Model Cars Magazine Forum

When an American car company hires a Swiss engineering co. to have a car built in Germany to be sponsored by a Russian petro chemical co. to compete in a French race (along with some other international venues as well). 

So glad to get this bugger kit from the short lived French model  company, Simil'R, done is an understatement. I was determined to finally see this build through after putting it aside many times in frustration over the past 10 years. Not a kit for the inexperineced. Many of the assemblies lack positive mounting points so one needs to always be a couple of steps ahead in the building process to anticapate any future fit problems. The body alone is made up of 12 panels which I got to line up pretty well but wish I could of done a better job on the door tops that curve over onto the roof. 

The suspension A arms are very delicate and easy to break which happened to one of mine so a bit of repair was needed to fix and to hope I made it strong enough to support the  weight of the large wheel/tire. Then when I got the front suspension all assembed the track was too wide with the tires sticking out about 1/8 inch past the fenders. So more carefull shortening of the front suspension arms was required to get the roundy bits tucked under the fender lips.

The paint is Zero's Matech Ford GT Blue over Tamiya primer with Zero Diamond 2k clear. The decals by Cartograph were pretty good to work with except dealing with the chrome border striping. Almost impossible to get to conform to changes of surface direction. Any of my arsenal of decal sovents had no effect. Lots of blow dryer heat with firm pursuasion got the job done over long decaling sessions. 

As detailed as the instructions were there was no mention of placement of the p/e rear tow hook even though it's on the p/e parts tree. The instructions also show a roof antenna appearing near one of the final steps but with no part# and not one in the kit so I grabbed one from my stash since their is already a hole in the roof to mount one.

If I didn't have any other projects to finish in this lifetime it would be great to add tons of detail to this kit knowing where the shortfalls are now. I was able to find loads of reference pics of the real car and it's 3 sister racers. Those  images came in handy a lot with this build.  All in all with all the Matech's issues  I'm now happy as a joke in a giggle factory to have completed this cool car!

IMG_6479.jpeg

IMG_6476.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

IMG_6482.jpeg

IMG_6487.jpeg

• Like 7

Brilliant job..... that looks super cool. I've heard so many things about this kit that I just glance at it on the shelves of my stash from time to time and quickly come to my senses. You've done stellar work wrestling it into submission, and produced a result you can really be proud of. Full marks as well for achieving removable panels that fit neatly back into position...

Great!

best,

Matt

Edited by Matt Bacon

Mike...this kit was indeed a "bugger" as your post points out. I had major problems with the door fit.  But it looks like your perservearance has paid off and you have succeeded  with a great  looking model. Congrats on a job well done.   When did S'imil R go out of business ?  

22 minutes ago, mgbdriver said:

not sure what the story is with Simil'R shutting down but they only produced 3 different livery Matech GTs, 2 versions of the Focus WRC car and a Pescarlo Judd (should spell check that one).

I  also have the Focus and the Pescarolo.  I thought the company had a future as those kits were still buggers but were getting there.  Too bad ,,,hate to see a company go. 

• 3 weeks later...

Of course you are 100% correct in your assessment of this kit.  I have two of them and the one I started is exactly like what you said..... it takes months of labor intensive work, gets put back in the box for not cooperating, and every now and again brought back to the workbench.  My started one is currently in the dog house for being a b*tch and not playing nice in the sandbox.  If I ever get it finished, if it turns out half as nice as yours I will be thrilled.  But really, I am not holding my breath.  Great job on a bear of a kit. 

• 1 month later...