Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions for anyone familiar with CA smog laws

Draggon

I have a problem with my very low mileage '98 Dodge Durango and hope one of you can help me out. It had a charging problem and was sent to a shop in July 2023 shortly before registration was due and it needed a smog inspection. The shop fixed the problem and informed me that I'd need to do a "drive cycle" in order to pass smog because the battery had been replaced. I was unable to do that. 

I need a permit to put the car on the road to get it to someone that can do the drive cycle. DMV says it does not qualify for a permit because 1: IThe permit cannot be issued because it's more than 60 days from the date the July registration was incomplete due to no smog check 2: I did not have a failed smog test (the smog shop said not to bring it in last year because it would fail without having done the drive cycle) 3: DMV says that cars requiring biennial smog checks do not qualify for temporary permits. 4: A one day permit to move the car only allows the owner to move it.

So I'm faced with junking a perfectly good vehicle that has served me well. I'm bringing this up because in 2001  I'd donated a '79 El Camino (that had not run since 1996) was back on the road and had passed smog checks from 2004 through 2012.

So if that El Camino had been put back on the road, there's got be some way I can get my loved Durango back on the street. It's my only car and I've been relying on friends to give me rides for almost a year......and we are all getting tired of it!

Thanks in advance guys!

We also had this problem. I'd go for a short drive at some inconspicuous time. The main thing is to get all the speeds to calibrate the engine ECU. Then, just have the smog shop fail it, and get the permit for the full driving cycle. 

The DMV is just enforcing the underlying laws, which are frequently defective. Contact can also contact your local assembly representative. They can get that permit ironed out.

I cured the 'your-car-won't-pass-Draco's-white-glove-smog-test' rubbish by registering my car in my friend's name in - ready for it - Arizona. Can't beat $78 for five years and no smog testing.

But, yes, these newer cars -- everything ties in to the BCM or ECU or whatever. 
Including the charging system.
The Mr. Wizard components need to "relearn" the system because a component was disrupted (e.g., new alternator). That's not exclusive to this [ "BlAh_bLaH_Yakkity_Sakkity"] state.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand the year wait, but at this point I think I would just go drive it around at steady speeds of 40+ for a few miles, and then some stop and go. Then take it in. Chryslers of that era don't seem to be particularly hard to complete all the monitors. In fact, pre-2000 you can have one incomplete monitor and still pass.

I think the chances of you getting pulled over for expired tags is pretty slim given where you live.

• Like 1

Just a thought...and I don't know what Cali's vehicle insurance laws are...but occasionally I'll have to drive one of mine with an expired tag to road-test, or get the computer to set enough codes to diagnose a problem after the battery has been disconnected.

It just doesn't make sense to keep all my cars tagged when they're inop, but prior to testing, I go online and add whatever it is to my insurance policy.

In my state, they'll usually let you slide if you're legitimately "testing" or "diagnosing" on an expired tag, BUT IF THERE'S NO INSURANCE, THEY'LL IMPOUND THE CAR AND TAKE YOU TO JAIL.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I appreciate your responses. However the main issue is that DMV says I cannot drive the car on the street without a permit. Since that El Camino I mentioned had been smogged after 8 years of being idle, I figure there has got to be a way to legally get mine on the streel so the smog issue can be addressed. A close friend is shop foreman at a loca Ford dealer and he say that (at least in Ca) there are specific things that must be done to complete the drive cycle and reset the computer-driving 40, or even 100 or more may not do it. 

California has two types of machines that check smog, ones before 1999 and one after. So that El Camino would have been tested on the same machine as my Durango.

And as far as waiting a year, I was needing cataract surgery and unable to drive safely. Now that both eyes have been done, I need a car!

1 hour ago, Draggon said:

California has two types of machines that check smog, ones before 1999 and one after. So that El Camino would have been tested on the same machine as my Durango.

It's even more gnat's arse than that:
- 1996- Present (OBD II The Search For Curley's Gold )
 - 
1995 & earlier ( OBD I : Revenge of the Jedi )
- 1976-c.1985 

One of the biggest concerns in regard to smog testing here is, Are the replacement parts blessed by Mary Nichols & the Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).  that rubbish is how my 2004 CVPI "failed" : its catalytic converters (there are FOUR due to the factory dual exhaust) had numbers which didn't meet the ("BlAh_bLaH_wokka-wokka-wokka") standards of this state.

Mind you, the car passed functionally (which is all that should matter) , but failed visually because some arbitrary numbers didn't jive with their Draconian standards. 

I'm not familiar with CA DMV or smog but have heard similar problems with registration from across the country.  DMV and smog are a couple of things that can get you many answers for the same question - different people at the same counter may even have different answers.  You can even get different answers from the same person depending on time of day... The answer just before quitting time ahead of a three-day weekend will be different than the answer earlier in the day or earlier in the week.  Just human nature.  Be polite and keep asking - you'll find the person that will help you get thru the system.  You are not the only person in this situation, you will get it done.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, plastic trucker said:

Can your friend lend you a dealer plate to use for the drive?

Brilliant idea, although maybe not in California. I'll have to figure out what DMV means by "lawfully possessed". From the DMV website:

Use of Special License Plates (CVC §11715)—Special license plates may be used by licensed dealers, manufacturers, remanufacturers, and distributors to operate any vehicle owned or lawfully possessed by the licensee. A vehicle displaying a special license plate may also be used to tow or transport other vehicles. A dealer may use special license plates for delivery to the buyer, when the sale is consummated at the place of delivery.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:17 PM, Draggon said:

4: A one day permit to move the car only allows the owner to move it.

What nutty laws!

Aren't you the owner of the vehicle?  So why not get that 1-day permit and drive it "to move it" from point A (where it is now) to point B (where the smog test is done)?

Many of California's laws and arcane regulations are beyond idiotic, and that fact tops the reason-list I elected to move to Az. instead.

But the folks who've ruined Cali don't like it now and are moving elsewhere...taking their irrational mommy-state mentality with them, and doing their level best to ruin wherever they move to by creating a new endless morass of ridiculous laws...too stupid to realize that's what ruined the place they left in the first place..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, peteski said:

What nutty laws!

Aren't you the owner of the vehicle?  So why not get that 1-day permit and drive it "to move it" from point A (where it is now) to point B (where the smog test is done)?

The car apparently has to go through an extended "drive cycle" of 100 miles or more, and driving it that far under the circumstances is just asking to get popped by some gung-ho REDACTED.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The car apparently has to go through an extended "drive cycle" of 100 miles or more, and driving it that far under the circumstances is just asking to get popped by some gung-ho REDACTED.

100 miles? Even for the 1998 vehicle with probably just an early OBDII ECM/ECU?

How about taking extra round about way to  get from point A to Point B? :D  Even if caught, there is a chance that if carefully explained, the cop would understand and let it slide.  It makes no sense to junk a perfectly good vehicle because of this stupid requirement.

Edited by peteski

49 minutes ago, peteski said:

...It makes no sense to junk a perfectly good vehicle because of this stupid requirement.

Anybody remember "cash for clunkers"?

Stupid requirements are what make the world of third-string bureaucrats go round.

To paraphrase, "those who can, do ; those who can't  become petty officials" whose mission in life is to exercise power over others, in an effort to compensate for their feelings of inadequacy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

If you can get a 1 day to move it just drive around town for however many miles. If you stay close to home who is to say you aren't moving it. 

Or if there is a smog testing place you can move it to that is 100 miles away you can move it there.

I thought laws in NJ were bad, I'm glad that I don't live there. 

Edited by MrMiles

I can't understand the reasons why California has so many laws and regulations covering emissions. There's enough to fill an old phone book. Here in Massachusetts, once a vehicle reaches the age of 15 years. it's exempted from the emissions test but is still required to undergo the annual safety inspection.

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Many of California's laws and arcane regulations are beyond idiotic, and that fact tops the reason-list I elected to move to Az. instead.

But the folks who've ruined Cali don't like it now and are moving elsewhere...taking their irrational mommy-state mentality with them, and doing their level best to ruin wherever they move to by creating a new endless morass of ridiculous laws...too stupid to realize that's what ruined the place they left in the first place..

Even here in my Blue state of Massachusetts, the locals are not quite that fond of the Cali folks who drove here. They drive like maniacs.

Edited by John M.

1 hour ago, John M. said:

I can't understand the reasons why California has so many laws and regulations covering emissions. There's enough to fill an old phone book. Here in Massachusetts, once a vehicle reaches the age of 15 years. it's exempted from the emissions test but is still required to undergo the annual safety inspection.

The California Air Resources Board (ironic acronym of C.A.R.B.) is full of appointed overlords . Frankly, I'm surprised that this [BiPpiTy-Boop-BoP] state hasn't started testing motorcycles ! 
I was awestruck when the rolling-exemption deal was passed in 1998. At that time, smog testing was over with for 1973 & earlier vehicles. It was supposed to be a rolling exemption...

...it halted at the 1975 model year.

A certain actor-turned-governor "Terminated" the rolling exemption deal, having acquiesced to Mary Nichols et al. at the precious, protected species known as C.A.R.B. 
All that should matter is tailpipe emissions (and evap emissions -- V.O.C.'s), but good old Cali takes it to the absurd (see my resolution to the invasive testing here, 2nd post).
But, yeah, if that bodybuilder wouldn't have caved, 1993 & earlier models would now be exempt.

Edited by 1972coronet
*TYPO*

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

...All that should matter is tailpipe emissions (and evap emissions -- V.O.C.'s)...

Yup. That's the whole point of emissions regs for vehicles...controlling TAILPIPE EMISSIONS (and evap, of course). Period.

But when you have an entire class of salaried employees whose sole function is to come up with regulations, they seem to feel the need to justify their jobs by diligently beavering away inventing more and more useless regs to write.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, 1972coronet said:

The California Air Resources Board (ironic acronym of C.A.R.B.) is full of appointed overlords . Frankly, I'm surprised that this [BiPpiTy-Boop-BoP] state hasn't started testing motorcycles ! 
I was awestruck when the rolling-exemption deal was passed in 1998. At that time, smog testing was over with for 1973 & earlier vehicles. It was supposed to be a rolling exemption...

...it halted at the 1975 model year.

A certain actor-turned-governor "Terminated" the rolling exemption deal, having acquiesced to Mary Nichols et al. at the precious, protected species known as C.A.R.B. 
All that should matter is tailpipe emissions (and evap emissions -- V.O.C.'s), but good old Cali takes it to the absurd (see my resolution to the invasive testing here, 2nd post).
But, yeah, if that bodybuilder wouldn't have caved, 1993 & earlier models would now be exempt.

I remember when they were thinking about lawn mowers. Not testing so much as outlawing the gas powered ones altogether. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, espo said:

I remember when they were thinking about lawn mowers. Not testing so much as outlawing the gas powered ones altogether. 

I'd be good with an outright ban of leaf blowers in suburban settings. Counterproductive, noisy, top-soil-ruining, plant-scaring piles of [Flash_bam_POW] -- a "tool" which all of these "landscapers" employ (hint: real landscapers do not a leaf blower own).

But, yeah... lawnmowers.