Model Cars Magazine Forum

"New" AMT '34 Ford 5-Window Coupe

Snake45

To get an accurate sedan body, one would probably start with the coupe, and piece in the back portion from sections of a Revell '32 sedan body.  I wouldn't even try to make the raised detail on the sides match up, instead I'd remove all of it from the sedan portion and add it back again once the overall body shape and fit are established.

• Like 1

I can see why the sedan would lead the discussion, but wasn't that first red 5-window box model cobbled from an Aurora kit?

For anyone who might not know, the actual body shell in the rod version is represented by the boxcover for the green stock model - ridiculously better.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
clarity

I've heard the first box art model was built with a resin copy of an Aurora '34.  It'll be interesting to see if Atlantis might have either of the two Aurora '34 coupes...guess we'll find out once they get Ford licensing.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 4:49 PM, Mark said:

I've heard the first box art model was built with a resin copy of an Aurora '34.  It'll be interesting to see if Atlantis might have either of the two Aurora '34 coupes...guess we'll find out once they get Ford licensing.

When Monogram bought out Aurora the order was given to scrap any tools that were deemed as duplications of existing Monogram subjects, or not viable from a marketing standpoint. I doubt the 34 tool still exists, but it sure would be cool if it did. And yes, as I recall AMT/Ertl did utilize an Aurora 34 body on the the original box art model.

9 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

When Monogram bought out Aurora the order was given to scrap any tools that were deemed as duplications of existing Monogram subjects, or not viable from a marketing standpoint. I doubt the 34 tool still exists, but it sure would be cool if it did. And yes, as I recall AMT/Ertl did utilize an Aurora 34 body on the the original box art model.

From the pics I've seen of built examples of that kit, despite everyone clamoring for one, I thought it looked as bad or worse then the '70s AMT version.

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

From the pics I've seen of built examples of that kit, despite everyone clamoring for one, I thought it looked as bad or worse then the '70s AMT version.

I built both (but never finished the AMT 3W as it was so bad).  FWIW, I think the Aurora kits were better than the original AMT, though still no comparison to the Monogram or the AMT 5W kits.  I may have some photos of the Aurora kits at my fotki site; i'lll check and post here if they are...TB i 

7 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I've had a few in my collection. See below. They weren't as good as the current tool AMT kit, but I the think 70s AMT 3 window was definitely worse. Didn't it (like Revell) share the 23 T chassis and running gear? 

20230802_151247.jpg

20230802_150250.jpg

20230802_150311.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Didn't it (like Revell) share the 23 T chassis and running gear? 

No, not the whole chassis. It did share the hotrod Chevy engine and some of the suspension parts like the axles and wheels but didn't share the main frame etc.

I should add, that was only the hot rod parts that were shared between the kits, not any of the stock parts.

Edited by Can-Con

The Only thing going for the Aurora kit in my opinion, is the Alternate Engine options. 

That funky Front Cover, and some of the other parts are killer.

Tim has pics of it in one of his Hot Rod V-8 Engine articles in the now defunct magazine.

Aurora 1934 Ford Hotrod inst 1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Maybe time to start talking nice to the good folks at Revell?

A new and properly done 1933-34 Ford hot rod kit series, ala the '32 hot rod kits, had been on Revell's potential kit list since at least the early 2000's.  But there were always higher priorities, and it never made the final cut.  Since the Hobbico bankruptcy and German holding company acquisition, I have lost touch with this part of Revell's business and have no idea where this idea stands (or even it if it is still on the list).  My guess is no.  Too bad....

Best....TIM 

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Well, I was wrong. Turns out the fancy V-8 is in the Hot Rod 1922 Model T kit.

File9

The '22 Ford V8 engine is basically a crib of the Lincoln engine from the AMT '25 Ford double kit, with Corvette valve covers copied from the Double Dragster kit.  

The '34 coupe engine looks like a Pontiac, probably copied from AMT's '36 Ford kit.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know what engine this is supposed to represent? On the instruction sheet it shows "Chevrolet" valve covers that look like a small block, but the spacing of the exhaust ports on the heads are evenly spaced more like a big block. The part # 77 is listed as being a fuel injection unit. This reminds me of the Lathum super charger from the old AMT chopped model A with the 430 Lincoln engine but turned around.  The intake manifold looks as if it's raised indicating the engine may have a valley cover? 

On 8/20/2023 at 8:19 PM, Can-Con said:

I dunno guys, that Aurora kit just looks "odd" to me. The back window and grille are the worst offenders. Just can't get around them. The front fender openings look off too. 

I agree with you. The grille is short and squat. But the 70s AMT 3 window has a similar problem, plus oddly shaped side windows. I've picked up the AMTs at swap meets, opened the box, looked at it, then put them back down in the past.  The Aurora 34s aren't ideal, but they aren't as bad. I have some plans for the newer tool AMT kit. Stay tuned.

20230820_105358.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I agree with you. The grille is short and squat. But the 70s AMT 3 window has a similar problem, plus oddly shaped side windows. I've picked up the AMTs at swap meets, opened the box, looked at it, then put them back down in the past.  The Aurora 34s aren't ideal, but they aren't as bad. I have some plans for the newer tool AMT kit. Stay tuned.

20230820_105358.jpg

You guys are really making me want to dig into the AMT kit. I thought I had 2 copies but it seems I only have the one. 

Maybe a community build like with the '29 pickups??

• Like 2

Funny you should mention that. I am in the process of mating an MPC 34 Slammer Ford 3 window coupe to an AMT 34 Pickup chassis and motor and radiator. I've had to fabricate some body parts: rear wheel wells, cowl, firewall, dashboard, roll cage and a few more tidbits, in an attempt to create an old time perhaps fifties early sixties stockcar. W.I.P 

20230711_181619.jpg

20230723_144517.jpg

34 Ford truck chassis.jpg

34 Ford truck chassis 4.jpg

• Like 6