Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1978 Dodge D100

Here is my take on the recent issue of the MPC Dodge D100:

20230629_165700.thumb.jpg.12d3eb9edf777ea796dd3ba6ff5adeea.jpg

The build is essentially box-stock, with a couple of add-ons.  The "County Road Commission" decals & the MPC bumper sticker are from the recent issue of the MPC Gravel Trailer, the roof marker lights are from the AMT 1972 Chevrolet C10 Fleetside pickup, Michigan plate is from the kit, amber roof beacon is from the Spare Parts Box, and the bed toolbox is 3-D printed from Cults (it's not the best, but it fits the bill).  Color is Tamiya Orange TS-12 over grey primer.  Not totally sure what to do with the mini-bike.

20230718_191115.thumb.jpg.bfad85fe5e118bff9cdac8be803ad133.jpg20230718_191151.thumb.jpg.a63bb84963cc1223a34f084e71f0efee.jpg20230718_191219.thumb.jpg.678d10eb5c31b9ec36081777dd48a964.jpg20230718_191244.thumb.jpg.e4a4a1d82169159d6b322a7668ba7975.jpg20230703_123224.thumb.jpg.6a5eeb698ff62116de395e58a6f7169d.jpg

Underside:

20230627_135814.thumb.jpg.8ec73b020e28e87dd25688800e1ae63b.jpg

• Like 6

Nice job on the truck. My first true really owned new car was a 76 Ramcharger, I rear ended a Pinto in an accident (fortunately it didn't explode) so I was at fault and updated the front with a 78 grille assembly, Kept both grille and valance turn signals.  I had amber bulbs in clear lenses. Now I'll start the controversy of having clear or amber lenses in the grille. Was just looking on the Ramchargers web page and it seems that no one knows how or why there were two different turn signals in the same year. There was even a picture of a Pierce mini pumper with split lenses.

p.s. Take a little piece of square white stock and stick it on the fire wall as all good Chrysler products had the resister😃

greg 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate it.

@GLMFAA1 Interesting story.  Thanks for sharing.  I noticed that too about the turn signals, clear or amber.  There didn't seem to be any consistency!  The front turn signals are actually decals from the kit.  There are three of them on the sheet, and it took me a little while to figure out what they actually were.  At first, I thought they were mirrors (Italeri has done that), but that didn't make any sense as both sets of mirrors are chrome & the decals were too small anyway.

I seem to have forgotten to paint the bed light above the rear window.  Going to have to fix that.

The plan is to eventually pair this with a Diamond-REO C-116 dump truck.

Thanks for the follow up: To the collectors that might be scammed by someone dumping this kit in an old box: 1. the ink stamping on the bottom of the bed, 2. the bumpers had the year stamped at the plate, 3. the valance piece between the bumper and grille has the turn signals, 4. half of the baja kit are included/missing in this kit (roll bar, big tires and rims, and 4wd option).

greg

Great looking work truck and everything is cleanly put together. The cab lights and other parts make this look just like something the highway department would have. While it is only a nitpick and not to criticize but consider some small blocks on the bed floor to keep the floor jack from beating up the inside of the bed. Don't ask me how I know about such things. Like the clean overall look of this truck. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, av405 said:

Great build, I love the municipal truck look. I just had some of those same tool boxes printed for me. Did you foil or paint them?

Thanks, Alberto.  I painted the toolbox with Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Chrome.  Looks pretty good in scale.

• Like 1

Nice added touch with the fuel filler cap, something MPC forgot to really address as the 1:1 trucks moved away from the in cab fuel tank. 

Also, great job with the grille/splash apron fit. That's easily the worst part of the kit as far as parts fit goes.

• Thanks 1