Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great youtube channel some interesting build techniques

I found his chrome treatment interesting. I may have to try that on some spare parts.🙂 I do need to test fit stuff more. Failure to do it has caused me issues in the past. However, I don’t see how assembling engine and differential halves temporarily with PVA is productive.🤔

On 8/20/2023 at 4:58 AM, NOBLNG said:

I found his chrome treatment interesting. I may have to try that on some spare parts.🙂 I do need to test fit stuff more. Failure to do it has caused me issues in the past. However, I don’t see how assembling engine and differential halves temporarily with PVA is productive.🤔

I think it does make sense. By white gluing everything you can check everything before permantly gluing anything. Doing all allows checking the wheelbase and no issues in the engine compartment. 

His box stock builds are impressive. His method is definitely the way to go for any type of build.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:58 AM, NOBLNG said:

However, I don’t see how assembling engine and differential halves temporarily with PVA is productive.

While I'm a big proponent of test fitting and temporarily assembling kits before painting and permanent assembly, I have to agree that for certain specific items (like the ones Greg mentioned) test assembly does not really make sense.

40 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think the point is he has a process that works for him and he feels it worthwhile to assemble the whole kit with white glue. I think his results speak volumes.

However there is nothing keeping others for using a modified process. I will continue to follow the videos for this project.

I don't think  anybody is stating that he is doing something wrong, or that you should stop watching his videos.  I know I'm not saying that, but I also think we are all free to offer some additional suggestions too. I'm simply mentioning that I use a "modified" process of logically determining which parts will be temporarily assembled.

Th the engine parts and why he does a full white glue assembly.Wasn't saying anybody was going to stop watching. I do think it will be interesting to see if he makes corrections to the rear end and engine assembly.

Also the more you deviate from doingng a full test assembly I think there is more of a chance of having an assembly issue. Also somebody could ask him if he's had issues wi

Bob, think about it logically.  Complete items made up of 2 parts, such as the rear end, or engine block can be just glued together without test fitting them first. Why? Because even if they have to be modified to fit into the model, the modifications can be made to the assembled block or rear end. There would be no advantage, as I see it, to being able to modify them in separate halves. The halves halves either fit together or don't. If you think about it, you will see what I mean. But if you don't see it, that's ok too.  Like I mentioned, I'm just voicing my take on test fitting model parts.

I understand your point. But he has a process and philosphy for his builds.

Step one select parts for selected version.

Step two do a temporary build with white glue.

His next step is fixing any issues before final assembly and check work.

Only then will he start permanent assembling parts.

This is his process for assembly. 

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I understand your point. But he has a process and philosphy for his builds.

Step one select parts for selected version.

Step two do a temporary build with white glue.

His next step is fixing any issues before final assembly and check work.

Only then will he start permanent assembling parts.

This is his process for assembly. 

And if that process works for him (and it looks like it does) that’s all that matters. My point was that assembling engine halves with PVA temporarily is unnecessary. Like Pete said…they either fit or they don’t. It’s just a step that needs to be undone.😕 I suspect he only did it for the video in order to keep it simple and consistent. JMO

Edited by NOBLNG

Pre-assembly is a must do when you start modifiying kits. The main reason is to check that the parts go together well and that it looks OK especially the stance of the model. I have not used white glue for this but may give it a try. Check out the the Mock Up posts in the WIP to see what I mean.

I have yet to check out the vids but will when i get a chance.

See pix below - this kit has a frame and engine from a Revell 29A and a body from AMT 34 pickup and front and rear ends from the parts boxalong with a lot of scratch built and after market parts

IMG_3275.JPG

On 8/23/2023 at 2:52 PM, bill-e-boy said:

Pre-assembly is a must do when you start modifiying kits. The main reason is to check that the parts go together well and that it looks OK especially the stance of the model. I have not used white glue for this but may give it a try. Check out the the Mock Up posts in the WIP to see what I mean.

I have yet to check out the vids but will when i get a chance.

See pix below - this kit has a frame and engine from a Revell 29A and a body from AMT 34 pickup and front and rear ends from the parts boxalong with a lot of scratch built and after market parts

IMG_3275.JPG

That’s interesting - did you use the Deuce frame from the ‘29 kit or the Model A frame?  Can’t quite tell from the pic…