Model Cars Magazine Forum

BUNNYS !!!

Mike 1017

I found these guys while watering our green pepper garden. All of a sudden I see things crawling out of a hole in the dirt. At first I thought that these were big snakes. I relocated them down by the woods by me. I have told my wife not to plant rabbit food.

Mike

IMG_2569.thumb.JPG.de7b65cfa5a1963d9fbc535ca7ea0218.JPG

IMG_2568.thumb.JPG.2e96eff01037fe17f7f66e587ec4e2a3.JPG

• Like 3

Rabbits aren't very bright when it comes to a safe place to raise their young. A few years ago, I was mowing the lawn and ran over a Rabbit nest in the middle of the yard. The grass wasn't more than 4 or 5 inches high, but they had hollowed out a small depression that I couldn't see from the rider until I had hit a couple of the babies. Felt bad about it, but it is one way to cull the heard, I think. 

Rabbits make a lot of mistakes...put the little ones in the wrong places, abandon them at the slightest hint that they won't make it, and don't really do too much to protect or defend them.  Easier to go off and make some more, and try again.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:28 PM, Mike 1017 said:

I found these guys while watering our green pepper garden. All of a sudden I see things crawling out of a hole in the dirt. At first I thought that these were big snakes. I relocated them down by the woods by me. I have told my wife not to plant rabbit food.

Mike

IMG_2569.thumb.JPG.de7b65cfa5a1963d9fbc535ca7ea0218.JPG

IMG_2568.thumb.JPG.2e96eff01037fe17f7f66e587ec4e2a3.JPG

I would NEVER disturb the baby rabbits. Leave them alone where you found them. Momma rabbit is probably nearby. Now you’ve already relocated and separated the babies from the momma, they WILL NOT survive.  The momma rabbit will not find her babies.  Don’t believe me, google it.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I would NEVER disturb the baby rabbits. Leave them alone where you found them. Momma rabbit is probably nearby. Now you’ve already relocated and separated the babies from the momma, they WILL NOT survive.  The momma rabbit will not find her babies.  Don’t believe me, google it.  

Do Rabbits Carry Any Contagious Diseases (totalrabbit.com)

3 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

Musky Bait!

...and yea, once you touch them the mommy rejects them. Probably Owl food by now.

Yup... or fox, coyote, vultures, etc...

Similar incidents are everywhere where folks are completely clueless to know to leave wild animals alone. Yellowstone has the most idiotic & stupid tourists getting too close to wild animals or trying to "rescue" Bison calves - which BTW, rangers end up euthanized them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

Musky Bait!

...and yea, once you touch them the mommy rejects them. Probably Owl food by now.

I don't know too much about rabbits, but I've heard this over and over again, since I was a child, about mother birds rejecting their babies if touched by human hands.

Complete BS!

It was an old wives tale most likely started by mothers who didn't want their kids dragging home ever baby bird they found in the neighborhood.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

i dont know why people go nuts when they see a rat and must kill it, yet rabbit are treated more like pets. they are vermin, filled with diseases and destroy crops yet people think they are cute and fluffy. and what does it matter if a couple of baby rabbits get rejected? they'll be replaced by another 6-12 in less than 2 months. theres a reason they say "at it like rabbits"

also if handling young animals caused the parents to reject it, then we wouldn't have farming

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

i dont know why people go nuts when they see a rat and must kill it, yet rabbit are treated more like pets. they are vermin, filled with diseases and destroy crops yet people think they are cute and fluffy. and what does it matter if a couple of baby rabbits get rejected? they'll be replaced by another 6-12 in less than 2 months. theres a reason they say "at it like rabbits

This is exactly how I feel about deer.  Cute or majestic?  Hit one while driving sometime and tell me how you feel about them.

Sorry.  Back on topic…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitchdup said:

i dont know why people go nuts when they see a rat and must kill it, yet rabbit are treated more like pets.

I get your drift, but rabbits don't chew their way into my house and destroy my wiring and bite my children. :)

But, I understand where you're coming from.

My back yard is full of garter snakes, but I'll still let them get out of the way when I come across one on the lawn mower.

My feeling is that regardless of the species, they're all gods creatures and don't deserve to die just because they share the planet with us.

I have more respect for snakes and rats than I do some of the people that we cohabit the planet with.

There are plenty of two legged "vermin" out there too.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I get your drift, but rabbits don't chew their way into my house and destroy my wiring and bite my children. :)

But, I understand where you're coming from.

My back yard is full of garter snakes, but I'll still let them get out of the way when I come across one on the lawn mower.

My feeling is that regardless of the species, they're all gods creatures and don't deserve to die just because they share the planet with us.

I have more respect for snakes and rats than I do some of the people that we cohabit the planet with.

There are plenty of two legged "vermin" out there too.

Steve

I dont disagree, but i'm from farming families. rabbits are a much bigger pest than rats and they love to eat wiring as much as rats and mice, especially on sheep farms

14 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I dont disagree, but i'm from farming families. rabbits are a much bigger pest than rats and they love to eat wiring as much as rats and mice, especially on sheep farms

I understand.

For farmers and ranchers, pretty much anything that isn't their livestock is "a pest".

Coyotes, fox, wolves, mice, rats, rabbits, deer.......the list goes on.

I'm no bleeding heart conservationist, but at times, you have to ask yourself, who was here first, the rancher, or the rabbits.

seems to me that they have just as much right to be there as we do.

Steve

43 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes, but which of you really had "the right of way"? ;)

Steve

Me!!

I did not hit it.  "She" ran into my left front fender, tail-ended & crapped on the drivers door of my Tahoe.... ($6K on my insurance)

They belong to the DNR until it costs you damages!!

26 minutes ago, Khils said:

Me!!

I did not hit it.  "She" ran into my left front fender, tail-ended & crapped on the drivers door of my Tahoe.... ($6K on my insurance)

They belong to the DNR until it costs you damages!!

I've hit my share of deer over the years too Kevin, but you're missing my point.

We all have the tendency to complain about the things about nature that inconvenience us, and praise the ones that we love.

As people, a good portion of us love to hunt and fish and hike and kayak, etc, but we also have to understand that we are encroaching upon "their" environment, and we have to take the good with the bad and understand that natural things were not put on this planet just for our convenience, use and enjoyment.

Our only option to avoid hitting deer with our car, or not having to deal with snakes or rats or rabbits, is to kill them all and ask questions later.

Wouldn't be much of a world at all if we killed them all.

Hitting a deer is a traumatic experience for anyone, but I don't hate them because one decided to cross over a highway to get a drink of water.

He has as much of a right to go where he wants as I do, and you could reasonably say that it was just as much my fault for driving my car through his stomping grounds as it was his fault.

I guess you could call me an animal lover to some extent, although I've never really thought of myself as such, but when I have had the misfortune of hitting a deer, I feel more remorse for the life that I just took than I do for my fender.

Sure, I've got a busted car, but he's dead.

That's more than a fair trade in my opinion.

Steve

• Like 3