Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished….Baja Bug

Fantom

Great weathering, the dusty finish is very realistic looking. Like your paint design and the roll bar set up. I'm working on the same conversion now and was wondering what you did with the inner front fender area? The exhaust is also something I'll need to work on, any suggestion there would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Great weathering, the dusty finish is very realistic looking. Like your paint design and the roll bar set up. I'm working on the same conversion now and was wondering what you did with the inner front fender area? The exhaust is also something I'll need to work on, any suggestion there would be appreciated. 

The inner fender on the front didn’t really cause a lot of issues…After removing the front fenders I had to cut back the nose to accommodate the bug eyed nose and then sanded everything flush on the sides. The exhaust I used is available from Texas 3D and fit their engine perfectly. I think it would fit the Tamiya engine with some work. 

1 hour ago, Fantom said:

The inner fender on the front didn’t really cause a lot of issues…After removing the front fenders I had to cut back the nose to accommodate the bug eyed nose and then sanded everything flush on the sides. The exhaust I used is available from Texas 3D and fit their engine perfectly. I think it would fit the Tamiya engine with some work. 

I'm useing the Revelle Type 1 for my bases. The hood lines up perfectly. The kit has inner fenders that I'm not sure are even needed on a normal build. The area behind the front wheels leaves the front end and part of the interior visible without the inner fenders. I'm going to fab something to hide all that. 

Superb work on this Baja bug. I am floored by the realism of your tires. What paint did you use to get that look on them? I have the wide-eyed kit and will be working on it soon (soon being a relative term), also have their engine and stinger exhaust.  Also like your paint scheme. Very nice overall build.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Superb work on this Baja bug. I am floored by the realism of your tires. What paint did you use to get that look on them? I have the wide-eyed kit and will be working on it soon (soon being a relative term), also have their engine and stinger exhaust.  Also like your paint scheme. Very nice overall build.

The tires were given a heavy wash of Tamiya “Buff” it’s a nice tan color and before it was completely dry I wiped them down to remove paint from the high spots. 

I appreciate all the kind words, I really had fun with this build!!!