Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Nomad Wagon

Tcoat

Just starting the process of making this:

1755463979_nomad3(2).jpg.9ca137865772786157611c865983f4b6.jpg

From these:

Body and interior

amt-1960-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-craftsman-kit-17.jpg.beb97cfd1ed2502a973717053f9bcc30.jpg

Inline 6 engine:

amt-1960-chevy-fleetside-shortbox-pickup

Chassis, firewall, engine bay, etc:

12658_9745_grande.jpg?v=1654805750

The body is an old dealer promo friction motor model and is pretty rough but the only game in town. 

Of course being closer to a toy than an actual model there are few separate parts but the detail on the body are at least reasonable. I am hoping that the chrome bits from the modern kit are at least close enough to make work but can use the existing ones in a pinch.

It looks like it had something heavy on it for a few decades and is a bit warped but that brought the price way down since it isn't exactly in collectable condition. It is nothing that can't be fixed though and makes me feel better than altering one in great shape and ruining it as a collectable for somebody into that. 

1539236612_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promosmaller.jpg.9407168ce75082599e8c932cee5216e6.jpg

amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-small.jpg.b70527402d7a33759e88481dc5ce4abd.jpg

1449681174_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-35small.jpg.d9aada9d5030715430128f43bc297eec.jpg

79072048_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-27small.jpg.b5e6f55f5a6181c39649407b1b827a5e.jpg

1253075087_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-33small.jpg.ecfa33481a9a1cf96d5315a510e1daa2.jpg

1812448531_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-37small.jpg.175d1eeaf0a874318974c6a2d71821b7.jpg

Unfortunately I can not play with the body yet since as soon as it arrived the wife scooped it up, wrapped it and it currently resides under the Christmas tree. The pictures here are from the sales site and I have not yet set eyes on the actual thing.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, Tcoat said:

amt-1960-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-craftsman-kit-17.jpg.beb97cfd1ed2502a973717053f9bcc30.jpg

The body is an old dealer promo friction motor model and is pretty rough...it looks like it had something heavy on it for a few decades and is a bit warped but that brought the price way down since it isn't exactly in collectable condition. It is nothing that can't be fixed though and makes me feel better than altering one in great shape and ruining it as a collectable for somebody into that. 

1539236612_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promosmaller.jpg.9407168ce75082599e8c932cee5216e6.jpg

79072048_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-27small.jpg.b5e6f55f5a6181c39649407b1b827a5e.jpg

1253075087_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-33small.jpg.ecfa33481a9a1cf96d5315a510e1daa2.jpg

1812448531_amt-1958-chevy-nomad-station-wagon-promo-37small.jpg.175d1eeaf0a874318974c6a2d71821b7.jpg

Unfortunately I can not play with the body yet since as soon as it arrived the wife scooped it up, wrapped it and it currently resides under the Christmas tree. The pictures here are from the sales site and I have not yet set eyes on the actual thing.

Just FYI, that body has warped and shrunk due to the unstable plastic that was used to manufacture these at that time, probably not from anything being placed on top of it.

That being said, I've seen many that were in much worse condition than yours.  (Do a quick Google image search and you will see what I'm talking about)

Just be aware that it MAY continue to warp further after you have finished modifying it.  Seeing as this is an unstable type of plastic (acetate or something similar), I would also be quite cautious regarding the type of paint I would use.  Primers/paints that might be fine on normal polystyrene could react with this plastic and/or possibly accelerate additional warpage.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

The fellers above are correct. The warping, shrinking acetate will continue to deteriorate no matter what you do.

You can pull molds from it and make stable resin parts to modify, but trying to build on that acetate base is just heartbreak waiting to happen.

I'm just starting to do a '57 Buick Caballero, pulling molds from the best acetate Century promo I could find, so I'm not just blowing smoke here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Just FYI, that body has warped and shrunk due to the unstable plastic that was used to manufacture these at that time, probably not from anything being placed on top of it.

That being said, I've seen many that were in much worse condition than yours.  (Do a quick Google image search and you will see what I'm talking about)

Just be aware that it MAY continue to warp further after you have finished modifying it.  Seeing as this is an unstable type of plastic (acetate or something similar), I would also be quite cautious regarding the type of paint I would use.  Primers/paints that might be fine on normal polystyrene could react with this plastic and/or possibly accelerate additional warpage.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I had no clue they were a different plastic and couldn't just be unwarped with hot water like regular styrene! Was so excited to find one that I did not do my normal due diligence research before buying it. Gonna give it a try but if worst comes to worst I will cut the roof and rear off, rework them, cast them up and graft them onto the Impala kit. Will still need the interior of course and the doors on the Impala will need to be filled and re-scribed but don't think that is a show stopper. Actually this may be the way to go even if I could get it straightened up since I was going to fit the chassis from the Impala anyway.

Hmmmmm...

1 hour ago, carrucha said:

That body is in pretty bad shape.  Perhaps you are better off converting Jimmy Flintstone's resin 1958 Chevy sedan delivery body to a wagon.  Resinrealm.net sells a 1958 Chevy Yeoman 2 door wagon that can be converted to a four door.  Good luck!

ORDERED! For $30 Can't go to far wrong with the Flintstone one. Add a door and C pillar and all is good. 

Teach me to not ask first!

48 minutes ago, espo said:

I bought a resin '58 Chevrolet two door wagon body from Star Models this last summer. This might also be a consideration for a base body to work with. 

I looked at them as well. It is three times the price of the Flintstone sedan delivery since it comes with interior, hubcaps , etc. Since the two door interior would be very difficult to alter I may as well go for the less expensive one with just the body. I will just use the interior of the promo to cast up a four door copy.

10 minutes ago, gbtr6 said:

Very cool project. I assume that's your actual car. I think you have to do it exactly as the picture is, sign and decorations and all.

Perry

LOL Yes it is. And with the amount of cash flowing into this project doing it exactly like the picture was pretty much my only hope of getting the wife's blessing. Not that I need her blessing but it sure does make life easier!

36 minutes ago, espo said:

That is a really tired looking Blue Flame, and I say that in the best way possible. 

It was! I was actually very conservative with the gunk and goo.

I had the car when I was still in the Army. After owning it about 6 months I was having issues getting it to start and any trips had to be planned so there were no hills to go up. Did a compression test and the gauge hardly even moved. Time for a valve job. Pulled it all apart and the exhaust valves were not much more than little nubs on the end of a stick. No big deal they made these engines forever so valves should be easy to get. WRONG. I could not find valves for it anyplace (anybody trying to find auto parts before the internet knows what I mean). This was an issue since it was my daily driver not some show piece or garage queen. Then I got to thinking that the old 1950s GM deuce and halfs we were still using at that time had a similar engine. Went to see the Maintenance guys and sure enough the valves were the exact same. Had her up and running like new in no time. 

I bought 5 of these friction promos at an auction a few years back. 1954 Buick 4dr, really rough, body seems to be shrinking, still has fairly good headlights and grille; 1959 Edsel, fair condition, some warpage, and shrinkage; 1958 Ford convertible, still fits pretty well not any excessive shrinkage; 1957 Buick 4dr, can't really remember its condition that well, bumpers and headlights seem to be in good condition; 1958 Pontiac 2dr, pretty good shape, no excessive shrinkage or warpage. Telling you this just to let you know these models are pretty much toast.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

I bought 5 of these friction promos at an auction a few years back. 1954 Buick 4dr, really rough, body seems to be shrinking, still has fairly good headlights and grille; 1959 Edsel, fair condition, some warpage, and shrinkage; 1958 Ford convertible, still fits pretty well not any excessive shrinkage; 1957 Buick 4dr, can't really remember its condition that well, bumpers and headlights seem to be in good condition; 1958 Pontiac 2dr, pretty good shape, no excessive shrinkage or warpage. Telling you this just to let you know these models are pretty much toast.

Yep. Resigned myself to that. The resin body will be easier to convert than the promo to fix. The promo doesn't look too bad and is sort of cool unto itself so will just clean it up and put it on the shelf for what it is.

Very glad I got he heads up before I spent a pile of time on it!

Edited by Tcoat

20 hours ago, Tcoat said:

LOL Yes it is. And with the amount of cash flowing into this project doing it exactly like the picture was pretty much my only hope of getting the wife's blessing. Not that I need her blessing but it sure does make life easier!

Tony,

I know what you're saying. I've done that before too.

Perry

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 1:26 PM, Tcoat said:

It was! I was actually very conservative with the gunk and goo.

I had the car when I was still in the Army. After owning it about 6 months I was having issues getting it to start and any trips had to be planned so there were no hills to go up. Did a compression test and the gauge hardly even moved. Time for a valve job. Pulled it all apart and the exhaust valves were not much more than little nubs on the end of a stick. No big deal they made these engines forever so valves should be easy to get. WRONG. I could not find valves for it anyplace (anybody trying to find auto parts before the internet knows what I mean). This was an issue since it was my daily driver not some show piece or garage queen. Then I got to thinking that the old 1950s GM deuce and halfs we were still using at that time had a similar engine. Went to see the Maintenance guys and sure enough the valves were the exact same. Had her up and running like new in no time. 

Ours was a GM family. All my uncles and aunts had Chevrolets. Base models all with the old Blue Flame and a three speed. Few even had a radio and white walls were out of the question as they cost too much. I was one of the most miserable gearheads growing up. All that said the cars I recall were all dead reliable and other than regular service they would often see 100,000 miles with zero problems. Would be interesting to find out how your car burned all its exhaust valves and was still running. I do like your solution to your problem. Looking forward to your build on your old car.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, espo said:

Ours was a GM family. All my uncles and aunts had Chevrolets. Base models all with the old Blue Flame and a three speed. Few even had a radio and white walls were out of the question as they cost too much. I was one of the most miserable gearheads growing up. All that said the cars I recall were all dead reliable and other than regular service they would often see 100,000 miles with zero problems. Would be interesting to find out how your car burned all its exhaust valves and was still running. I do like your solution to your problem. Looking forward to your build on your old car.  

I grew up as Canadian Redneck. There was no brand loyalty in my family. I doubt that my dad ever paid more than $100 for a car or truck right up to 1974 when he bought his first ever new vehicle. Many of them were free "get that junk off my lawn" cars that he would get going for a year or two and then just park out back in the field. I had quite the eclectic group of junker cars as a playground as a kid and would love to have almost any one of them back today. On the plus side I learned such skills as unsticking a seized engine with nothing but two wrenches, a screw driver, a hammer and a piece of 2x4 at a very early age.

He wasn't actually kind to them! How about a 64 1/2 mustang, six cylinder, with no floor and not much exhaust for a cross country trip in 1970 or so? If I remember right he got that Mustang by trading for a cord of firewood. 

mustang.jpg

My Nomad was 22 years old when I got it. From what I could learn from the guy I bought it from it had been in continuous use that whole time. The odometer read something like 80,000 miles but had spun over at least once by the time I bought it and as my year round daily driver and family car I probably (don't remember) put another 10,000 on it before I had to fix it. I paid the grand sum of $600 for it since it needed floor pan repairs which I did with some sheet tin, a pop riveter and liberal amounts of tar. The tar ensured that the garage doing the "safety" check would not poke around too hard. The outer body had been painted that bright green sometime within the prior two years so it looked great from the outside. The regular maintenance consisted of pouring a quart of oil into it once a month or so. 

I was not one little bit surprised when I found the condition those valves were in. The fact that it still ran at all with them as bad as they were is actually a testament to the reliability of those sixes not a condemnation. 

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 1