Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing acrylics with ammonia

I am often annoyed by the double masking of car bodies.

I usually mask the outside first and spray the inside with black satin (or whatever color you require). Then I take off the masks, wait a few days, mask the inside and paint the outside.

I've seen a method where a guy paints all outer layers, including clear 2k. Without masking the interior. Then, also without masking, he paints the interior with acrylic paint. Finally, he removes the stains on the outside with sticks soaked in ammonia.

It is worth a try? Do you have such experiences?

I use a similar technique, except I mask the openings and cover the rest of the body with a paper towel to reduce overspray. If I do get any overspray, I use Windex to remove it. It has a little ammonia in it and it does a good job of removing Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics without damaging underlying lacquer paint.

Ben

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

I use a similar technique, except I mask the openings and cover the rest of the body with a paper towel to reduce overspray. If I do get any overspray, I use Windex to remove it. It has a little ammonia in it and it does a good job of removing Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics without damaging underlying lacquer paint.

Ben

This^  This is exactly what I do. Just make sure it is old school Windex that actually has that little bit of ammonia. I spent half an hour trying to clean some overspray off with a noname product and was baffled why it wouldn't work until I read the label. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:15 PM, Tcoat said:

This^  This is exactly what I do. Just make sure it is old school Windex that actually has that little bit of ammonia. I spent half an hour trying to clean some overspray off with a noname product and was baffled why it wouldn't work until I read the label. 

What Windex exactly?

Windex is a brand name for a household window cleaner that contains ammonia. Stuff does a lousy job as a glass cleaner but is good for removing acrylic modeling paints. Similar products are probably readily available in other countries. I usually buy the cheap store brand. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

6 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

I believe the Windex sold with labeling that describes it as "Original" is the stuff you want.  I think the Windex products that are NOT labeled with "Original" on the package do not contain the ammonia that promotes the paint removal.

It is hard to find in Europe. I'll try on the scrap with ordinary ammonia, possibly diluting it a bit. Through water...?

Concentrated ammonia (like the refrigerant used in industrial cooling systems) is very dangerous.

I also think that the concentration of ammonia in the "original" Windex is probably too low to be a good acrylic paint remover.  In USA, in the laundry/cleaning section of a supermarket, they sell household ammonia (either lemon-scented or unscented).  It is for general cleaning and laundry use.  It is more concentrated than Windex.  That might be useful for acrylic paint removal. Not sure if it is available in Poland.

• Like 1

If you don't want to by Windex, or can't, look up in Google recipes for home made glass cleaner. You will find many. It will be water, ammonia, and alcohol.  I don't know the percentages so you will need to look it up, but it is easy to make and a lot cheaper than buying it. 

Here is just one option:

Home » Create » Homemade Glass Cleaner with Ammonia

Homemade Glass Cleaner with Ammonia

By meredith on January 8, 2019 » 18 Comments

Make your own homemade glass cleaner with ammonia and get the best clean on your mirrors, showers and windows. This homemade windex is awesome.

How to Make Glass Cleaner

With spring cleaning season around the corner, there are loads of homemade, green cleaning solutions in blogosphere. Recipes using distilled vinegar, essentials oils or squeezed lemons are all the rage. But when it comes to window and glass cleaner, I have not found a natural homemade alternative that does a better job than Original Windex. Sorry, but that’s the truth. Windex is king and “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it” right? However….I’m not a fan of the cost of Windex -$3-$5/bottle – much of which is water! So today, I’m going to show you how to duplicate the recipe for Original Windex window and glass cleaner for less than a buck. It’s fast, it’s easy and just like Windex (minus the electric blue), in my opinion, it’s the BEST.

AD

Keep in mind that this is not a green recipe. Windex is not green and it never claims to be. I’m ok with this because there are many other cleaning products I use that are biodegradable or non-toxic for the environment.  I even use cloth diapers! So… I’m not losing sleep  over the 2 tsp of ammonia used in this recipe. Pick your battles, I say. Especially when it comes to efficiency and quality!

Ok! Off the soapbox! Let’s learn how to make glass cleaner!

AD

The recipe I am using comes from a 2002 Consumer Reports booklet entitled “How to Clean Practically Anything.”  Their scientists tested many formulas and recipes and found that few homemade cleaning solutions performed as well as the store bought brands with the exception of window and glass cleaner. Homemade recipes mocking the big “W” brand did just as well.

ammonia window cleaner recipe

The Consumer Reports window and glass cleaner recipe calls for 1/2 cup soapy ammonia, 1 pint of rubbing alcohol and 13 1/2 cups of water to make one gallon. Since I’m not privy to making more than what I need (who needs extra containers laying around?), I cut down the recipe for a 32 oz. Windex bottle – a fourth of a gallon. Here are the new measured amounts:

AD
  • 1/8 cup (1 oz) soapy ammonia
  • 1/2 cup (4 oz) rubbing alcohol
  • 3 1/3 cups water

Soapy ammonia is basically 4 parts water, 1 part ammonia and a “squirt” of dish soap. In doing the math, here is my cut down recipe for what I will need to make soapy ammonia for a 26 – 32 oz. size bottle:

• 5 teaspoons water
  • 2 teaspoons ammonia
  • 1 teaspoon dish soap
  • Thanks 1

True, it will remove water-based acrylics, but it will also attack the paint on the outside of the model.  The question asked seemed to indicate that they want to selectively  remove any overspray of the interior acrylic paint, without affecting the outside finish.

Also the person asking this question is in Poland.  Not sure if LA Awesome is available there.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

True, it will remove water-based acrylics, but it will also attack the paint on the outside of the model.  The question asked seemed to indicate that they want to selectively  remove any overspray of the interior acrylic paint, without affecting the outside finish.

Also the person asking this question is in Poland.  Not sure if LA Awesome is available there.

LA's Totally Awesome works much slower on lacquers and enamels than it does on acrylics.... at least in my experience. So if you are careful, you could use it in this application. Thin it down, or wipe it on and then wipe it off. This process could even be tested on a spoon beforehand.

And it is not up to me to know whether or not someone has access to something based on where they live. It is up to me to suggest something that might work and then it is on them to figure out if they can get it or not. So I have no idea why you would even mention that.

That person asked for advice, I told them what I would try. I don't know why you would post this.

13 hours ago, peteski said:

Since I already participated in this thread earlier and saw your advice, I simply gave my opinion, based on my experience. 

I tried with 25% amonia.. Tamiya acrylic washable inside, 2K lacquer finish outside. It works.

However, I am not skilled enough to use it commonly. Maybe on smaller, more difficult to mask elements, yes.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me.

• Thanks 1