Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1966 AMC Marlin

Joe Lange

Beautiful looking restoration on this kit. Like the colors and the clean body trim. Great detailing on the engine. Your background on the Tarpon is dead on. Would have been a really good-looking seller against the intended market if it had been left on the American body. 

Love your build. I had a head scratcher moment when I saw you painted the engine red. I know the kit box depicts a red engine but I had always thought these engines were painted a teal metallic color. So I did some digging on the internet and found that most 327 engines were painted red whereas the 287s were teal. I owned a 66 AMC wagon with the 287. I want to ask where the engine decals came from that you used. I know the kit doesn't provide them.

2 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Love your build. I had a head scratcher moment when I saw you painted the engine red. I know the kit box depicts a red engine but I had always thought these engines were painted a teal metallic color. So I did some digging on the internet and found that most 327 engines were painted red whereas the 287s were teal. I owned a 66 AMC wagon with the 287. I want to ask where the engine decals came from that you used. I know the kit doesn't provide them.

Gregg,  Thanks for the comments.  I'll have to get back to you on the decals.  I got them from several sources over the past year.  The 327 valve cover decals came from 'Keith Marks Decals'.  just Goggle that and it will take you to his Fotki Public page.  There from his '67/69 Chevy Camaro Decals' sheet.  Pretty extensive sheet of decals and very detailed and well done.  He has a great line of model car decals.  His email is: mofobow@hotmail.com.  I'll let you know about the other engine compartment decals.

On 4/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, lordairgtar said:

Gregg, the majority of the engine compartment decals came from 'Speedway Decals'.  Just Google 'Speedway Decals' and it will take you to his site and then to his Fotki page.  It is under his 'Misc Decals' and named, 'Underhood Goodies'.  It is sort of a mini sheet, but they are well done, sharp, and VERY handy to have.  I normally order 2 or 3 sheets at a time.  And they are on a clear sheet so the background color will show up.  Really nice on the Fram Filter and car battery decals.  The air cleaner cover decal,.....well you're on your own. It was from an old unknown decal sheet.  (sorry)   Hope the rest helps a little!  

22 hours ago, Joe Lange said:

Gregg,  Thanks for the comments.  I'll have to get back to you on the decals.  I got them from several sources over the past year.  The 327 valve cover decals came from 'Keith Marks Decals'.  just Goggle that and it will take you to his Fotki Public page.  There from his '67/69 Chevy Camaro Decals' sheet.  Pretty extensive sheet of decals and very detailed and well done.  He has a great line of model car decals.  His email is: mofobow@hotmail.com.  I'll let you know about the other engine compartment decals.

Thanks very much. I thought the air cleaner decals looked like Chevy pieces. AMC engines are unique to themselves but if you want cubic inch emblems, then that's what you have to do.

On 4/20/2023 at 3:48 PM, moparmike619 said:

Absolutely beautiful. I love these cars, and this one wears that color scheme well. I have the original Johan annual flat box kit in the stash and can’t bring myself to start it. If I knew I could pull it off this well, I would! Excellent job

Thanks Mike.  Do yourself a favor.  Pick out some body colors and interior color and BUILD IT!  I'm sure there are plenty of folks that will tell you the same thing.  You start accumulating more kits than you will ever be able to finish, and they wind up going to someone else in the end.  Enjoy the build!

• Like 1