Model Cars Magazine Forum

Keystone

I tried to place an order this morning and this is the reply I got:  "Sorry to inform you that as of 1/2/23 we are completely out of business. No more resin and no more 3D printing. Will as long as I live have nothing to do with model trucks ever again."

I really hope that all of Dave's (AITM) stuff is sold to someone else.  It would be a real shame if all Dave's hard work disappered.....

I wonder if keystone had some legal issues with the purchase of AITM? I noticed that part of the website dissappear first before the site went to a rebuild. Their fb page indicates they are still going. I don't know for sure just my observation. 

8 minutes ago, plastic trucker said:

Or they were overwhelmed by how many orders they were getting along with the resin shortage last year.

I think that a lot of aftermarket resin casters find themselves overwhelmed with orders, then become way behind and then finally give up. The resin shortage was no help to this. So this is very possible.

This is unfortunate. By his statement above, we can assume it wasn’t a pleasant experience for him, at least recently. I was a happy customer, and I’m sure most people were too. I’d like to thank him for his contribution to our hobby, and I hope he considers selling his product line to keep it going.

14 hours ago, Warren D said:

I really hope that all of Dave's (AITM) stuff is sold to someone else.  It would be a real shame if all Dave's hard work disappered.....

Most of that 80% wasn’t “Dave’s” he just casted what everyone sent him and just cleaned up Jim Etters and Doug Compton’s stuff  (Who took over after Jim Etter) and never gets any credit for “His” hard work to keep it alive all through the the late 80s and early 90s Dave just rode on the coat tails of these fabulous Master Builders. 

Edited by Pete68

6 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Great to know! I’ve dealt with him before and had excellent service. Thanks for the info!!

You can get everything on his list and something’s he doesn’t advertise call him. He told me he was redoing his Photo ech for the AMT White Western Star side badges and a grill to make the 4000 White to make a White Western Star. 

It does suck to loose such great companies, and it seem that this is a trend among caster lately. All for different reasons, but still sad to see them go. Family and personal health has to come first. 

While I could never replicate the incredible cabs they made, if there is a list of tanks, tool boxes and other things that people want, let me know. I have been thinking about creating some of these items and I can offer them through a 3D printer for sale.  

On 1/9/2023 at 12:03 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I think that a lot of aftermarket resin casters find themselves overwhelmed with orders,

Right, and some bad luck in their personal lives and the same time. IMO, all the recent  AMT re issues and  new Moebius kits created a  much higher demand for resin pieces, something that was done part time 20 or 30 years ago almost requires doing it full time today.  

Edited by leafsprings

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

Right, and some bad luck in their personal lives and the same time. IMO, all the recent  AMT re issues and  new Moebius kits created a  much higher demand for resin pieces, something that was done part time 20 or 30 years ago almost requires doing it full time today.  

Yes it demands a lot. When my Brother Bill was casting his products in the late 80s early 90s it was almost full time for him. I remember him saying he would talk for hours on the phone to customers taking away from his family time. Just another reason he closed up shop. I was very disappointed after he sold his rights and Masters to Jammie and he hasn’t casted much of my Brother’s beautiful and accurate work. I’ve learned long ago if you want something in resin you better get it now because who knows tomorrow they may be out of business. 

Edited by Pete68
  • Like 2

Everyone,

I normally don’t voice myself on social media at all unless I have a strong opinion to express.  As being one of the earliest model truck masters in the resin cottage industry, I had first hand at figuring out selling my products and keep a work, life, and hobby balance. Realistically, Mark Savage, Clint Freeman and me were all producing fine resin conversions and model truck accessories during the 80’s-90’s.  Until, the greedy individuals who stole our work and would sell their knockoffs through the grapevine. So each of us decided to stop selling our products.
During my years of selling I made sure I had my copyrights and legal contracts with PACCAR to sell my product under their license and I paid my royalties for many years and I also would go after those thieves.  But it became too much theft and deception of those who lied, cheated and stole our profits from us and that’s the real reason Mark, Clint and I left the cottage industry in total.

I can relate with what Doug said in his email and it is almost exactly what Mark Savage had to say when he quit.  I have heartfelt feelings for Doug and I hope he will find peace and happiness doing something different like we did.

Only the selfish ones lone for materialistic things.  Just be grateful for the short time we cottage industry people have served you all.

Master Modeler,

Bill Drennen

Edited by kwt950
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kwt950 said:

Everyone,

I normally don’t voice myself on social media at all unless I have a strong opinion to express.  As being one of the earliest model truck masters in the resin cottage industry, I had first hand at figuring out selling my products and keep a work, life, and hobby balance. Realistically, Mark Savage, Clint Freeman and me were all producing fine resin conversions and model truck accessories during the 80’s-90’s.  Until, the greedy individuals who stole our work and would sell their knockoffs through the grapevine. So each of us decided to stop selling our products.
During my years of selling I made sure I had my copyrights and legal contacts with PACCAR to sell my product under their license and I paid my royalties for many years and I also would go after those thieves.  But it became too much theft and deception of those who lied, cheated and stole our profits from us and that’s the real reason Mark, Clint and I left the cottage industry in total.

I can relate with what Doug said in his email and it is almost exactly what Mark Savage had to say when he quit.  I have heartfelt feelings for Doug and I hope he will find peace and happiness doing something different like we did.

Only the selfish ones lone for materialistic things.  Just be grateful for the short time we cottage industry people have served you all.

Master Modeler,

Bill Drennen

Well said Brother! For years I watched you suffer beating off the pirates who love to copy your magnificent long hours scratch built work to sell it for pennies on the dollar under the the table. Thank goodness those years are behind us both as I suffered the same way only in the 1/87 HO scale as you know. Now we can just build and have fun. Hope to see one of your beautiful creations here in the “Under Glass” section. 

Edited by Pete68

22 hours ago, kwt950 said:

Everyone,

During my years of selling I made sure I had my copyrights and legal contracts with PACCAR to sell my product under their license and I paid my royalties for many years and I also would go after those thieves.  But it became too much theft and deception of those who lied, cheated and stole our profits from us and that’s the real reason Mark, Clint and I left the cottage industry in total.

Master Modeler,

Bill Drennen

To you, and all of the other great contributors to our hobby, thank you. Your hard work and effort is appreciated. If this is the reason Doug is out too, then it’s even more upsetting.

I’m sorry that shameless crooks caused so much understandable frustration for you, and ruined the satisfaction of helping to provide others with a rewarding hobby.