Model Cars Magazine Forum

EVs...

BlackSheep214

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en

Been going for a few years with no issues. Many a spectacular crash too.

https://www.fiawec.com/en/classes/32

Hypercar class is hybrid, and have large battery packs too. Again, been a few years, and no issues, many crashes.

Race series like NASCAR or Indy will most likely switch to biofuel or synthetic fuels. At least for a while.

I wonder if similar discussions were had when they decided indoor water and plumbing should become mainstream or maybe when cellular phones came to market and ruined the landline phone industry. Maybe when video killed the radio star.

Things change. Some things you have no input to whether they change or not. We will probably all be dead when they outlaw IC engines in cars. Before they are outlawed, it will be very expensive to own or run one. They need to squeeze that last dollar out of it.

• Like 1

Ironically when the first automobile became more prevalent I'm sure that there were similar conversions. When wagons were pulled by horses and mules it was simple to get food for them. There no real gas stations and roads were pretty minimal. What was adequate for a wagon wasn't necessarily the best for a car.

As far as racing goes it will adapt and continue. Safety features will be mandated to protect the drivers and spectators as has been done in the past.

8 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Ironically when the first automobile became more prevalent I'm sure that there were similar conversions. When wagons were pulled by horses and mules it was simple to get food for them. There no real gas stations and roads were pretty minimal. What was adequate for a wagon wasn't necessarily the best for a car.

In the early days of the horseless carriage wasn't there a law that a person with a flag was supposed to walk some distance in front of the vehicle to warn people of the incoming vehicle?  That tells you of the breakneck speed those vehicles could achieve.

Same thing happened when first railroads were built - people were afraid that traveling faster than 25 MPH would do something nasty to the human body. Plus those contraptions spooked the horses used as a main means of transportation.

We seem  to have adapted to and embraced all those weird contraptions. Well, except maybe for Amish (and some wild tribes in Africa and South America).

Edited by peteski

Interesting article I found tonight. Basically it hits all points why I always said EVs are a poor investment and pure garbage to own.

I'd rather invest in a hybrid vehicle than an EV.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-hybrids/10-reasons-why-electric-cars-still-suck/ar-AA1g48W8?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=28e2ecc688464ef388923a9aab7f7c9b&ei=9

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I agree. Hybrids that don't need to be plugged in make the most sense. You get the advantages of both gas and electric power.

Bingo! Now the word in the news Ford is ceasing production of certain ICE SUVs by 2030(?). That's going to be their downfall when they find out the hard way nobody is buying electric SUVs and trucks. 

I think that Ford's biggest mistake is giving up the entry- and mid-range market. Sure they have the Maverick, but the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion,and EcoSport are gone, and the Edge and Escape are soon to follow. Selling fewer cars and trucks at higher margins is a noble idea, but their dealers around here are generally slimeballs that have no idea how to treat an Mercedes- or Audi-class customer during the sale or in the service department.

13 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Bingo! Now the word in the news Ford is ceasing production of certain ICE SUVs by 2030(?). That's going to be their downfall when they find out the hard way nobody is buying electric SUVs and trucks. 

They are going to be even more surprised when they find out no one wants to work on them…..

On 8/30/2023 at 2:51 PM, peteski said:

Question?  Have you ever driven an  EV?

I have, and I was amazed at the instant and silent acceleration. No throttle lag or turbo lag - it just goes instantly!  Not only I was pushed into the seat, I could feel the blood draining back from my face! Electric motor have maximum torque at zero RPMs,  And this was a plain Tesla Model 3 (low end Tesla). 

That ride in the Tesla was a birthday gift from my GF last October. She heard me mention few times that I would like to experience driving an electric car (like the brake-less driving, and fast acceleration) - well, I did experience all that.  She rented that Tesla for one day, and we both drove it.  I think it was the best birthday gift I ever got.

If you have the funds to do it, I highly recommend to rent one of the EVs for a day. It will change your view about those vehicles.  These are not little put-put toys. EVs are real cars with  lots of power.

I'll never waste my hard earned dollar renting an EV for a day. I have zero interest in EVs. 

4 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I'll never waste my hard earned dollar renting an EV for a day. I have zero interest in EVs. 

Well, whatever dude.  You'll never know what you didn't try.  I'm not really interested in buying one either, but I was curious how they work.  Now I know, and I feel educated.

• Like 2