Model Cars Magazine Forum

CarlCaspers Phone Booth showrod

BIGTRUCK

This ones gonna need some time and work but with a little extra plastic here and there , 1 missing tire and mag along with missing headlight assembly it should be EZ PZ, ....I hope.

Got this in trade on this board awhile back and time to try and get it back in shape, .....again I hope. 

20230309_085424.jpg

20230309_085814.jpg

• Like 2

shouldn't be too difficult. Some sheet plastic, both clear and white should help you make the phone booth. Other "T" rod kits will get you the body and engine bits. As an aside, there was a Karl Kasper in the Milwaukee area who built hot rods and did custom upholstery and was involved with the hot rod/street rod/custom scene. Not the same guy but interesting. His son now is a top notch interior upholstery guy in the area.

• Like 1

Got all the important pieces cleaned up and mostly repaired. The 1st panel of the booth needed to be completely made, all the other panels were repaired.  Found a parts box front axle. Got the rest of the engine apart and all the interior items with the exception of the seat. For that I will have to make a simple seat. Awhile back I cast some Woodlite head lamps, think I will use them here.

20230312_153354.jpg

20230312_155352.jpg

20230312_155449.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Looks like your missing the optional AC unit (it was in the MPC rerelease Hot Rodder's Tall T version) that could go in a back window?

If I remember right (and thats stretching my memory alot😄) the MPC Tall T phone booth with Stoker McGurk did have options like the AC unit and toilet seat and spring loaded base that the PhoneBooth Showrod did not offer.

Edited by BIGTRUCK

3 hours ago, BIGTRUCK said:

If I remember right (and thats stretching my memory alot😄) the MPC Tall T phone booth with Stoker McGurk did have options like the AC unit and toilet seat and spring loaded base that the PhoneBooth Showrod did not offer.

Yep, got one on the shelf of doom. Also had a weird (Hispano Suiza) engine.

MPC Hot Rodder;s Tall T.jpg

Edited by magicmustang

The booth done and I changed the door with a solid opening door vs. a bifold door as I could not get it to operate correctly and I was done with that idea. With everything in primer that needs to be painted, I cant figure out from any of the pictures what color that hemi should be, it looks to be a  darker color. The booth Im just going to paint red and silver. The stool was made from brass rod and plastic rod with a wheel topped with epoxy for a seat. Phone and shelf will be added once I cut out the plastic for the glass and install windows . I dont have the original decals so I may just use white pressure lettering at the top saying "TELEPHONE".

20230315_112653.jpg

20230315_114507.jpg

20230315_114620.jpg

20230316_063222.jpg

20230316_063227.jpg

20230316_063236.jpg

20230316_063243.jpg

Screenshot_20230315_160526_eBay.jpg

These are a couple survivor Phone Booth models I took pictures of a few months ago as a comparison (I found the box pictures on the internet). 

The white booth is the original issue Hot Roders Tall T (with Stroker McGurk fiqure) and the red/silver booth is Carl Caspers Phone Booth.

The white booth is built stock except for pieces of the display base glued to the chassis and random pieces missing.  The red/silver booth has replacement front wheels and is also missing pieces.

I have had the red/silver booth for 30+ years and I did not realive there were two versions until I got the white booth last year.

There are quite a few differences between the kits. 

The suspension, chassis and fenders for this kit may still survive as it was available a few years ago under the Mummy Machine kit.

Carmak

Phone Booth Comparison 01.jpg

Phone Booth Comparison 02.jpg

Phone Booth Comparison 03.jpg

Phone Booth Comparison 04.jpg

Phone Booth Comparison 05.jpg

Phone Booth Comparison 06.jpg

3 hours ago, Carmak said:

The suspension, chassis and fenders for this kit may still survive as it was available a few years ago under the Mummy Machine kit.

Carmak

Phone Booth Comparison 01.jpg

Pretty good stuff you have there. The MummyMachine did share alot of drive train items. The fender unit was modified making the running boards wider to accommodate the statues lying on them. Also I have that missing headlight for red/silver booth if you want it. Send me your info in a PM and its yours. Mine was missing one so I changed them to WoodLites.

20230316_170108.jpg

20230316_170115.jpg

20230316_170121.jpg

20230316_182058.jpg

2 hours ago, BIGTRUCK said:

Pretty good stuff you have there. The MummyMachine did share alot of drive train items. The fender unit was modified making the running boards wider to accommodate the statues lying on them. Also I have that missing headlight for red/silver booth if you want it. Send me your info in a PM and its yours. Mine was missing one so I changed them to WoodLites.

20230316_170108.jpg

20230316_170115.jpg

20230316_170121.jpg

20230316_182058.jpg

I sent you a private message. Thank you so much!!

It is interesting how they widened the running boards, I had not noticed that.

Very cool work you have done on this resto!

Carmak

That's a cool looking red, it has a kind of bronze look to it.

When first seeing this kit as you were working on it, my thought was that it was in some way related to the Mummy Machine. It does seem to have the same platform, just with different dress-up bits.

As it turns out, I built a Mummy Machine last year and did a WIP on it. Here's a link if you're interested in comparing the similarities.

Keep up the great work Ken, I look forward to seeing more.

David G.

Its starting to shape up, the motor dry fit , the headers need a slight trim to fit in from below. Tires are mounted and what Im going with. The rears are originalwith M/H decals and fronts are parts box, rims and tires. Headlights are resin cast with clear resin lenses. Front axle is parts box. Seat is a simple scratched item made from a junk rim and resin seat. Still a way to go.

20230320_203104.jpg

20230320_203120.jpg

20230320_203126.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCK
  • Like 1