Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz #582 - Finished

🤧

Again I',m too late. The answer on this quiz is  1953 Hotchkiss Grégoire Sometimes I'm asking myself what the designer though when he did the first sketches of  a car. That is my personal opinon. This car looks outof proportion, but that is a personal comment.

The correct answer were sent in by:

Matt Bacon

Mittagskind

Richard Bartrop

Ace-Garageguy

otherunicorn

thatz4u

DonW

Congratulation

Autoquiz 582.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

I knew this one, unfortunately - I've tried to put it out of my mind but failed!

Not a stylistic success to my mind.

Ideal for truffle-hunting with it's big snout, probably not so eager to turn into corners...

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Spent a lot of time looking at Panhards. Couldn't find it.

This is my search to find the thing, which I sent to Michael to demonstrate I hadn't just image-searched it:

OK, I figured with the kinda odd styling, it would either be Eastern Bloc or French.

Nothing EB came up, had a look through old French cars.

Came up with a car that had a similar front end, labeled "Gregoire", about halfway down this page, far right.

https://motor-car.net/french-1950s?start=36

Searched "Gregoire car", came up with this:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_Grégoire

More digging...   https://www.conceptcarz.com/z21740/hotchkiss-gregoire.aspx

So...it would appear this week's car is a Hotchkiss Gregoire Coupe, one of seven (?) built in 1952-'53.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

I went old school: decided it was early 50s and pulled a couple of volumes of “The Observers Book of Automobiles” annual editions from the (almost) full set in my office and started flicking through the pages… It’s a reasonably quick process when there are a lot of manufacturers you know it ISN’T 😜

best,

M.

• Like 1

I know about Gregoire from perusing Automobile Quarterly, and it looked like one of his, so a trip to Google to detail the details.

Jean-Albert Grégoire was an interesting guy.  He was an early promoter of front wheel drive.  and there's actually some neat engineering under that sheet metal.

Supposedly, they handled very well.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

On 7/12/2023 at 8:58 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I know about Gregoire from perusing Automobile Quarterly, and it looked like one of his, so a trip to Google to detail the details.

Jean-Albert Grégoire was an interesting guy.  He was an early promoter of front wheel drive.  and there's actually some neat engineering under that sheet metal.

Supposedly, they handled very well.

Thanks Richard. Well you live and learn, it seems the looks are deceptive where the handling is concerned. The French seem to have a proud tradition of deliberately odd styling! Viva la revolution!