Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to make high detailed engines?

I’m really interested in making more high end and realistic model engines, but I have no idea what the components of an engine are. How am I supposed to know which wires go where? Reference images aren’t working out so much. (I have all kinds of stuff that I need aftermarket for the model)

You could start with some simple things, like battery cables and heater hoses........ If you wanted to go all out, pick one of the good builders here (like Mr. Guthmiller, one of the best here! ) and follow their WIP threads...... Usually they will explain what all has been done.

• Like 1

You need to spend some time learning the basics of ignition, cooling and charging before taking on any attempts at underhood detailing.  Once you've got that, reference pictures will make more sense and you can use them optimize your efforts.  

• Like 2

Going to step in gingerly, say something, then retreat.

I have seen a lot of your posts here and I am excited that we have a new member.

My suggestion is that you ignore trying to duplicate all of the truly amazing, super detailed builds on here and focus on getting basic paint and assembly skills down. I don't think you seem to be at that level yet, but I hope I am wrong.

• Like 4

I am an average builder here. I took a swing at a highly detailed engine for the challenge. Take the philosophy of treating each part as a model of its own. (a concept shared by others) Be advised that doing so is very time consuming and will delay the satisfaction of the completed build. I would suggest practicing 1st on ignition wires then move on to adding cables and hoses on you 1st few builds. On later builds you can add things like brake lines and throttle linkages. I caution against trying all of the above at once.

74 HO engine 1.JPG

74 HO engine 2.JPG

• Like 4

I still struggle with complex things like carb linkages. Like others have said, battery cables, plug wires, radiator and heater hoses are basics. I'll do brake lines off the master... that vanish into nowhere.

Whatever you do has to look flawless. I see too many "detailed" builds that are too sloppy when displayed.

• Like 2

As the others have said, take it one step at a time. I’ve been building for 40 years off and on and I still haven’t mastered the “Master Detailer” skills yet. What I HAVE done is try to incorporate something new into every build.

A wise man(and very masterful builder) once told me to “treat each step of a build as if it were its own model”. Start out small with maybe plug wires, then once you’ve mastered it, move on to heater hoses or battery cables.

Take your time, mistakes WILL happen. I don’t consider them mistakes but, learning experiences to build off of. Sorry for the incoherent reply, I have a tough time finding the words for my thoughts at times.

And above all else remember it’s only plastic, have fun with it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Rodent said:

Going to step in gingerly, say something, then retreat.

I have seen a lot of your posts here and I am excited that we have a new member.

My suggestion is that you ignore trying to duplicate all of the truly amazing, super detailed builds on here and focus on getting basic paint and assembly skills down. I don't think you seem to be at that level yet, but I hope I am wrong.

This is excellent advice. The fundamentals are your basic foundation. 

Here is a link to the some videos that will get you off to a good start. You will learn a great deal from these videos from a man who was a mastermodel builder and shared that knowledge. If you follow his process you will build models that you can be proud of.

• Like 2

1) start with as many great reference photos of the subject you are building as possible (know your subject)

2) think in terms of what you will need to create as many of those "not in the box" details as possible on your chosen kit

3) collect as many materials as possible (aftermarket, repurposed bits and pieces, spare parts) that will help you replicate those details

4) tackle your build and detailing in a methodical way that allows those extras to be added where they show and won't be messed up by building subsequent parts of the kit

A good way to start is by mastering "box stock," and then you can get into adding basic details common to most vehicles, like spark plug wiring, hoses, labels, markings, correct colors as you learn about vehicles in general and the one you are building specifically. As you start to get proficient with those extra details, you can add more and improve kit parts to better replicate the subject. As someone else has mentioned, jumping in with too much extra detail right out of the gate is a good way to stall an otherwise complete-able project and discourage yourself in the process. Pick some extra details you'd like to add to a kit, get it across the finish line, and then think in terms of what else you can add to the next one as you start to learn about that next project and its 1:1 counterpart. Building models is an evolution, so don't expect to super detail one until you are both familiar with the subject and what you can add to the model that will look convincing.

One thing I started doing early on was to buy two kits of a subject I was going to build- you can separate and break down parts molded together in the box into single components for detail painting and better realism. Examples of this would be shaving off pieces molded to the firewall and inner fenders like wiper and blower motors, relays, regulators and other underhood details and grafting in parts removed from your second kit after detail painting them. You can do the same with suspension and chassis pieces that were originally molded into one assembly in the box. Another would be breaking down interior or engine components into separate parts and painting them separately before gluing them back together. While I know that buying multiples gets expensive at today's kit prices, you can coax more detail out of a model by doing so. Once you've mastered that, you may find you can scratch build individual parts of the vehicle more convincingly out of styrene stock, metal stock or other materials you have laying around. A good example of this is to replace kit driveshafts with shaped and painted aluminum or brass tubing, and gluing the kit u-joints to your new, perfectly round driveshaft. You can do the same with shock absorbers.

It is easy to fall down the high detail rabbit hole, I know I did!  I am also new to model building but I have a solid background in graphic arts so I trust my abilities to paint and build but I am more worried about the micro size details that I want to add!  I will say that on my first few models, details will be above average but I won’t be going super crazy with intricate detail at first!  My old eyes an fat fingers may not even allow it!  Upgraded parts and engines along with basic wiring and piping will be my focus at first!

• Like 1

I think you've gotten a lot of solid modeling advice. One thing I'll add is how to increase your car knowledge. There are tons of great youtube channels that can help you learn about the components of a car. Vice Grip Garage, DD Speed Shop, Junkyard Digs, Pole Barn Garage, Stay Tuned are some of my favorites. Just find someone you enjoy watching who works on the kind of stuff you like.

I was always into engines as a kid. home-grown motor bikes, boats at an early age as in 14... worked as an outboard motor mechanic, moved onto motorcycles and cars once I was old enough to drive. Did a bunch of street racing, eventually wandered into the world of stock cars. I drove for a few years locally. This is how I got to know what-goes-where on a car.

Like I mentioned, fuel systems like dual quads, injectors are a challenge to detail up. I get fuel tees from Pro Tech. I also have some really small brass tubing I could use. This stuff is TINY for sure. It has to look right or becomes a waste.

Modeling of any subject presents a tremendous opportunity to learn.

As a callow youth, my interest in building models and natural curiosity about the workings of the world around me led to my reading as much about cars and ships and trains and planes as I could find time for.

Eventually, my basic understanding of things mechanical led to my being able to work on my own vehicles, an education in mechanical engineering (with a side of electrical), and a multi-faceted career during which I became intimately familiar with everything concerning a car.

There are many entry-level publications that look like (though I've never read any of these) they'd go a long way towards explaining vehicle systems, parts, and function...without which you really can't build technically accurate (or even reasonably correct) models.

How Cars WorkHow Car Engine Works?: internal combustion engine An under the hood, Car Science, engine parts, inline engine, V engine, four     CAR BASICS PARTS & SYSTEMS: Learn how your car works, Internal combustion engine, Car Science, engine parts,Auto Fundamentals 

Car Science: An Under-the-Hood, Behind-the-Dash Look at How Cars Work

Once you understand the function of all the parts, you'll be more likely to understand and be able to apply what you're seeing in internet images of whatever you want to model.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

There is plenty of great advice here already.  Most important thing is to keep it fun.  Start with the basic things.  As you add more detail it's more like building a full-size car and it will take real car references - manuals, books, magazines...  lots of information in the real car parts of the internet. Trips to car shows can be helpful as well as enjoyable.