Model Cars Magazine Forum

No talk about the Round2 1971 Dodge Demon ?

gtx6970

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Nice kit, I'm looking forward to it.

But what do you guys think of those optional "Cragar S/S" 5 spoke wheels?

Meh....they look shallow and don't look like they have any center cap lettering.  There are many aftermarket sources for Cragar S/S wheels of different widths, so..

9 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Meh....they look shallow and don't look like they have any center cap lettering.  There are many aftermarket sources for Cragar S/S wheels of different widths, so..

Yea. It's the only thing that disappoints me in the kit as MPC always had excellent Cragars back then but then again, I don't think the original had any optional wheels at all. 

Certainly won't stop me from buying the kit though.

Plus I have a variety of Cragars to choose from and just stocked up on Smooth-On resin and rubber. 😉

Edited by Can-Con

I've never seen the annual, so don't know what optional wheels it had or not.  I have loads of wheels from other kits and the aftermarket, so I'm sure I'll find something interesting.  I have a 3D printed supercharged slant 6 and a turbo slant 6 to do street machine/Pro Touring style versions.  And a Hemi and steelies and dog dishes to do a phantom Hemi version.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

Looks good, But I wounder if the '71 Duster chassis will fit ? 

I'm sure with some trimming it can be made to work.. I've never tried the modern AMT Duster chassis under a vintage MPC Duster/Demon/Dart Sport, but I would think it would be feasible..

Kit looks awesome; can't wait to get mine. Surprised the drag version did not include some sort of hirise dual-quad intake, headers and hood scoop, but I don't mind at all. Got more than enough stuff in my stash. Will raid my 75 Dart for its Hemi, throw on a pair of massive Drag 500s, and create a quarter-mile monster.

image.png.ba0c48bdcd26ff633e46d227043eafd5.png

image.thumb.jpeg.837dc959d57bb290495578e5efbdb87b.jpeg

• Like 7

So far, judging by the images in the video, I think this one looks pretty good. 

The body is FAR superior to the original annual.

The box contents almost match the original precisely, except mostly with better parts (the new side mirrors and body look great, the chassis I don’t have a problem with except for the molded in drive shaft, but I really wish they based the engine on the one from the AMT Duster). The spoof parts aren’t here, but I don’t think they are missed. :)

The total experience is just like having one of the annual kits, except with better assembly, decals, overall quality and accuracy, and without the worry of preserving it versus building it. It’s not quite like a modern kit, though. If this is what it takes to get a Demon, then I’m fine with it. 

The original annual did not have custom wheels. The new Cragars do look a little funky, but then again, A/Body small-bolt Cragars usually looked a little weird in 1:1. I’ll wait to form an opinion on them until I see them up close, but so far, they don’t look too bad to me. 

My favorite Cragars are the ones that come in the AMT ‘70 Impala. Those have ruined any other Cragars in scale for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really keen on the separate, clear styrene 'reverse' lamp lenses ! 

The 'Cragar S/S/' rims have an ostensible positive-offset, which makes them appear more like wheel covers - really, quite like Fenton Sharks as well. 

I only wish that the interior was platform (like the 1968 Coronet), or at least that its console were separate (no such an animal as console/manual trans in an A-Body - U.S. model - after the 1969 model year).

Staying positive here ; that decal sheet is too nice ! Even the Sizzler decal and the bonnet stripes are included ! WOW ! 

I can't wait to get at least one (I've subsequently ordered more) - esp. since tomorrow's the 1st of December... and since @hpiguy already has a copy via Model Roundup ... 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

and since @hpiguy already has a copy via Model Roundup ... 

Just a point of clarification, this was sent by Round2Models from their production sample run.

Modelroundup does not have these in stock YET but of course will as soon as they are sent to them. 

I don't want anyone getting upset with MR claiming they have these kits and are 'holding' them instead of sending them out. :) 

Edited by hpiguy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hpiguy said:

Just a point of clarification, this was sent by Round2Models from their production sample run.

Modelroundup does not have these in stock YET but of course will as soon as they are sent to them. 

I don't want anyone getting upset with MR claiming they have these kits and are 'holding' them instead of sending them out. :) 

I stand corrected, sir. Thank you for the clarification . 

I'm quite looking forward to viewing your build up of your copy !

3 hours ago, deuces wild said:

I think the Demon would look more aggressive with the 5-spoke Magnums... That's how I would build mine....😎👍

The ones I remember had either 10 inch full reverse US aluminum slots or Cragar SS on the back 6 inch with a 3 inch offset on the front with Mickey Thompson Indy Profiles all around L60's back and F 70's on the front!

Of course the needed Gabriel HiJackers to clear the rear rubber with torsion bars adjusted to raise the front!!LOL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, deuces wild said:

I think the Demon would look more aggressive with the 5-spoke Magnums... That's how I would build mine....😎👍

The 1/1 Dusters and Demons, prior to the 1973 Model Year, had a smaller bolt pattern and as a result, the Magnum 500s (at least the factory installed ones) were not seen on the A-bodies best to my knowledge.  Starting in 1973, the normal Mopar bolt pattern was adopted, at least for disc brakes on V8 A-body cars (not sure about the others), but even then the prior Mopar Magnum 500s would not properly mount to the Duster front suspension (I tried to do this exact swap to mount a set of winter tires, only to find (after i had already bought them) that something prevented them from mating properly at the front....my very vague 50 year old memory on this was that the larger front disc brake hubs did not mate to the smaller hub opening on Magnum 500.)  

Good news is we are building in 1/25th, not 1/1, so I say have at it, Guido!!!!   

TB

PS - my setup (on my 1973 Duster 340, about five months after buying it) was Applicance mages, 14x6 up front and 15x7 out back, with the factory E70-14 RWL Polyglas up front and a new set of G-70 RLW Polyglas out back (and lots of simichrome polilsh to keep them shiny.)   Also, the latter year (1973-76 A-bodies) had a wider track up front (due to the new discs/suspension) but Mother Mopar never widened the rear track. That was great as it allowed me to mount the new wider rear wheels/tires without raising the ride height, while getting a slight forward rake due to the taller rear tire OD and some minor T-bar adjustment bolt tweaks up front. 

I know, way, way too much detail.  But had to share anyway...(scroll down to see the 1/1)TB  image.png.300f8471bf44ee1c418237d7a538dfbf.png

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The 1/1 Dusters and Demons, prior to the 1973 Model Year, had a smaller bolt pattern and as a result, the Magnum 500s (at least the factory installed ones) were not seen on the A-bodies best to my knowledge.  Starting in 1973, the normal Mopar bolt pattern was adopted, at least for disc brakes on V8 A-body cars (not sure about the others), but even then the prior Mopar Magnum 500s would not properly mount to the Duster front suspension (I tried to do this exact swap to mount a set of winter tires, only to find (after i had already bought them) that something prevented them from mating properly at the front....my very vague 50 year old memory on this was that the larger front disc brake huts did not mate to the smaller hub opening on Magnum 500.)  

TB

PS - my setup (on my 1973 Duster 340, about five months after buying it) was Applicance mages, 14x6 up front and 15x7 out back, with the factory E70-14 RWL Polyglas up front and a new set of G-70 RLW Polyglas out back (and lots of simichrome polilsh to keep them shiny.)   Also, the latter year (1973-76 A-bodies) had a wider track up front (due to the new discs/suspension) but Mother Mopar never widened the rear track. That was great as it allowed me to mount the new wider rear wheels/tires without raising the ride height, while getting a slight forward rake due to the taller rear tire OD and some minor T-bar adjustment bolt tweaks up front. 

I know, way, way too much detail.  But had to share anyway...(scroll down to see the 1/1)TB 

Love the set-up Tim, it just looks right. anyway is there a source for these wheels in scale, kit or aftermarket?

Cheers!

Luc

On 12/2/2023 at 5:07 PM, tim boyd said:

The 1/1 Dusters and Demons, prior to the 1973 Model Year, had a smaller bolt pattern and as a result, the Magnum 500s (at least the factory installed ones) were not seen on the A-bodies best to my knowledge.  Starting in 1973, the normal Mopar bolt pattern was adopted, at least for disc brakes on V8 A-body cars (not sure about the others), but even then the prior Mopar Magnum 500s would not properly mount to the Duster front suspension (I tried to do this exact swap to mount a set of winter tires, only to find (after i had already bought them) that something prevented them from mating properly at the front....my very vague 50 year old memory on this was that the larger front disc brake hubs did not mate to the smaller hub opening on Magnum 500.)  

TB

I know, way, way too much detail.  But had to share anyway...(scroll down to see the 1/1)TB  image.png.300f8471bf44ee1c418237d7a538dfbf.png

Tim love your Duster.  You have had the Mopars but didn't you work for Ford?  You are correct on the Magnums on the small bolt pattern on the Duster, Darts and Demons.  Though in 76 when the Aspen and Volare came out you could get the Magnums on them.  Btw the Aspen and Volares were awful rust bucket but working at a Chrysler store in the 70's I can tell you they were really nice driving cars for small cars.  

1 hour ago, drodg said:

Tim love your Duster.  You have had the Mopars but didn't you work for Ford?  You are correct on the Magnums on the small bolt pattern on the Duster, Darts and Demons.  Though in 76 when the Aspen and Volare came out you could get the Magnums on them.  Btw the Aspen and Volares were awful rust bucket but working at a Chrysler store in the 70's I can tell you they were really nice driving cars for small cars.  

David...I was 100% a Mopar man until the 1975s came out.  The Cordoba was cool, but the Charger, Coronet, and so called "Fury: (B-Body) I thought were appalling.  I did think the Volare/Aspen were pretty good given the Fed's increasing involvement in the car business, but kept my E58 RR instead. 

When I graduated college in 1978 I interviewed with Chrysler, but they stopped hiring just after my interview.  Meanwhile, took a flyer at Ford (didn't expect much) and just a few weeks later I was working there.  That lasted for 35.5 years.   The 1979 Fox Mustang (5.0) and 1983 T-Bird were the first two Fords I really, really liked.  After that is was Ford all the way...

Thanks for the comments on my Duster and for clarifying on the Magnums.  And FWIW, if I had bought a Volare or Aspen, it would have had the Magnums....TB 

2 hours ago, drodg said:

Aspen and Volares were awful rust bucket but working at a Chrysler store in the 70's I can tell you they were really nice driving cars for small cars.

The ill-fated "replacements" for the "aging" A-bodies. The potential was there ; the execution was, shall we say, hasty. 1979 was their finest hour : 200hp E58 360 with an almost true dual exhaust. 

20 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The ill-fated "replacements" for the "aging" A-bodies. The potential was there ; the execution was, shall we say, hasty. 1979 was their finest hour : 200hp E58 360 with an almost true dual exhaust. 

Yes so true with that off set gas tank and a single tail pipe.