thinking I may do the rears to match, possibly just a minor sweep to both.  Have changed my approach to the rear end, I will now be adding a rolled pan to bring the fender bottoms out even with the taillight housings.  I found a sweet set of lake pipes that will change my original approach to the exhausts.  My garden, my fishing boat, and lawn work are beginning to call my name, but I am determined to get this one done soon (soon being a relative term). 

Edited by TarheelRick

21 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I do need to reshape the front wheel openings and am thinking I may do the rears to match, possibly just a minor sweep to both.  Have changed my approach to the rear end, I will now be adding a rolled pan to bring the fender bottoms out even with the taillight housings.  I found a sweet set of lake pipes that will change my original approach to the exhausts.  My garden, my fishing boat, and lawn work are beginning to call my name, but I am determined to get this one done soon (soon being a relative term). 

Good stuff!

I understand what you mean about the other distractions in our life. Glad to see the update.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much of an update just a show what the second coat of primer revealed, plus the beginnings of a rear rolled pan.  Decided to go ahead and glue the custom half-top in place.  It will likely be same as interior color since it has a very slight vinyl texture to it; it will be outlined in chrome.

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

15 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Not much of an update just a show what the second coat of primer revealed, plus the beginnings of a rear rolled pan.  Decided to go ahead and glue the custom half-top in place.  It will likely be same as interior color since it has a very slight vinyl texture to it; it will be outlined in chrome.

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

Short but sweet. Thanks for posting.

I haven't done much with mine but I'll post what I have done.

Got the front & rear suspensions glued in, along with a tranny mount that I couldn't put in until I got the rear axle located.

I wound up having to print another body because I snapped the top of the cab while trying to sand off the paint that I'd applied but had blemishes.

That bummed me out and set me back a bit because the paint was good for the most part. Oh well.

I bought some doll house hinges for the back door because I couldn't get the DIY ones to look decent. They were pretty cheap and look to scale so I'm good to go there.

IMG_20230515_084501282_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230515_084854539.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 8:05 AM, MeatMan said:

I haven't done much with mine but I'll post what I have done.

Got the front & rear suspensions glued in, along with a tranny mount that I couldn't put in until I got the rear axle located.

I wound up having to print another body because I snapped the top of the cab while trying to sand off the paint that I'd applied but had blemishes.

That bummed me out and set me back a bit because the paint was good for the most part. Oh well.

I bought some doll house hinges for the back door because I couldn't get the DIY ones to look decent. They were pretty cheap and look to scale so I'm good to go there.

IMG_20230515_084501282_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230515_084854539.jpg

Man I sure would like to see more on THIS build Dennis.