Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restomod '57 Chevy Cameo

Found a set of headers from an old reissue of the AMT '65 Chevelle wagon with close to the right port spacing. 

Added flanges and bolt head detail made from stretched sprue and shot it with some spray can silver laquer.

image.png.d407bd44cc32b5de0489689bd473758a.png

image.png.aa3f5421d959fb1a1fd481dfccb3a9dc.png

Also dremmelled out the flat surface of the headlight bezels where the lenses go and foiled them before adding the lenses. I think it looks better then the flat surface behind there.

image.png.066f3cb5303eb20cd08b4aa60f131196.png

14 hours ago, TheBEAUMONTGURU said:

Nice details,  really like the 2tone color combo you have chosen!

Thanks. Seeing as you're building a Laurentian I thought you might like to see this,,

Klik on where it says "replies" below to see the finished car.

,,and another one,,

Edited by Can-Con

The interior is ready to install.

The MCG photoetch set only came with 4 dash knobs but it needed 6. So I pirated a couple and an extra lock face for the glove box from another set.

The instrument transparency came with the PE sheet.

image.png.ed14adce3fb1e96db11eb20c7e661509.png

image.png.b49f92a26f9b1489e27711fc77c7f25d.png

image.png.9bc58ca7afe656a77bdd98aebbbe7831.png

image.png.e930bfd9595ebb1ca291a05c08d10296.png

image.png.a30617edb2d22e5eb7075eca4fe087f1.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Made some filler pieces and step foot wells to help hide the most glaring omission to these kits, the huge gap between the interior bucket and cab body.

Hope to have it finished up in a sew more days.

image.png.8a385b1f41ed4eef852ff903457cc6c4.png

Edited by Can-Con

14 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

Nice way of fixing that front windshield, and the bronze color, looks so good

who makes those wheels? 3D printed?Seems like we’re made for that Chevy!

Thanks. The wheels were printed for me by a buddy of mine. 

Took a couple days, about 6 hours in total to get the exhaust done up. Not happy with how low it hangs but to correct it I'd have to pull the engine and section some height out of the headers. 

I thought I had it figured out pretty well but when I but the cab on the frame, the engine and tranny held it up some in spite of me enlarging the transmission hump. I didn't make it large enough and didn't want to redo the interior floor so I ground some off the crossmember so the tranny sat a bit lower, which in turn made the headers lower. I also had to make a pair of mufflers as I couldn't find a matching pair in my stash. .But it's done now and the pipes are all painted. 

image.png.a4fe83abe52129b7ce890bff0dccb179.png

On 1/8/2024 at 3:43 PM, Can-Con said:

Took a couple days, about 6 hours in total to get the exhaust done up. Not happy with how low it hangs but to correct it I'd have to pull the engine and section some height out of the headers. 

I thought I had it figured out pretty well but when I but the cab on the frame, the engine and tranny held it up some in spite of me enlarging the transmission hump. I didn't make it large enough and didn't want to redo the interior floor so I ground some off the crossmember so the tranny sat a bit lower, which in turn made the headers lower. I also had to make a pair of mufflers as I couldn't find a matching pair in my stash. .But it's done now and the pipes are all painted. 

image.png.a4fe83abe52129b7ce890bff0dccb179.png

A thought based on what I have seen done on some TV builds of 1:1 Street Rods. Your idea of chopping the headers would raise the exhaust, the cross members could be created with a section of hollow tubbing allowing the exhaust pipe to pass thru the cross member. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

A thought based on what I have seen done on some TV builds of 1:1 Street Rods. Your idea of chopping the headers would raise the exhaust, the cross members could be created with a section of hollow tubbing allowing the exhaust pipe to pass thru the cross member. 

It's a good thought David but it's in the final stages now. Bumpers, mirrors and such. I'll just have to plan a bit further ahead next time. 

I'll just chalk it up to a "learning experience". 😉

• Like 1