Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 275P #23, for the 1964 Sebring 12 Hour community build

For those of you of a tender age - the MRRN publication was

the brainchild of the late Michael Quarterman - hardcore sportscar focus with serious research and usually helpful drawings 

someone with a little time and creativity should figure out how to publish an on line modern equivalent - it would be much much better - - - 

thinking …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bytownshaker said:

Like Gary says MRRN is a valuable resource, I have a complete set and in fact I was using one today for some detail info.

Guess I need to search 'em out if I'm actually going to build all the historic race cars I have planned. 

Geez...it just never stops.  ;)

• Like 1

The complete set of Motor Racing Replica News/ Motor Racing Models was reissued on CD, with the permission of Mike Quarterman a little while back but I can't remember who arranged it, one of the "known" modellers I recall.

Dave B

• Thanks 1

Curt Raitz, you can PM him here on the forum, still has the CD with all issues of Motor Racing Replica News.  MRRN is well worth having as "An historic racing car journal for model car builders"  Published by Mike Quaterman in 1991 to...  I think the magazine had about 30 issues.  Each issue contains well researched technical text with lots of drawings and photographs of race cars  - sports cars, Indy, some are then current, and some vintage. North American, European... 

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 4:13 PM, Muncie said:

Curt Raitz, you can PM him here on the forum, still has the CD with all issues of Motor Racing Replica News.  MRRN is well worth having as "An historic racing car journal for model car builders"  Published by Mike Quaterman in 1991 to...  I think the magazine had about 30 issues.  Each issue contains well researched technical text with lots of drawings and photographs of race cars  - sports cars, Indy, some are then current, and some vintage. North American, European... 

I'm actually looking for Issue 11. 

• 4 weeks later...

Little bit o' progress. Stripped one chrome wheel, shot it with Testors "aluminum plate" buffing matalizer, buffed it, blackwashed the spokes, put a chrome knockoff on.

Looks good enough for what I want out of this build.

DSCN8018.JPG.135ff93fb820cd003cceace76b1027d2.JPG

Shot the body with a hot self-etching primer to see if I could get away with it. Yup, no crazing, but the red bled through so much it turned the primer brownish. Interesting.

DSCN8008.JPG.b0f62c4b450fc94bb453de8f319fabf8.JPG

Primer really helps getting the mold lines and divots to stand out. I removed the cockpit fairing too, just because. I'll dress the mounting points on the body, then pin it for correct assembly after paint. Locations for all the lights, latches, etc. will be drilled, panel lines will all be deepened, and the locating notches for the windscreen will be filled.

DSCN8009.JPG.8af5e4639d422cd55c14167e79750ae4.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

Thanks for your interest and comment, Bob.

Probably something like Kilz would have held the bleed back, but it doesn't really matter on this one as it's going to be red anyway.  

I shot both the red plastic models as a kind of experiment, as there's been so much debate over the years whether "red bleed" was real or not.

Now I know.  :D

On 4/25/2023 at 7:21 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

You've improved the kit wheels quite a bit, they look nice.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, 1959scudetto said:

You show us that even the kit wheels can look good when treated right, Bill.

Thanks, guys.

They look a little better than I thought they would, actually, and when you consider they look pretty good blown up to over 3 times their actual size on my computer screen, I'm sure they'll look fine on a 1/24 scale curbside model  :D  (and this is one big reason I'll really miss Testors buffing metalizer).

• 4 weeks later...

Bought another relatively cheap builtup, as the windshield on the other car proved to be too badly gloo pitted to salvage, and I've already moved both the virgin kits west. The new car gives me some extra wheels to experiment with too, as I don't want to go the same route as Pierre at this time.

Though this one's missing the front underbody panel, it's WAY nicer than the car I started this build with. And as I'm intending to do at least one full detail build of a 275P at some point, it won't go to waste.

Picture 1 of 10

Yup that one definitely has a good clean windshield, looks like in's not even glued to the body

I agree it is worth experimenting with the kit wheels. The spokes are surprisingly finely cast but IMO the fronts are a bit deep and the rim lips are too thick. Oh oh...ideas are percolating... 

• Like 1

Started deepening the panel lines with my Tamiya scribers...which I truly love. Also bondoed the gloobular remains of the cockpit fairing holes. Bondo sticks remarkably well to this ancient Monogram plastic, feather-edges beautifully. The fairing will be close-fitted and pinned after the rear deck surface is restored. Locating holes for all the little fiddly detail bits are getting drilled too.

DSCN8202.JPG.d0f73d44ce3e337e18c51e060447232a.JPG

A gloobomb 289 Cobra yielded up some tire-melted wire wheels that I THINK I might be able to turn down, to make reasonable "outside laced" front wheels, using the kit rims turned into sleeves on the lathe. We'll see...

DSCN8205.JPG.cf457f4f0eddf45359d5ffd02d065b10.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The plan for using the glooey centers from the old Cobra kit worked a treat. Photos as soon as I do a photo-dump to the other computer, maybe in a week or so.

What I came up with is nowhere near as nice as printed or hand-laced wires, or even PE centers, but considering all I want from this build is a pretty curbside that 'looks right', without getting into the kind of complication I usually get bogged down in, they'll be just fine.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good progress recently. The front wheel mods worked a treat. Panel lines all nicely deepened, just about ready for red primer. Figgered out how to do several things I wasn't sure of, too. I like to work to a plan.

Pix up this weekend lost likely.   

And thanks again for those reference shots, Gary. Though I've amassed many more, you pointed me in the right direction of things to look for.  :D

5 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Ace, just found this drawing in my files by Dale King of the interior for the 250/275P.  Might be helpful.

Thanks a bunch! Perfect timing too.

I cut the seats out of the glooey interior tub, started fabbing a new one from sheet, and was thinking about how to go about getting the right look at the doors.

This will save one whole lotta head-scratching. Thanks again.  :D