Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Porsche 917-10 Can-Am Follmer

Another completion..on a roll now. Have had this kit going on 25yrs and was always afraid of ruining the beautiful decals included in this kit.  But decals don't last forever and it was about time to bring this one to the bench. R esin kits are like  like a block of fine marble. Its a real test of the artists skill to turn this into a masterpiece.  so are easier than others, like the last one I did.  I have played with this one a few times over the years.  Lots of clean-up and various modifications but not as bad as I first thought.  Decals turned out to be a real dream and I wondered why it took me so long. Rest of the details in the picture captions. Thanks for looking. 

DSC08112.JPG.2a8b26e1064245672aa0a5c1a49faf84.JPG

BNon steering wheels on any model hasalways been a pet peeve of mine. Here was the solution on this one.

DSC08114.JPG.e6618a8588852b6a9c1a8b018f0f7367.JPG

All done and on its wheels. The decals over those front vents were a real challenge.  I cut them into 42 seperate pieces and tediously applied them. Then waited for them to cure and touched them up with paint.  Turned out way better than laying them on in one piece and trying to melt them in place with solvent and heat.  The vents were pretty deep. 

DSC08116.JPG.8664b39ed78e7db5b336fb07bd068927.JPG

Rear veiw and not as much engine detail as the last one but enough to make it interesting. The rear axle gave me fits.

DSC08118.JPG.3f02b24b4316eb0a7447d7d5f4ee4966.JPG

The lower part of the chassis is covered in Mylkar foil. The top and bottom did not line up exactly and some  sheet styrene had to be added to make up the difference.  Gotta touch up that number 7  Camera never lies. 

DSC08120.JPG.5fa9cffcfe12383a23c0cbaedde5b478.JPG

Interior was well detailed and probably could have used some more but my patience was wearing out. Photo etch seat bels and steering wheel center were a nice touch.  There is a very obvious error here. Lets see how bad it is if any of you can spot it. 

DSC08124.JPG.6421bf1ecff732a04196b7866f827887.JPG

Nice collection  here. The 1/64 version is an A/FX slot car body I repaired and fitted with Indycals graphics. The 1/43 is a Solido diecast. The mirror is in the case somewhere. 

Edited by Rich Chernosky
  • Like 5

First, you did a beautiful job building this kit...but since you bring it up...

1 hour ago, Rich Chernosky said:

There is a very obvious error here. Lets see how bad it is if any of you can spot it. 

The lines and proportions on the 1/43 Solido #23 car appear to be correct.

The same can't be said for the big one. Way, way off.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

First, you did a beautiful job building this kit...but since you bring it up...

The lines and proportions on the 1/43 Solido #23 car appear to be correct.

The same can't be said for the big one. Way, way off.

Bill...I always appreciate your input.   A-n-d  I do tend to agree with you. While I was building this kit I felt that it looked a little too chunky.  Obciously fixing this would have meant sawing the whole thing apart  and my intention was to just finish it.  A model is the artists interpretation of what they think the car should look like and this is how Formula Canada did it. At one time I knew who the casters were and it would be nice to know what they used for reference (if any) when the masters were made.  And I do very much agree with you...it looks off. But its done now and no going back.  I may ask my Can-Am expert who spent a lot of time with the real thing what he thinks.  Its not the "obvious " error BTW. Think I will  see if anyone else notices it. Thanks for the compliment. 

53 minutes ago, Monty said:

Love these cars (1:1 and hobby/collectible stuff) but was wondering about your title.  To the best of my knowledge, these are 917-10s, while the 917-30 looks like this

1973 Can-Am Championship Porsche 917/30 Wins 2020 Amelia Island Concours  d'Elegance Best of Show Concours de Sport - Canepa

There are more than a few errors in this post and you are very correct.  Was in a hurry to get it up and  I will attempt to correct it. 

• Rich Chernosky changed the title to 1972 Porsche 917-10 Can-Am Follmer
18 hours ago, afx said:

Nice work Rich.  I have the AMT 1/32 scale kit, need to build it one of these days.

Thanks for the compliment JC....just don't take 25yrs  like I did....<G>

17 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nice looking Can-Ams. Well done.

Thank you Jim

17 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Cool looking Can-Ams there. Nice job.

Thank you

12 hours ago, Mittagskind said:

Great to look at. Cleanly worked.

Thanks Hanjo...it was an interesting build. 

OK, here are the erros I spotted. Steering wheel spokes & shifter should be black in color. The most obvious error I could see is that the shifter should be down between the seat and chasis tube, not sitting on top of chassis tube. There should also be a white box attached to the underside of the body, above the dash, dead center of the windshield.

Edited by vintagerpm

1 hour ago, vintagerpm said:

OK, here are the erros I spotted. Steering wheel spokes & shifter should be black in color. The most obvious error I could see is that the shifter should be down between the seat and chasis tube, not sitting on top of chassis tube. There should also be a white box attached to the underside of the body, above the dash, dead center of the windshield.

Thank you so much Mike.  Much of the interior was guess work on my part and easily fixable. Especially the shifter. The white box is in the spare parts bin as  I had no idea  where that would go, instructions were very vague..,....however, as keen and knowledgeable as you are, you still missed the "obvious"

31 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Even if the model has its issues, your workmanship building this is outstanding as always, Rich !

Thank you Helmut...your kind words are always appreciated. 

1 minute ago, Art Laski said:

Great job, Rich! It looks great.

Thank you for the compliment Art.

40 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Pedals missing?

Helmut...they are indeed missing  as none came with the kit  and I wasn't thinking of adding them since you would be barely able to see them.  You must have crawled in the car when I wasn't looking.  Still not the error though!

2 hours ago, Dave B said:

That's a great build Rich it would look great in my cabinet!!

Couldn't find the fault by the way.

It would look nice on display with a 2H chappy!!

Dave B

OK....Dave...going to let the cat out of the bag.  George Follmers ( it was spelled Fellmer) last name is spelled wrong.  Whoever did the decal sheet (it was great other wise)  got this wrong.  It will sit near the Chappy 2H .  Thanks for the compliment. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:19 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

OK....Dave...going to let the cat out of the bag.  George Follmers ( it was spelled Fellmer) last name is spelled wrong.  Whoever did the decal sheet (it was great other wise)  got this wrong.  It will sit near the Chappy 2H .  Thanks for the compliment. 

There is a saying in German that goes like this: "you can't see the wood/forest because of so many trees" (would mean you can't see the obvious even if it is in front of your eyes !)

I believe no one had a closer look at the name decals but everybody was inspecting the cockpit and looking for a fault...

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

There is a saying in German that goes like this: "you can't see the wood/forest because of so many trees" (would mean you can't see the obvious even if it is in front of your eyes !)

I believe no one had a closer look at the name decals but everybody was inspecting the cockpit and looking for a fault...

Helmut...we have the same saying here. Oh well...this was fun.  A little to add to this story.  Around  1993-94  (before the internet)  myself and a fellow modeler were invited to the Watkins Glen Vintage by the communications director ( a good friend) He thought it would be nice to have a some racing memorabilia set up in the communications center for the participants  and others to see. We agreed (in exchange for weekend press passes)  and I took a bunch of my completed models. Included in that lot was the Otaki 1/28 Shadow.  Kit was molded in green and so was the box art, so not knowing any better I did it box stock. Shortly after setting up on Friday a gentleman walked in and enquired about the Shadow kit and where did i get it.  After I explained he said the car was the wrong color (supposed to be orange)  I asked him how he knew. He said my name is George Follmer  and I drove the d--n thing.  Well that explains that.  I have seen and talked to George several times now and he always asks if I have changed the color. apparently it just bugs him.  I haven't BTW. When I saw that decal on the 917-10 I thought....OMG...I hope George is not a member of this forum...I'm going to catch it again.  So far so good.....!!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...