Model Cars Magazine Forum

No talk about the Round2 1971 Dodge Demon ?

gtx6970

11 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

This is the WM new pallet, Puerto Rico, they flew of the shelf

066e3f6a-6286-4a50-ae11-92e492e33198_Original.jpeg

For Builders - That's fantastic that the Demon will get into the hands of a broad number of builders. I look forward to seeing what my fellow modelers do with the kit especially since it looks to be one of the best of the retro clones. 

For Me - Well... Thanks for nothing once again, Round 2. I thought $32.99 was your MSRP and $29.99 was MAP? Do you just NOT want us carrying your products if you're going to enforce a Minimum Advertised Price on us that prevents us from even accepting that maybe we just have to eat the scant margin it would take to cut ourselves to the BONE to compete at this? My cost on the Demons is $18.31, and I have been waiting patiently to be able to put MPC's hottest new kit on my shelves knowing just how eager builders are for it. Literally the only weapon you've left us in sales compared to Ollies, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart has been that window where we get new releases first. Now the new releases will hit the big boxes before locals can get their hands on the kit AND they'll be allowed to break the MAP policy enforced upon the rest of us? Really, REALLY makes me want to continue being a Round 2 retailer. Just gives me all the warm fuzzies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I understand your ire , @Justin Porter. While I'm not a business owner, I definitely empathise with your and your fellow independent business owner / operators. 

That's one of the reasons why I buy local / independent as much as possible (at the risk of virtue signalling). 

Certainly, the store I've ordered my copies from (along with the '60 and '63 F-100 kits - multiples of each) won't be getting them anytime soon ; but, I can wait. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

For Builders - That's fantastic that the Demon will get into the hands of a broad number of builders. I look forward to seeing what my fellow modelers do with the kit especially since it looks to be one of the best of the retro clones. 

For Me - Well... Thanks for nothing once again, Round 2. I thought $32.99 was your MSRP and $29.99 was MAP? Do you just NOT want us carrying your products if you're going to enforce a Minimum Advertised Price on us that prevents us from even accepting that maybe we just have to eat the scant margin it would take to cut ourselves to the BONE to compete at this? My cost on the Demons is $18.31, and I have been waiting patiently to be able to put MPC's hottest new kit on my shelves knowing just how eager builders are for it. Literally the only weapon you've left us in sales compared to Ollies, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart has been that window where we get new releases first. Now the new releases will hit the big boxes before locals can get their hands on the kit AND they'll be allowed to break the MAP policy enforced upon the rest of us? Really, REALLY makes me want to continue being a Round 2 retailer. Just gives me all the warm fuzzies.

FWIW, I have heard similar concerns (not specific to this kit, but more to the impact of major retailers' discounting of some new Round 2 kits) privately expressed to me by one of SE Michigan's premier hobby/model kit store owners. 

As a former businessperson I understand the need to optimize short term financial returns from a project like the Demon 340, but I cringe at the possible longer-term impact on the hobby store and mail order trade that has historically been such a key and loyal partner to Round 2 through most of their corporate existence. 

Thanks for sharing your POV here, Justin, it needs to heard by the core enthusiast part of the model car kit marketplace that is represented by readers of this forum. 

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, drodg said:

Out of stock... Glad I ordered from a hobby shop.  

I talked to the counter guy at a local hobby shop. He has them ordered . But as of last week, no release date when he gets them. And based on other stuff he has, Im thinking they will be in the upper $30s price range ea.

Hobbylink still shows not avail 

I bought 2 of them off ebay , just to be safe. 

I've missed out on a couple kits the past few years because I waited,,,,I wasn't taking the chance with these.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, drodg said:

This has to be one of the biggest auto kit releases in the US in years.  I built it in 1971 and to think I got rid of that kit!   

Agreed, Once  the demand falls off I will probably get a couple more.  I have a couple Pro Stock versions I want to build as well as a replica of my old car.

And I think the 68 Coronet hardtop will be just as much in demand.,,,,if not more so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

Agreed, Once  the demand falls off I will probably get a couple more.  I have a couple Pro Stock versions I want to build as well as a replica of my old car.

And I think the 68 Coronet hardtop will be just as much in demand.,,,,if not more so.

The 68 Coronet will have a strong demand you are right.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Have the distributers received the Demon kits yet?

As of 10:00am this morning through my distributors... 

Stevens International - TBA
Hobbytyme - No Stock, scheduled arrival 12/31/2023
Emery - No Stock, anticipated arrival 12/2023
Heartland - No Stock

i just bought one from e bay for $29.99 got it last week,...now the 2 i pre ordered from 2 different online hobby stores months ago  im still waiting for.....the ones i see on e-bay are now in the$40$50 range!!!

1 hour ago, Nicholas said:

i just bought one from e bay for $29.99 got it last week,...now the 2 i pre ordered from 2 different online hobby stores months ago  im still waiting for.....the ones i see on e-bay are now in the$40$50 range!!!

I bought 2 of them at $49 each last week on ebay. But the order got canceled on me earlier this week .

I still have 3 of them on backorder via Hobbylink. 

Im going to keep watch on ebay . otherwise , I guess at this point , I'll get them when I get them. 

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

As of 10:00am this morning through my distributors... 

Stevens International - TBA
Hobbytyme - No Stock, scheduled arrival 12/31/2023
Emery - No Stock, anticipated arrival 12/2023
Heartland - No Stock

Thanks for the update Justin.  I wonder if the Demon shipment is still in transit on the way to the distributers or maybe stuck in a warehouse somewhere?