Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos JR 2023

niteowl7710

Salvinos biz model of 'Super Duper Ultra Rare Limited Run never to be seen again' is growing old fast. At first I bought one of each to support hoping they would get better with each kit. But this biz model has driven back to vintage F1 models. I ain't getting into a fight to get a kit. Add to it the claim they do this (limited) to help the hobby?!?!?!?!?!? 🤑

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Salvinos biz model of 'Super Duper Ultra Rare Limited Run never to be seen again' is growing old fast. At first I bought one of each to support hoping they would get better with each kit. But this biz model has driven back to vintage F1 models. I ain't getting into a fight to get a kit. Add to it the claim they do this (limited) to help the hobby?!?!?!?!?!? 🤑

If they really wanted to build a rare NASCAR model they should look at the San Jose Super Modifieds, both the earlier asphalt ones or the later dirt supers that raced at the fairgrounds and until they were outlawed by the World Of Outlaws who didn't want Super Modifieds whipping up on their Sprint cars they were the only Super Modifieds sanctioned by NASCAR anywhere in the country and that alone would make a few want them to settle their curiosity and there would be a lot of short track racers who would buy multiples just for parts to build dirt or early asphalt race cars.

It's not so much Salvinos is manufacturing models of 'RARE' cars.....but rather are producing so few of each kits as to make them 'RARE' in hopes of selling out before production. All this to help the hobby. Monogram made as many of each kits as they could, thus kits got into as many hands as possible. And yes, I know it was a very different era......but limiting a production run to very small numbers is not 'helping the hobby'....rather creating demand as they did with sport figures before. 

Good luck to them, I am moving on to areas of the hobby w/o this scheme. Rumor has it Tamiya may be looking at American vintage road racing kits. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Sure wish Salvino would release a Magnum from the Petty's or the Mirada car they tried out..Would be big sellers and different too..

Those would be nice.  I seem to recall someone saying that Salvinos was planning over time to make kits of everything RP drove.  We will will see.  

The ‘79 and 80 style Impala/Caprice race cars would be be neat to see.  I have the ERTL diecast ‘80 Caprice stock cars from back in the day.  

34 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Those would be nice.  I seem to recall someone saying that Salvinos was planning over time to make kits of everything RP drove.  We will will see.  

The ‘79 and 80 style Impala/Caprice race cars would be be neat to see.  I have the ERTL diecast ‘80 Caprice stock cars from back in the day.  

I can see them possibly doing a Magnum but can't see them doing the Mirada as it never ran in a race for Petty.

The Magnum is still a hard business case to make: all new body tooling for one kit to be made? I dunno.

I think the best bet for a Petty Magnum is a resin body on an SJR chassis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

It's not so much Salvinos is manufacturing models of 'RARE' cars.....but rather are producing so few of each kits as to make them 'RARE' in hopes of selling out before production. All this to help the hobby. Monogram made as many of each kits as they could, thus kits got into as many hands as possible. And yes, I know it was a very different era......but limiting a production run to very small numbers is not 'helping the hobby'....rather creating demand as they did with sport figures before. 

Good luck to them, I am moving on to areas of the hobby w/o this scheme. Rumor has it Tamiya may be looking at American vintage road racing kits. 

It's 2500 of each decal scheme, but there are still going to be multiple Mustangs, Camaros, Camrys made of each body style. I doubt it will be a problem getting a kit for the foreseeable future.

I am hoping that the Revell tool for the Gen 6 SS and Fusion can be located and re-ran at some point. Those were legitimately great kits and are very, very difficult to find now. If they can be found and Gen 6 Camaro, Camry and Mustang bodies can be made for them I'd really like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

10 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I've had no problem getting the items I'm interested in, the key is to pre-order them....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I've had no problem getting the items I'm interested in, the key is to pre-order them....

Got an email from Salvino's saying pre-orders for Ryan Blaney and others will be available the following weekend on their website but it never happened. I emailed them asking for an update and haven't heard anything. Customer service like that has me thinking I'll just do without buying any more of their models. In the past I've bought them directly from them with no problems. What has changed? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

It's 2500 of each decal scheme, but there are still going to be multiple Mustangs, Camaros, Camrys made of each body style. I doubt it will be a problem getting a kit for the foreseeable future.

I am hoping that the Revell tool for the Gen 6 SS and Fusion can be located and re-ran at some point. Those were legitimately great kits and are very, very difficult to find now. If they can be found and Gen 6 Camaro, Camry and Mustang bodies can be made for them I'd really like that.

They were the best NASCAR kits tooled I think once you get past the issues which werent hard to fix, I really enjoyed building all the ones I did,  they blow the 90's era Revell NASCAR kits out of the water if you will.    Revell did not do a large run of them , Harvicks had the most at 10k piece run, Chase had 5k , I have no idea how many Danica's had, but I am guessing it was 5k.    I have some left and wont be letting of go them .

Edited by martinfan5
  • Like 1

Those Gen 6 kits are hard to find now after people hoarded Revell kits like toilet paper when Hobbico went under and everyone was convinced there would never be a Revell again. 

BUT...

You'll also remember that they were blowing all those Fusions and SSes out at Ollie's the previous Christmas, and those were the glue kits, not the SnapTite MAX ones.

The thing is, to Dave Vans point, it would be cool to read some reviews of a brand new tooled kit, decide if you want it and THEN be able to buy one.

Kinda hard if, by the time anyone has one in their hands and reports on it, they’re only available via eBay for over a hundred bucks.

Of course, that becomes less of an issue when they’re releasing variations on existing kits with slight changes, but I’m with Dave, I’d probably own a bunch of Salvinos kits if they were actually AVAILABLE easily by the time I see a review or build thread for them and decide I want one

Just my 2c, and I still want to add some of their kits to my stash…

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

The thing is, to Dave Vans point, it would be cool to read some reviews of a brand new tooled kit, decide if you want it and THEN be able to buy one.

Kinda hard if, by the time anyone has one in their hands and reports on it, they’re only available via eBay for over a hundred bucks.

Of course, that becomes less of an issue when they’re releasing variations on existing kits with slight changes, but I’m with Dave, I’d probably own a bunch of Salvinos kits if they were actually AVAILABLE easily by the time I see a review or build thread for them and decide I want one

Just my 2c, and I still want to add some of their kits to my stash…

Yes but the only real "rare" kit they're doing is the 2022 Mustang. They will be doing something to the effect of at least a half dozen (if not more if they decide to do the one-off Patriotic or Throwback designs) of the 2023s. There will be something like 11 Camaros before you get into one-off designs and all of the Joe Gibbs Toyotas at least once over.

They're not making any less model kits total, just splitting them up into smaller runs to release more kits choices. They made a slew of those Chase Elliot cars (along with the rest of the Hendrick cars) and a lot of places are still sitting on them. Having things sell out (on their end) by the time the kits ship out is a win to them. After all they're in this to make a profit, not make sure people can still find the kit on the shelf two years from now. 

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 2

For 2023, all kits following the 2022 Ford kits and the '23 versions of the 9&5 kits will have updated hoods and finally a dash, the noses will not be updated, no biggie, you wont be able to see the changes after decals.

Toyota final approvals should come within a week and we should be seeing some box art( most excited about this ) , sounds like they are getting the Monster approval( Monster doesn't do a lot of licensing) .

They also just got the licensing for RCR, both Austin and Kyle's Camaro's are coming.

'23 Legacy's cars

2023 Daytona 500 winner #47 Kroger Camaro.

b6obRiO.png

9SWfjGs.png

Edited by martinfan5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

They are doing the 2023 Daytona 500 winner kit, Ricky Jr #47 Kroger Camaro,  '23 Camaro's from the newly name Legacy MC ( not sure if that includes 7 time) , Kyle's #8 3chi Camaro.

All the 2023 version kits will have will have updated hoods, and dash's, they are also correcting the roof rails.

Perhaps I'll build a Waffle House diorama to go with the Stenhouse Camaro. 😄 Seriously, I'll probably build the Stenhouse Camaro to go with the '23 Chase Elliott Camaro that I already have ordered. 

Edited by TerryH

On 2/14/2023 at 11:31 AM, TonyK said:

Got an email from Salvino's saying pre-orders for Ryan Blaney and others will be available the following weekend on their website but it never happened. I emailed them asking for an update and haven't heard anything. Customer service like that has me thinking I'll just do without buying any more of their models. In the past I've bought them directly from them with no problems. What has changed? 

Model Roundup has the Blaney Menards Mustang available for preorder now...supposed to be available in March. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Model Roundup has the Blaney Menards Mustang available for preorder now...supposed to be available in March. 

It was shipped for club members earlier this week, probably would have been out this month if February had a normal amount of days in it.

I agree the nose on the 2022 Camaro, IN MODEL FORM, may be hard to tell from a 2023........but NASCAR put out a side by side photo that shows it is VERY different. The 2023 noce was a good 6 inches lower, much less pointed.....very different. If Monogram had done this back in the da......modelers would give them heck!!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I was talking about normal retail...not down with the club stuff..

Sure but the original question was about it being offered on their own website, not retail in general.  With the increase of MSRP to $49.95 that took place last week, if you're buying the kits directly from them you might as well join the Kit Club at that point since they didn't get that increase passed along to them - membership having it's "priveledge" and all of that.  You can always flip the stuff you don't want, since you have it 1-2 weeks before it hits store shelves and someone will always want to be first.

Alright I meant to do this earlier this month, but this forum is now all but useless to me when I try to access it from my phone.  The reply box goes haywire and won't let me type if I'm quoting someone, and randomly adds spaces to the posts when I've never hit return to start a new paragraph.  So this is a bit redundant at this point, but hey I made this thread, so I can dub myself relevant. 😜

February 2023 

• Company-wide price increase on the MSRP to $49.95.  The Blaney 2023 Mustang is the first kit this actually effects going forward as most reputable places wouldn't raise their already existing shelf prices on "dead stock".  But re-stocks of older kits in the future would reflect the increase.  Next Gen cars will be MSRP'd to reflect the cost of decals individually.  Cartograf has effectively doubled their price - to everyone, not just SJR - and those costs will be at least partially passed on in kits that require extensive "wrap" style decal sheets.  
  • All 2023 Kits going forward (starting with the Blaney Mustang) will now have a dashboard and electronics box included in the kits.  

Kits this month are the 2022 Mustangs for Austin Cindric's Daytona 500 Win, Joey Logano's Championship, and the 2023 Ryan Blaney Menards/Duracell Primary Livery.

1824749948_s-l1600(1).jpg.1e1bf78848914ec7583424aead639a2d.jpg

s-l1600.jpg.01170665ea407661f4ea3e73c90d3320.jpg

PF2023RBPboxtop.jpg.8569b1cb1c33b95d9d1b6072521b1e66.jpg

• Like 1