Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ford Starliner

radiohd10

12 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Outstanding work as usual. Excellent photography as well. 👌

12 hours ago, bbowser said:

Wow that is gorgeous!  Thanks for posting.

11 hours ago, Jay Whittaker said:

Absolutely STUNNING build!! Your paint work is top-notch, the detailing is superb, and the end result as a whole definitely hits the mark!!

11 hours ago, charger74 said:

It looks really good, i love the color 

10 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Between your wonderful choice of car, the exquisite build, the incredible photography - - - okay, you're just showing off! :) 

10 hours ago, Sidney Schwartz said:

People like you are the reason I have so little talent. You got your share, and mine too. 😄

hahah thanks! 

10 hours ago, bondo bill said:

Gorgeous

10 hours ago, JTalmage said:

Absolutely beautiful. Color choice makes this car too. Well done.

5 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

2 hours ago, Tom99 said:

A beautiful build!

2 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Wow. I have this kit and never thought it could look that good. Great tutorial on the bmf too. Well done Ryan and thanks for sharing. 

Cheers,

David. 😎👍20160901_174915.thumb.jpg.6133bab0f5e33e1b1a77bcfb47ec26f7.jpg

Thanks! I almost went with wheels like that too. 

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Starliner, Ryan.  really well done.  I like your backdrop, too.

1 hour ago, jdhog said:

Beautiful.  😲

1 hour ago, Mike 1017 said:

Beautifully done. That is my favorite color of all time. I think it would look good on a Prius.

thanks alot guys!!

8 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Absolutely gorgeous. How did you do the dash?

thanks! the gauge cover and glove box emblem are model car garage photo etch pieces.  the rest is just bare metal foil and paint.  

5 minutes ago, Slotto said:

Beautiful build. Love the outdoor shots. Incredible details. Outstanding overall 

2 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Lovely build. High degree of realism. Detailing, paint, and foil all top notch. Beautiful work.

thanks guys! appreciate it. 

Really really nice job Ryan on this Starliner. I built and posted an evening orchid one as well last year, the best color on this car IMO. Painting the MCG PE emblems is a great idea, I masked and dry-brushed the molded on emblems on my build using gold enamel but your’s look better. Love the herringbone fabric seat decals as well. I think this is AMT’s best kit and have two more on my stash and hope to build an early stock drag car with one of them. 
Question: did you use tires from an  AMT Impala kit because of the funky Firestone sidewall emblems molded into the Starliner tires?

Beautiful looking paint color and finish. The body trim is all very cleanly done as is the interior. The engine compartment looks very realistic. Always enjoy your shoreline background pictures. 

2 hours ago, thatz4u said:

very nice, I really like 1960 Fords...

thumbsup.jpg

thanks!

1 hour ago, papajohn97 said:

Really really nice job Ryan on this Starliner. I built and posted an evening orchid one as well last year, the best color on this car IMO. Painting the MCG PE emblems is a great idea, I masked and dry-brushed the molded on emblems on my build using gold enamel but your’s look better. Love the herringbone fabric seat decals as well. I think this is AMT’s best kit and have two more on my stash and hope to build an early stock drag car with one of them. 
Question: did you use tires from an  AMT Impala kit because of the funky Firestone sidewall emblems molded into the Starliner tires?

Thanks! I just took a look at yours too!  Great minds...!  I think your emblems look just as good...  And I actually prefer the way you did the seats - i painted mine similarly, and bought the seat decals thinking they were patterned over a clear backing so the color on the seats would come through. I didn't realize until i started applying them that they had a white background. then i had to pivot a bit.  they looked pretty blah until i hit them with some matte clear, and now I'm pretty happy with them.  as far as the wheels go, the ones that came in my kit were in rough shape (it was "used") and i didn't want to paint the white walls. Thieving from a kit I probably won't be building any time soon seemed like a much easier option haha. 

50 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint color and finish. The body trim is all very cleanly done as is the interior. The engine compartment looks very realistic. Always enjoy your shoreline background pictures. 

thanks! taking the cars down to the river for a photo shoot is literally my favorite part of the build, so i'm glad you like them!

On 7/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, karbuildr said:

Stunning build. Love that Evening Orchid color and it really works on this car. Engine compartment looks incredibly real, excellent interior detailing.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:42 AM, Kodiak Island Modeler said:

That is one of the best examples of this kit that I've ever seen.   I really wish that the next time they release it that they would include the full wheel covers.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, ATHU said:

Looks absolutely sensational, superb job Ryan!!

thanks duders!

2 hours ago, e30lover said:

stunning build and equally stunning photography! I'd love to learn more about your setup.

Thanks! The outdoor pics are all taken with my iPhone. I bought a large cork bulletin board and painted it with matte black primer then weathered it up a bit to make it look like asphalt.  For the photos, I just walk around nyc until I find a spot with a good back drop. Then I put the cork board on something high enough (It’s usually a garbage pail haha) that the items in the background start looking in scale . Other times I just hold it up in my free hand and take the photo with the other one. It’s so much fun to play around with perspective like that.  Here’s a look… 

IMG_7656.thumb.jpeg.c2db87010ae15aa6cdd7edce19db1896.jpegIMG_7648.thumb.jpeg.ff13cea984593acc30aa1216d67c7e09.jpeg

the white background shots were done with the same camera but I used a cheap light booth I bought on Amazon. It’s a collapsible 24”x24” box that comes with different background colors and led lights. So far I really like it. Here’s the starliner zoomed out

IMG_2182.thumb.jpeg.0e6cebca2a96148a78b44224292202c2.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, radiohd10 said:

Thanks! The outdoor pics are all taken with my iPhone. I bought a large cork bulletin board and painted it with matte black primer then weathered it up a bit to make it look like asphalt.  For the photos, I just walk around nyc until I find a spot with a good back drop. Then I put the cork board on something high enough (It’s usually a garbage pail haha) that the items in the background start looking in scale . Other times I just hold it up in my free hand and take the photo with the other one. It’s so much fun to play around with perspective like that.  Here’s a look… 

IMG_7656.thumb.jpeg.c2db87010ae15aa6cdd7edce19db1896.jpegIMG_7648.thumb.jpeg.ff13cea984593acc30aa1216d67c7e09.jpeg

the white background shots were done with the same camera but I used a cheap light booth I bought on Amazon. It’s a collapsible 24”x24” box that comes with different background colors and led lights. So far I really like it. Here’s the starliner zoomed out

IMG_2182.thumb.jpeg.0e6cebca2a96148a78b44224292202c2.jpeg

That's amazing. Great idea creating a realistic scale "floor".  I need to get on that!  Thank you for sharing your tips and tricks! 

• Like 1

You’ve done a most enviable job on this Starliner! Truly gorgeous. Your attention to detail is really remarkable and subtle touches like lowering the front end really add to the amazingly realistic look that it has. Thanks for sharing your tips on your bmf application and photo techniques.

3 hours ago, slusher said:

impressive Starliner!

2 hours ago, Smitty said:

You’ve done a most enviable job on this Starliner! Truly gorgeous. Your attention to detail is really remarkable and subtle touches like lowering the front end really add to the amazingly realistic look that it has. Thanks for sharing your tips on your bmf application and photo techniques.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Andy Oldenburg said:

Hi Ryan,

fantastic build! Great job👍

Ho did you do the benches? Did you apply a textile or that a special technique?

thanks - they were painted then finished with the scale motorsport interior pattern decals set.  they needed tons of microsol and had to be finished with matte clear coat, but i really like how they came out.  

I was hard pressed to find anything that would suggest this was not a real automobile.  The only giveaway was the out of scale spark plug wires.  This is not a criticism, just an observation.  Just an absolutely incredible build and probably the best photo shoot I've ever seen.  Simply stunning.

A quick question for you Ryan. Id like to give the surgical scalpels a try. Did you purchase just the #11 blades, or did you need to buy a corresponding handle too? I was wondering if the scalpel blades fit in a regular X-acto handle.

Thanks-

15 minutes ago, Smitty said:

A quick question for you Ryan. Id like to give the surgical scalpels a try. Did you purchase just the #11 blades, or did you need to buy a corresponding handle too? I was wondering if the scalpel blades fit in a regular X-acto handle.

Thanks-

I just bought the blades and use the regular exacto holder.  Didn’t even need to cut the ends off. Super cheap too. I got these… just be careful - I’ve definitely learned how sharp they are the hard way 🤦🏻‍♂️ IMG_2837.jpeg.532c34754f1ebe61d579340de05db113.jpeg

Edited by radiohd10
  • Like 1