Model Cars Magazine Forum

Picked this kit out of the stash thinking it would be a fairly quick build.  Resin kits, as a general rule don't have that many parts. They are a little fussy but this is not my trip around the block.    Well........that was a month ago.  Many problems later its finished.  Paint is Tamiya TS17 gloss aluminium. I decided to paint the large blue area even though there was decal for this.  Two shades of Mr Color  mixed  (#328 and 326)  matched it spot on. Tamiya silvers are a little tricky to clear coat. TS13 clear has a habit of eating into the finish  if you try and clear it too soon. 10 days I let it cure but it was still not enough. I cut the red and light  blue strips away from the decal sheet and they needed to be  laid down over clear. Luckily decals covered most of the errors in the silver paint.  Needed to clear coat the graphic decals and even though I was very careful the last coat of clear wrinkled the decals in some areas. Several coats of X-22 buried the wrinkles but it took a couple of days  to do so. The restored  car resides in the Stuttgart museum and is very shiny so that is the look I was after anyway.  So much for a quickie project but what a way to end the year.  More comments in the picture captions and thanks for looking.

DSC07895.JPG.4026889d0196119c5d88de60bd3c13e1.JPGNon steering wheels are a pet peeve of mine. Fisher resin kits are a fairly easy conversion. Don't usually add a tie rod  and as you can see it required much carving to work properly.  Rod was cut in half and the tube in the middle is used to adjust the toe. 

DSC07898.JPG.7690a1999387adbe36afce2efee625d4.JPG

Finished model on its wheels. The six piece windshield wiper was no piece of cake. The sponser decals were not clearcoated....for a reason.

DSC07900.JPG.32690fcaa417a8e0b364d319d1fa7ce9.JPG

Rear view has some nice detail.  The " Martini Racing Team was cut from the decal sheet and had a blue background. Note how nicely it matched. 

DSC07902.JPG.c1d57b8b37f0fb047e425a77c5ac0071.JPG

My body warped outward while on the paint stand. Those two metal u-shaped clips not only hold the body to the chassis but correct the warp.

DSC07904.JPG.ecfd4e32dbd2b7a5769e94c0dba99dbe.JPG

This Mitsuwa 1/28molde of the same car was done a long time ago before the internet so no research existed. It also had to have the graphics painted as the kit decals were not going to make it. The red and light blue strips are vinyl tape.  Its amazing how badly a company can get a model as you can see in this comparison.  I had to wing it at the time. This model sits way back in the display case.

DSC07906.JPG.6262c750b6489e7545595d00d183a904.JPG

couldn't resist taking a picture of the whole tribe of silver Martini models. Large 917 in the back is Auto Art diecast. !/24 version of the same car is a Fujimi.   #9 Porsche is an Otaki and the #88 is a Tamiya. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Thanks Dave. I was hoping you would see this as I know you did one.  And Happy New Year.   Don't you guys get to celebrate it  first?

Yes, new year's Day over here

All the best mate

Dave B

Rich, your 917 LH is beautiful. I couldn't do a decent looking silver if my life depended on it. I hope some day I can find a 917 LH kit. I'd love to do the Hippie Porsche.

Your rendition of important subjects with these Fisher kits are always a joy to watch. Thank you for sharing it and happy new year!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very well done model, Rich - this is my favorite 917 LH - what a great way of closing the year!

Thank you  very much Helmut...glad i could make your day

14 hours ago, Smilesperhour said:

That's a beauty!!!

She sure is and thank you for noticing.

12 hours ago, Jim B said:

Very nice. 

Thanks Jim

3 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Rich, your 917 LH is beautiful. I couldn't do a decent looking silver if my life depended on it. I hope some day I can find a 917 LH kit. I'd love to do the Hippie Porsche.

Your rendition of important subjects with these Fisher kits are always a joy to watch. Thank you for sharing it and happy new year!

Silver and gold are tough because they are actually porous and absorb whatever is put on top.  I have had my best luck with waterbase clears over solvent base silvers. but sometimes I am in a hurry and can't wait the month or so for the waterbase to cure. So I still screw up.  Thank you so much for all the great comments this year.  Got lots planned for this year and hope you do also.

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Once again, I am very impressed with what you have accomplished.  The clip technique has been filed away in my kit building archive with a big star for ease of retrieval.

Thank you Gary. It is always a pleasure when another modeler can use soemething I do.  Warming that body up after it was painted didn't seem likely.  So the clips solved a tricky problem. 

41 minutes ago, slusher said:

Looks fantastic!

Thank you Carl.