Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep CJ Howe Fire Truck

Takoma has recently released the exceptional 1:16 scale WW2 Jeep G503 MB. 

I wanted to do something a little different with it. So, I designed and printed a Howe Fire Truck Trans kit. 

I still have some parts to make, and a few parts to reprint, but here is where it is at right now.

The box on the back is one peice with the upper rails, basket and side rails separate.  I also made a siren, several nozzles, suction screen and Fire extinguisher. Doors on both sides of the box are separate parts and could be hinged. 

For the front I created the pump. I don't remember the name, but it is what is used on these trucks. 

I still need to design a front bumper and extensions, the front hoop for the ladder rack, and the ladder and rack. 

I had to cut out the back of the body, as this is the way the Howe is built. 

While most of the Howe Jeeps were built on the CJ, I figure this would be an Air Force or Navy owned Jeep. Or, one made for the military, but then sold to a civilian Fire Department.  I will be making CJ headlights, tail lights, and blinkers to do a CJ conversion. A little body work is all that would be needed.

All 3D printed parts are still rough out of the printer and need finishing. 

20221211_162408.jpg

20221211_162348.jpg

20221211_162334.jpg

20221211_162329.jpg

20221211_162322.jpg

20221211_162312.jpg

20221211_162305.jpg

Great build, I did 1/25th jeep brush trucks from the MPC jeeps. Right now, I have on a back burner a mix of the Italeri fire jeep parts on the MPC Korean jeep.

The front pumps were probably Darley centrifugal pumps. Some pumps were self-powered allowing the vehicle to 'pump n go'

P1000043.JPG.0af9cb57079d6275eca253a73d1e30e2.JPG

P1000044.JPG.25437f438b29872cb784ecdb4f7293ce.JPG

That large scale Jeep would be great to do 'Jeep in a crate' model

greg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That is just awesome! Dang you sure make me want to get a 3d printer.🤔

Between learning Fusion 360 and owning a 3D printer, I have found I can create almost anything.  It has really opened up what I can do with a kit.

I still like old school scratch building, and sometimes it is faster. But Fusion gives me the ability to print things in details that would hard or impossible with scratch building alone.

Also, it's not any faster. I spent at least 10 hours designing,  and 16 hours printing.  But, I enjoy it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Great build, I did 1/25th jeep brush trucks from the MPC jeeps. Right now, I have on a back burner a mix of the Italeri fire jeep parts on the MPC Korean jeep.

The front pumps were probably Darley centrifugal pumps. Some pumps were self-powered allowing the vehicle to 'pump n go'

P1000043.JPG.0af9cb57079d6275eca253a73d1e30e2.JPG

P1000044.JPG.25437f438b29872cb784ecdb4f7293ce.JPG

That large scale Jeep would be great to do 'Jeep in a crate' model

greg

Very cool. From looking at this Jeeps design, I wonder if it's more of a support truck. It gets down to the water and pumps up to the regular trucks. None of the ones I have seen have any hose reels, and no water tank. 

I may do another one that is a Brush truck with water tank.

Could be another "kit" of parts.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep plugging away at this build. With the large number of parts, the size of the part, and the complexity of the parts, this is not something I ever see being offered as a trans kit. The cost would put most people off. 

Anyway, I printed more parts. The ladder rack and ladder need another try. The ladder is too tight in the rack and the rack is missing a section. I am also redoing the suction hose. I tried to print the hose with ends, but it is too long and thin. So, the better way seems to be to print the ends, and use Evergreen 1/2in tube for the hose. I adjusted the hose ends to fit the tube better. 

It now sports a CJ2A grill and headlights. I removed all of the military additions on the body, but left the shovel and axle indentation as this will be an early 1946 and they still had them. 

This will represent a very early Civilian CJ2A that was converted by Howe shortly after the war. As rubber was in short supply, military tires were used as they were available. 

Again, this is still in mock-up stage, much sanding still to be done and several of the current parts will be re-printed. 

Sorry for the bad lighting, pictures taken in a hotel room.  

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg

Jeep5.jpg

Jeep6.jpg

Jeep7.jpg

Jeep8.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Real nice! The detail that is possible is just amazing.🧐

Very true. I did not post the picture, but the fire extinguisher has a plaque on it, and you can read the writing. It will be difficult to paint it, but it is there.   

3 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Very true. I did not post the picture, but the fire extinguisher has a plaque on it, and you can read the writing. It will be difficult to paint it, but it is there.   

Maybe you could do the foil under paint trick on it?🤔

• 2 weeks later...

More progress. It may not look much different,  but I redid the ladder, the rack, the grill and a few other parts. I am getting close to being able to paint and start assembly.  I think there are some under hood details I want to add, but I can add those later.  Not shown is the new CJ2A gas filler, the other suction hose and the rear hand rails ad step.20230121_153516.thumb.jpg.bf440bcf743623e356ce3005bbc51147.jpg

20230121_153506.jpg

20230121_153355.jpg

20230121_153351.jpg

20230121_153343.jpg

20230121_153334.jpg

20230121_153305.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chariots of Fire said:

That's some nice work.  I agree with Greg.  Probably a Darley pump.  But it could also have been a Barton American.  For that scale consider using some 1/4" sewing elastic for the cotton jacket hose.  Stain it light tan with a weathering powder to dirty it up a bit and add your nozzles.  

Thanks for the suggestion,  I actually already have it, but I got because I have seen you use it in your builds. I also have some tan round shoe lace I may use for a hose real in still working on.

As I recall it is a Barton pump. I forget the model, but that was my reference. 

12 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Thanks for the suggestion,  I actually already have it, but I got because I have seen you use it in your builds. I also have some tan round shoe lace I may use for a hose real in still working on.

As I recall it is a Barton pump. I forget the model, but that was my reference. 

If you are doing the hose reel consider using some red or brown small insulated wire for the hose.  It would have been either 3/4" or 1" diameter rubber in real life.  An alternative would have been cotton jacket forestry hose of 1-1/4" diameter.

• 4 weeks later...