Model Cars Magazine Forum

No talk about the Round2 1971 Dodge Demon ?

gtx6970

4 hours ago, BobbyG said:

While it's great to finally see the Demon back but why don't Round 2 use the chassis and engine tooling from 71 Duster kit instead of the MPC guts!

That was their original plan, some 10 years ago (!!). I remember that the 1971 Demon was announced and that orders* were received , but it was cancelled due to production issues. Related to that was the reissue of the 1975 Dart Sport 360, which was slated as a One Last Run of Fun , fait accompli. 

Like I've stated one more than one occasion, I just hope that the front wheelbase is corrected ! It's off side-to-side, and has been since at least 1973. Believe me, I'm no fan of certain aspects of the MPC Duster/Demon/Dart Sport kits (for an instance: console for an automatic, but a manual trans), but they're better than nothing. The AMT 1971 Duster 340's guts are easy to bash with the MPC bones.

*I despise the embellishment "Pre-Order". Something is either ordered or it's not - there is no grey area. 

Edited by 1972coronet

I for one am happy with the original design of the kit over the newer style 100 peice chassis that will never be seen on my model. I already built one of the full detail Dusters and didn't really have any fun building it ,,  but that's just me. I understand that there are many model builder who crave the full building experience.

When I crave the "full building experience" , I go out and tinker with the full size one in the garage. 

• Like 5

On 4/26/2023 at 4:59 PM, 1972coronet said:

That was their original plan, some 10 years ago (!!). I remember that the 1971 Demon was announced and that orders* were received , but it was cancelled due to production issues. Related to that was the reissue of the 1975 Dart Sport 360, which was slated as a One Last Run of Fun , fait accompli. 

Like I've stated one more than one occasion, I just hope that the front wheelbase is corrected ! It's off side-to-side, and has been since at least 1973. Believe me, I'm no fan of certain aspects of the MPC Duster/Demon/Dart Sport kits (for an instance: console for an automatic, but a manual trans), but they're better than nothing. The AMT 1971 Duster 340's guts are easy to bash with the MPC bones.

*I despise the embellishment "Pre-Order". Something is either ordered or it's not - there is no grey area. 

Of course the 71 Duster is an easy kitbash but that means buying another kit and trashing the body, etc. I guess that is what Round 2 is counting on, buying more kits in order to correct their inaccuracies.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Of course the 71 Duster is an easy kitbash but that means buying another kit and trashing the body, etc. I guess that is what Round 2 is counting on, buying more kits in order to correct their inaccuracies.

Dunno, so many kits on the secondary market, which can be used for parts, and again IMHO this is only the beginning, Round2 as they go along will improve on this, just have patience, Rome wasn't built in one day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

Round 2 never actually announced a Demon kit prior to now.  Someone spread their wish list around, and a couple of eBay sellers took pre-orders based on that.

Your memory's better 'an mine. I certainly remember those overzealous eBay listings ; and, now that I think of it, I never witnessed an official announcement from Round2.

On 4/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, Can-Con said:

I for one am happy with the original design of the kit over the newer style 100 peice chassis that will never be seen on my model. I already built one of the full detail Dusters and didn't really have any fun building it ,,  but that's just me. I understand that there are many model builder who crave the full building experience.

When I crave the "full building experience" , I go out and tinker with the full size one in the garage. 

I was not a fan of those kits. Agree 100% plus for a display model detail painting works wonders.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The question round 2 has to ask is will spending the money to implement a more detailed kit increase the kits sales to offset the substantial increased cost. It's just v that simple.

Yup all/most businesses work on a ROI approach, money spent versus money returned and beyond that investment amount. If the numbers don't add up they do not add up. Either side of the coin.  

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Round 2 never actually announced a Demon kit prior to now.  Someone spread their wish list around, and a couple of eBay sellers took pre-orders based on that.

The Demon was listed on the round 2 website as "coming soon" a few years back, then it suddenly got pulled off.

The Demon was never on the Round 2 website, or any print listing from them. It was the USA-1 Vega kit that was shown on the website as "coming soon" for a couple of years early on.  Then it disappeared and returned several years later.

17 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Yeah exactly, otherwise it's Round2 trashing half a kit into the recycling bin to provide the Duster chassis and drivetrain into a remastered Demon body and interior. Presuming those two things would even fit together without a bunch of tweaking and/or making the customer trim things themselves ala the 70 Super Bee and it's old body/interior - new chassis kit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The Demon was never on the Round 2 website, or any print listing from them. It was the USA-1 Vega kit that was shown on the website as "coming soon" for a couple of years early on.  Then it disappeared and returned several years later.

yes sir it was listed on their site, somewhere around i even have a picture of that, as i could not believe it at the time...

Edited by Mopeyguy
missed writing

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah exactly, otherwise it's Round2 trashing half a kit into the recycling bin to provide the Duster chassis and drivetrain into a remastered Demon body and interior. Presuming those two things would even fit together without a bunch of tweaking and/or making the customer trim things themselves ala the 70 Super Bee and it's old body/interior - new chassis kit.

I have used the Duster kit on my 69 Cuda with little bit of triming on the chassis and easy fit on the engine compartment. So I am certain the Demon will be an easy mod. My point though is why Round 2 can't use the  Duster chassis, engine and compartment tooling for the Demon. 

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

0930181524.jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (10).jpg

Edited by BobbyG
  • Like 2